House Price Crash Forum
Jonnybegood

Police Funding To Be Cut

No more money for policing is the message coming from Mr Darling.

Police forces in Wales are already preparing for less funding

http://thisissouthwales.co.uk/displayNode....;pNodeId=161375

Welsh police forces have today set out how they can work together to cut crime and spend money more efficiently ahead of a predicted drop in funding.
A national Welsh policing plan says the Dyfed-Powys, Gwent, South Wales and North Wales forces should prepare to lose a combined £47million by 2010/11.

So will this mean the end of Police BMW & Lexus vehicles, it does not seem that long ago the traffic police used Rovers and Ford Granadas, there were far more police vehicles on the roads back then but still those vehicles did the job and so do the Vectra and Mondeo today.

The police however seemed to think that BMW & 4x4 Lexus vehicles suited them better along with top of the range Volvos, apart from the initial costs of purchase, repair and maintenance on these vehicles must also be higher compared to Ford and Vauxhall vehicles.

It seems crazy that at a time when we turn to the police force more and more especially civil unrest that has been mentioned and increasing levels of crime coming our way they decide to cut funding.

Just like our energy it seems the police are suffering due to lack of planning during the good times in readiness for the bad times.

Why not just make a load of coppers redundant to save lots of money?

They are totally useless these days anyway. They do not protect and serve us any more and no one has`any respect or trust for them.

They have lost the support of ordinary decent people a long time ago.

Just a bunch of Robocops with no common sense or discression.

They are totally useless these days anyway. They do not protect and serve us any more and no one has`any respect or trust for them.

I disagree. Too much time is spent on completing useless paperwork. What we should do is scrap the £18 billion plus ID card scheme.

So will this mean the end of Police BMW & Lexus vehicles, it does not seem that long ago the traffic police used Rovers and Ford Granadas, there were far more police vehicles on the roads back then but still those vehicles did the job and so do the Vectra and Mondeo today.

Bring back the Sweeney in nostalgic cars such as these:

http://www.thesweeney.info/motors/index.php

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
I disagree. Too much time is spent on completing useless paperwork. What we should do is scrap the £18 billion plus ID card scheme.

And the £X Bn NHS IT scheme which will probably never work, anyway.

No more money for policing is the message coming from Mr Darling.

Police forces in Wales are already preparing for less funding

http://thisissouthwales.co.uk/displayNode....;pNodeId=161375

The police however seemed to think that BMW & 4x4 Lexus vehicles suited them better along with top of the range Volvos, apart from the initial costs of purchase, repair and maintenance on these vehicles must also be higher compared to Ford and Vauxhall vehicles.

It seems crazy that at a time when we turn to the police force more and more especially civil unrest that has been mentioned and increasing levels of crime coming our way they decide to cut funding.

Just like our energy it seems the police are suffering due to lack of planning during the good times in readiness for the bad times.

I remember talking to a couple of guys in Essex police force a few years ago. They said that Ford used to give the force cars with test engines for free. This would then give them good data on how the engine performed.

I was told that in Sheffield we have 200 criminals the Police need to arrest but they simply don't have the manpower to do it, apparently Sheffield is in a good position some Cities are a lot worse and have even more people they need to arrest. Although if they do get arrest there isn't any room for them in jail so they'd probably end up back on the streets anyway so why bother.

Perhaps Mystic Mervs flexible tool of interest rates could work it's magic and the MPC could take on the criminals.

Will that mean the police scrapping BMW , Lexus vehicles

It will just mean that they will spend more time installing speed cameras all over the place.

Police have become hired thugs/poltical puppets and they must earn their keep.

i can not wait to see what happens when they realise their golden pensions have all turned to dust as the puplic purse will not cover half it's promises when it comes to pensions.

Money maybe better spent on getting a gun than having a burgular alarm fitted once the police discover that they too have been stuffed.

GCHQ staff will also share the same fate.

I beg to differ,the beat bobby is a dutiful chap on the whole.I get the feeling they are just as frustrated by these incompetent fools as we are.They have no liking for mountains of pointless paperwork,they want to be able to do their job and help society(in the lower ranks anyway).This may however work to our advantage.

to coin a phrase,lions led by donkeys.

Edited by oracle

A good start would be to get rid of all the useless PCSOs. They are like scarecrows, if someone sees them from a distance they might think twice about committing a crime, but as soon as they realise they're just a powerless PCSO they don't care. I often see gangs of chavs openly mocking them in the high street. My GFs cousin is a copper and he says he wastes a lot of time having to go out and sort out minor problems the PCSOs have called for support with.

