House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Converted Lurker

The Rise Of The Neets, One In Five Kids Aged 16-17 Do Nowt

well 20% do nothing... :(

18% of 16-to-17s 'doing nothing'

The government insists that the number of NEETs is falling. Nearly one in five UK 16 and 17-year-olds are Neets - those neither in employment, education or training - a study seen by the BBC suggests. Official figures say such youths make up 7% of their age group in England. But research by the London School of Economics (LSE) says 18% across the UK spend most of their time doing nothing. Children's Minister Beverley Hughes said: "We are making preparations now for every young person of 16 to 17 to be in education or training."

'Narrowly focused'

Official figures take into account any work or training by young people over several weeks - no matter how limited. But the LSE's researchers based their analysis on what teenagers spend most of their time doing - putting the number of Neets at 18% of 16 and 17-year-olds across the UK.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7515042.stm

well 20% do nothing... :(

The government insists that the number of NEETs is falling. Nearly one in five UK 16 and 17-year-olds are Neets - those neither in employment, education or training - a study seen by the BBC suggests. Official figures say such youths make up 7% of their age group in England. But research by the London School of Economics (LSE) says 18% across the UK spend most of their time doing nothing. Children's Minister Beverley Hughes said: "We are making preparations now for every young person of 16 to 17 to be in education or training."

'Narrowly focused'

Official figures take into account any work or training by young people over several weeks - no matter how limited. But the LSE's researchers based their analysis on what teenagers spend most of their time doing - putting the number of Neets at 18% of 16 and 17-year-olds across the UK.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7515042.stm

The Government insists on too many things that fly in the face of reality.

But NuLabour couldn't care a t*ss - they've looked after their kids.

****** this government and their careerist leanings. If they aren't claiming benefit what they do is not the business of the government.

Edited by BoomBoom

a ticking time bomb IMHO. These kids may see through all the bull5hit and that number (which at 1 in 5 is incredibly high) could grow exponentially as the next govt will have no option but to reduce the welfare bill and cut an extra million adrift. With no means of support or opportunities that's a dangerous scenario. V.worrying..

Nearly one in five UK 16 and 17-year-olds are Neets - those neither in employment, education or training - a study seen by the BBC suggests.

I hate to be pedantic (well actually I don't), but how can you be neither of three things? "I'm neither Belgian, a librarian, nor bald".

They are not as stupid as this government seems to think they are. Worthless training or dead end job, no brainer really.

exactly. these hoodies know the score more than we give them credit for. they might as well pretend to me MCs.

and if they are too dumb to see the real picture. the nature of their situation yields the same results regardless.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Lucky bastards.

This government seems to be failing in absolutely every respect.

NR was bravely rescued :rolleyes:

Mad Jack Straw told us he was fed up with us walking on by when children misbehaved, when we should have been taking them to task.

(Years ago. Who remembers it? - It was before I ran away; but it certainly speeded up my exit.......... esp. when I didn't see mass derision in the press.)

NR was bravely rescued :rolleyes:

Mad Jack Straw told us he was fed up with us walking on by when children misbehaved, when we should have been taking them to task.

(Years ago. Who remembers it? - It was before I ran away; but it certainly speeded up my exit.......... esp. when I didn't see mass derision in the press.)

You ran away Laura? Me too :rolleyes: Trouble is, I came back :(

I hate to be pedantic (well actually I don't), but how can you be neither of three things? "I'm neither Belgian, a librarian, nor bald".

I deconstruct it as follows :

neither in employment, education or training = neither in (employment) -or- (education or training)

thus making the neither ok.

But I am a lefty apologist this morning with a hangover. Normal service will be resumed when my head stops hurting.

TFH