House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Record Numbers Living In Poverty

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/ju...onomy.economics

The number of people living in poverty in the world's 50 least developed countries is rising despite their economies growing at the fastest pace in 30 years, a UN report said yesterday.

In its annual Least Developed Countries Report, the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (Unctad) said that overall growth rates of 7% in the countries between 2005 and 2006 should have provided an opportunity for "substantial improvements" in living conditions. But three-quarters of their people continue to survive on less than $2 (£1) a day and 277 million people live on less than $1 a day, compared with 265 million in 2000 and 245 million in 1995.

A rising population and a shortage of well-paid jobs are the main reasons for the surge in the number of people living in poverty, according to the report.

Slow progress in reducing poverty means the countries will not be able to achieve the first of the UN millennium development goals, halving the proportion of those living on less than $1 a day between 1990 and 2015. To achieve this, they would need to cut their absolute poverty rate to 20% by 2015. Unctad said that if current trends continued, they would only achieve 33% of the target by that date.

But globalisation brings wealth to the poor doesn't it????

The way things are going here we'll all be joining them as house prices crash to 1900 levels and we'll be paying around 90% of our wages to clear our own and govt debts.

'halving the proportion of those living on less than $1 a day between 1990 and 2015'

One hell of an objective huh? kinda puts things into perspective.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/ju...onomy.economics

But globalisation brings wealth to the poor doesn't it????

The way things are going here we'll all be joining them as house prices crash to 1900 levels and we'll be paying around 90% of our wages to clear our own and govt debts.

Globalisation increases the wealth divide between countries and within also countries. The poor will get poorer and increase numbers the more globalised an area becomes.

Globalisation increases the wealth divide between countries and within also countries. The poor will get poorer and increase numbers the more globalised an area becomes.

I was being a bit sarky in my comments :)

I wonder how many global poor we'll need to curb inflation.

The Chinese are being nice to Africa as they are looking for new markets to sell cheap crap too. It looks like the West keeps getting upset when they ship poisonous toys to us.

'halving the proportion of those living on less than $1 a day between 1990 and 2015'

I think "Chopper" Ben will sort this out in a matter of months not years :angry:

Doesn't mean the savages won't be even poorer though...

The Chinese are being nice to Africa as they are looking for new markets to sell cheap crap too. It looks like the West keeps getting upset when they ship poisonous toys to us.

Sorry did not detect the sarky bit, bit lax of me ...... ;)

Think UK plc may be supplying a large amount of poor, displaced peoples to curb its own inflationary/debt-based problems. Think 2.7 mill on incapacity benefit. Think nearly a mill on job seekers allowance. Think many more hidden poor.

The question is........ WHEN are they bringing back modern-day workhouses!

They may be poor, and they probably smell, but why kill half of them?

The Chinese are not being nice to Africa at all, they are cleverly using barter type deals and vague promises to exploit agricultural and mineral resources in their own interest.

Potential markets for goods is a minor objective.

Nothing new really…think Empire.

Yes but after they stolen there minerals to make goods the pittance they have given them in return will allow the Africans to buy some cheap tat that works for 5 minutes before it breaks.

I thought they were doing this to get rid of some dollars, not paying in Chinese money.

Its laughable that the UN think they can do anything about poverty. Its not economically possible. They can put farmers out of work by smothering them in food aid, that would increase poverty.