House Price Crash Forum
crash2006

Right Of Households To Rubbish Bin Collection By Councils To Be Abolished

The government is to give councils the power to refuse to collect rubbish if home owners fail to abide by draconian rules which may include leaving bins in the right place, sticking to weight restrictions and following strict recycling policies.

Labour is quietly pushing the new rules through parliament without any debate after it proposed amendments to a 130-year-old law which has, until now, made it a statutory duty of local authorities to collect household waste.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...-abolished.html

this cant be true, if so its madness.

Rats scurrying in the streets, epidemic disease rife, the stink of rotting food in the air. Back to 1764 with Gordon Brown's NuLabour Project. :(

I don't think even Margaret Thatcher would have considered ending free rubbish collection. The sort of people who don't comply with wheelie bin rules are probably the ones most likley to dump their rubbish in a lay-by if it's not collected.

This proposal would be about as counter-productive as the Inland Revenue saying that they won't colllect income tax from anyone who gives the wrong details.

Edited by blankster

I don't know how much of these stories are media Council bashing. However, I am really tired of public servants not serving the public; not being thankful of a job that is paid for by the taxpayer.

Whatever happened to 'a job well done' or going the extra mile? (Putting a bin back were it was collected from.) Over the years standards (expections) are really fallen

There does seem to have developed a cultural malaise within the public sector, with ever-growing reasons not to do your job - which is a reasonable expectation, no?

Edited by tinker

This makes me laugh, it really does. Are we going to have, the rubbish police? gimme a break.

Where I live a new landlord buys a property, empties ithe whole contents out into the nearest alley. The council put a big yellow siticker on it saying 'enviromental crime, investigation in progress'.

A week later the council truck pulls up and heaves the stuff off to the tip.

If the government starts this sort of $hit, we will be blinded by yellow stickers while every man and his dog dumps everything in the alley. Maybe we'll have 'dump'CCTV?? :lol:

This makes me laugh, it really does. Are we going to have, the rubbish police? gimme a break.

Where I live a new landlord buys a property, empties ithe whole contents out into the nearest alley. The council put a big yellow siticker on it saying 'enviromental crime, investigation in progress'.

A week later the council truck pulls up and heaves the stuff off to the tip.

If the government starts this sort of $hit, we will be blinded by yellow stickers while every man and his dog dumps everything in the alley. Maybe we'll have 'dump'CCTV?? :lol:

All we need to sort out this fly-tipping malarkey is ID cards. :lol:

Guest anorthosite

Well, I compost all my food waste, so if this happens to me I'll leave almost all the stuff I bin where I get it - at the supermarket checkout and let them deal with it.

All we need to sort out this fly-tipping malarkey is ID cards. :lol:

Bet we could get fakes on the net within a week. Besides this government would lose half of them in no time.

I don't know how much of these stories are media Council bashing. However, I am really tired of public servants not serving the public; not being thankful of of job that is paid for by the taxpayer.

Whatever happened to 'a job well done' or going the extra mile? (Putting a bin back were it was collected from.) Over the years standards (expections) are really fallen

There does seem to have developed a cultural malaise within the public sector, with ever-growing reasons not to do your job - which is a reasonable expectation, no?

Traditionally it was always the case of what was deemed reasonable. Usually most councils required rubbish to be left at the curtailage of the property on the day of collection with exceptions being made for the elderly / disabled if unable to do this.

I think what alienates people is the forced manner of these edicts. If the council as previously done 'politely requests' 99.9% of us will cooperate with any reasonable request.

Edited by Kurt Barlow

Whatever happened to 'a job well done' or going the extra mile? (Putting a bin back were it was collected from.)

My guess is that it left town when some management consultant came up with a target that meant they had to collect twice as many bins in half the time, with half as many staff.

There goes another 100,000 former Labour votes.

Whooooooshhh...straight down the plughole!

Maybe, but the latest opinion poll, according to Michael Crick on Newsnight, puts the Broonites 17% ahead of the SNP in Glasgow East. :(

Edited by 1929crash

More Labour idiocy. Not collecting the bins of an individual household has a negative impact on the whole street. Mountains of stinking rubbish with rats running all over it is a threat to public health.

Labour seems to be doing a real good job of turning britain into a third world country.

Unaffordable housing, fuel poverty, poor education, people too sick to work, dirty hospitals, rubbish in the streets, violent street gangs, rising food prices, record public and state debt.

Well, I compost all my food waste, so if this happens to me I'll leave almost all the stuff I bin where I get it - at the supermarket checkout and let them deal with it.

Do it anyway. When enough people do it they will get the message and reduce the waste.

We need private refuse collection. I would willingly pay £800 a year to have my bin emptied once a week and not get fined if it was over filled. Sack the useless councils and put their leaders on trial for crimes against humanity. Mini Hitlers the lot of them.

We need private refuse collection. I would willingly pay £800 a year to have my bin emptied once a week and not get fined if it was over filled. Sack the useless councils and put their leaders on trial for crimes against humanity. Mini Hitlers the lot of them.

And the private corporations and their fascistic employees who run car parks, wheel clamping etc are a model of humanity?

I wonder how long councils would exercise this right for once individuals starting emptying their rubbish sacks at the main entrance to all council buildings up and down the country. I'm not for a moment suggesting that anyone should do such a despicable thing, oh no! I just wonder what would happen if people somehow got it into their head that this was an appropriate form of protest....

And the private corporations and their fascistic employees who run car parks, wheel clamping etc are a model of humanity?

I was thinking more along the lines of a pay as you go service that you can take or leave and switch providers at will. With my local council, I can't opt out of rubbish collection and have that component of my council tax removed from my bill. Besides, local councils are becoming increasingly fascist in their modus operandi - they seem to be run purely for the sake of beurocracy and self-aggrandisement of useless managers and lazy officials who get nice fat pensions for doing ****** all.

Some people already have to have their rubbish collected priavtely.

I live in a large city centre development - about 400 residents. The council will only collect their 'quota' - 8 'large' bins (you know those big flip top things you see round the back of pubs and stuff) a fortnight, and have refused to collect any more than that.

In practice, this development fills about 14 bins a week. So we have to pay a private waste removal firm to bring it up to 2 collections a week at a cost of about £3000 a year.

All seems very strange to me - this a dense development bringing in a substantial amount of council tax revenue, with relatively low demands on services due to the dense nature - yet the council are trying to get out of whatever committments they can.

I was thinking more along the lines of a pay as you go service that you can take or leave and switch providers at will. With my local council, I can't opt out of rubbish collection and have that component of my council tax removed from my bill. Besides, local councils are becoming increasingly fascist in their modus operandi - they seem to be run purely for the sake of beurocracy and self-aggrandisement of useless managers and lazy officials who get nice fat pensions for doing ****** all.

I agree with a lot of what you say.

Talk of privatisation reminds me of a thug, a very powerful thug, called Crassus who owned a fire brigade in Rome during the last days of the Roman Republic. The firemen would turn up but would refuse to put out the fire until the property owner had agreed to sell the property to Crassus at a knock-down price.

Watch out for the next round of public sector reforms. :o