And the £X Bn NHS IT scheme which will probably never work, anyway.

Believe me, we've had our £10 million pound IT upgrade, for a year now. It still doesn't work; it's unreliable and even dangerous (as it can lose or even mix up records). In short, it's the worst computer system I've ever used. They've been trying for a year to fix it - engineers milling about all over the place, conference calls, etc., but no progress, other than key features (which we had paid substantial licence fees for) being switched off.

I SERIOUSLY claim that if the police force acquired a job lot of Morris Minors, or perhaps some second hand Fiestas, they'd do a better job. Hi-Tech Police cars are a menace. They are over-blown, over-equipped obsolescent excess which do nothing more than distance the Police from their core function. They enclose Policemen and Policewomen inside a mechanical bubble which encourages them to rely on technology instead of their BRAINS. It also ecourages pointless Police Car chases which always end in either tragedy or unnecessary carnage.

Put the Police back on bicycles, mopeds and modest cars and you would see a more efficient crime clear up. Each successive year of hi-tech police "progress" has resulted in precisely the opposite of that which was intended. Police cars and equipment in the UK mirror precisely the dim-witted escalation of firearms in the USA. The theory is that if a criminal has fire power, then the Police must acquire greater fire power, and the result is that criminals acquire even greater fire power, and so on, ad nauseam.

Policeman in the UK need to get OUT of cars and start walking the streets in urban areas. They need to walk around in pairs or teams. ONE cop car costs an enormous amount to buy, equip and maintain. Resources would be better spent on shanks's pony. Am I being absurdly out of date? That is of course the current thinking. But there is no evidence whatsoever that any hi-tech system has ever solved crime more efficiently than having INTELLIGENT, non-robotic, Police men and women who are CONNECTED with their environment.

VP

Edited by VacantPossession

Believe me, we've had our £10 million pound IT upgrade, for a year now. It still doesn't work; it's unreliable and even dangerous (as it can lose or even mix up records). In short, it's the worst computer system I've ever used. They've been trying for a year to fix it - engineers milling about all over the place, conference calls, etc., but no progress, other than key features (which we had paid substantial licence fees for) being switched off.

Poor programming then?

I'm sure that we could save billions if we actually had people who could manage managing. Instead we always seem to get the incompetents who are good at brown nosing in charge.

You misunderstand the arrangement, often the maintenance is built into the deal. So just because it appears to be a more expensive car the overall cost is lower than a cheaper car with a lesser maintenance contract.

What the police really need is a rearrangement of the force structure, but done better than the previously proposed effort. Many of the uk forces are really too small to be useful.

The good news is that the police will soon be riding around on chinese made Honda CG 125 clones.

The bad news is that we'll be riding chinese made Honda C50 clones......but only those of us earning more than 50tr 'New Pounds' a week.

Soon the UK will resemble rural Asia....only more so.

:lol:

like the police or government want crime to go down.

:lol:

Many MP's are ex lawyers and solictors and persistent offenders keep them all in a job and as such are regarded as friends.

I once had a car radio nicked in broad day light i everyone knew who it was and when i called the police the officer took me around the lads council house and in the garden was something that looked like a savage pit bull terrer and the copper knew the dogs name as he told it to get back.

yeah i kid not the copper even knew the dogs name.

Clearly the so called justice system is being used to milk our tax coffers and the whole system needs a total overall along with our political system.

If the government cut the number of police to a tenth I don't suppose anyone would notice!

I thought they already had. Mind you, I did see one not long ago....early April I think it was.

I think most of our police force is brave and hard working. However they are mired in a shedload of PC corectness and documentation.

They are working to targets and we all know how well that improves performance. ;)

I believe the manufacturers give the police hefty discounts as it gets their vehicles in the public eye. They've also wised up to ordering colours other than white in order to get a better price come resale time.

They've also wised up to ordering colours other than white in order to get a better price come resale time.

This at least is true. Police now order silver vehicles as the resale value is substantially higher. People in the UK just dont like white cars. No idea why.

since bobbies are not supposed to chase car crooks unlesss special trafficy ones,. i think all police should drive 2 door fiestas.

painted in 1971 light blue and white panda colours, with a huge bell shaped light on top from itvs heartbeat.