House Price Crash Forum

Terrible idea.

+1 Dole paid job

-1 free market job

F**in horrible terrible idea

But aren't we being told food is rotting in the fields because no-one will pick it?

Saw this article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7514513.stm

but my first reaction was that by introducing work for dole, it would increase competition for jobs and act to reduce wage demands. Keeping wage inflation down is obviously critical to controlling inflation, and lowering inflation is key to keep interest rates down. House prices are obviously influenced strongly by interest rates.

So is the work for dole, tied to a desire to keep inflation lower and try to prevent house prices falling? The fact that lowering sterling is persuading Poles (and others) to leave, would otherwise make it harder to find people to employ to do low-skill, manual labour type work. By increasing the size of the pool of potential workers those desiring to employ low-skill workers will find they can pay less. Lower inflation, lower rates, smaller house price falls.

Just shows that all these things can be linked to the HPC, and conversely HPC is tied to the rest of the economy.

any thoughts on the magnitude effect of keeping salaries down on inflation? I remember some figures a couple of years ago about the effect of Polish plumbers on inflation. Not an effect that can be ignored. A good fraction of people earn relatively low salaries, and keeping the tail of wages low at the bottom end will drag down wage claims at all income groups. How will that play on into earning distributions and house prices?

Optobear

Saw this article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7514513.stm

but my first reaction was that by introducing work for dole, it would increase competition for jobs and act to reduce wage demands. Keeping wage inflation down is obviously critical to controlling inflation, and lowering inflation is key to keep interest rates down. House prices are obviously influenced strongly by interest rates.

So is the work for dole, tied to a desire to keep inflation lower and try to prevent house prices falling? The fact that lowering sterling is persuading Poles (and others) to leave, would otherwise make it harder to find people to employ to do low-skill, manual labour type work. By increasing the size of the pool of potential workers those desiring to employ low-skill workers will find they can pay less. Lower inflation, lower rates, smaller house price falls.

Just shows that all these things can be linked to the HPC, and conversely HPC is tied to the rest of the economy.

any thoughts on the magnitude effect of keeping salaries down on inflation? I remember some figures a couple of years ago about the effect of Polish plumbers on inflation. Not an effect that can be ignored. A good fraction of people earn relatively low salaries, and keeping the tail of wages low at the bottom end will drag down wage claims at all income groups. How will that play on into earning distributions and house prices?

Optobear

THeres another thread about this elsewhere. I shall give the same answer and it's one word.

Slavery.

I'm unemployed, I would work for the dole, however Im not allowed the dole on account of having saved my money while working. The current system re Job Centre/training/benefits is a load of crap. There is no training and there is no assistance beyond a miserable £59 per week for 6 months, then out on your backside and dont come back.

I'm unemployed, I would work for the dole, however Im not allowed the dole on account of having saved my money while working. The current system re Job Centre/training/benefits is a load of crap. There is no training and there is no assistance beyond a miserable £59 per week for 6 months, then out on your backside and dont come back.

So what's all this stuff you hear about people living on the dole and "doing alright" out of it. Is that all rubbish? I have only been on the dole for a few weeks after leaving school in 1976. Too hot to look for a job. ;) I got £7.70 per week.

Edited by uptherams

So what's all this stuff you hear about people living on the dole and "doing alright" out of it. Is that all rubbish?

Quite simply, yes. Dole money itself is barely enough to survive on without supplement from other sources, despite what the red-tops might tell you.

Was on the social myself for about 6 months in the mid-nineties. Lots of graduates, too few jobs in those days - particularly for people with social science degrees. Not the best days of my life by a long chalk :(

Why do you need training or assistance?

You are obviously an intellegent bloke; surely you can blag your way into some sort of job, however menial, make yourself indespensible, and work your way up.

Or if paid employment doesn't appeal, think of a way of earning money by yourself. You must have some skills that you can sell.

I really don't understand your aquiescence. Where's your balls, man?

Job Centres are for pathetic dorks who know no better. I'm surprised at you, Steve!

So what's all this stuff you hear about people living on the dole and "doing alright" out of it. Is that all rubbish? I have only been on the dole for a few weeks after leaving school in 1976. Too hot to look for a job. ;) I got £7.70 per week.

Suspect if you live in council accommodation, don't have any savings and have a few chums who will give you a days work here and there, then I suppose you could 'do alright' sans that, its a total non starter. I was on it for the 3rd time in my life (last time was the early 90's round of redundancies and unemployment) and it assisted me with nothing, not enough to live on, they don't find you jobs and they offer training only for idiots and migrants that cant read and write. The jobs on offer via their online system are all paying min wage but still expect experience and the ability to give orders in Punjabi or Polish (yes I have seen a few of these jobs). Believe me also that the last thing a JobCentre advertised McCompany wants from a prospective McEmployee is an educated person who has had to use initiative for the last 20 odd years, ''Bovines and automatons only please''

Why do you need training or assistance?

You are obviously an intellegent bloke; surely you can blag your way into some sort of job, however menial, make yourself indespensible, and work your way up.

Or if paid employment doesn't appeal, think of a way of earning money by yourself. You must have some skills that you can sell.

I really don't understand your aquiescence. Where's your balls, man?

Job Centres are for pathetic dorks who know no better. I'm surprised at you, Steve!

I agree, however haven't found any particular skill I can sell, and as for the job centre, in reality I quickly wrote it off, was just pointing out its failings. Blagging your way into jobs isnt so easy, low end jobs require you to be Polish and between the age of 20 and 30 these days. The technical background I had is quickly dismissed by prospective employees on account of my age and length of time out of work. Ultimately though I will work for myself in some capacity or other.

THeres another thread about this elsewhere. I shall give the same answer and it's one word.

Slavery.

We are all slaves anyway, there is no escape from the system, there is no alternative. A small percentage of people have semi-detached themselves from the system but are still reliant upon it..... soon we will all be slotted into the right slots. :ph34r:

After being taxed under IR35, I lost my job, went to try and claim benefit after 6 months out of work and running out of cash and was politely told to go screw myself because I was a company director and therefore self employed.

I explained that I paid IR35 and was therefore not taxed like someone that was self employed and hence entiltiled to benefit, I was not so politely told to go FUG myself!

Back in work now and that letter from the benefit people will ensure I never pay IR35 again. Tax office will say your employed, the benefits people will say your self employed.

I would have loved to take them to court at the time, 2x different government agencies going at it tooth and nail, all at tax payers expense, saddly (well not really) I found another job and got back on track.

However I think many that fall into IR35, should claim benefits between contracts hell award yourself a massive tax free redundancy package at the end of every contract. If you play it striaght, you will only get screwed by the benefit agency should you ever need help.

However I think many that fall into IR35, should claim benefits between contracts hell award yourself a massive tax free redundancy package at the end of every contract. If you play it striaght, you will only get screwed by the benefit agency should you ever need help.

Don't you need almost zero savings to qualify for benefits?

How much will it cost to pay someone to supervise people doing work for welfare? What are they going to do, pick litter all day in groups of 100 wearing orange day glow vests?

Last time I looked, there were only 600k UK vancancies and 2.7m on sick, 0.8m on dole =3.5m on benefits and not working at all. So what to do with extra 2.9m?

Why should an employer give a job to sixty year old former coal miner with a bad back when they could employ a fit and able 25 year old Pol etc?

The govt. should concentrate on teen NEETS then people in their 20's then 30's and so on. All you need to do to live on benefits forever is have a baby and say the father has left me. Madness. :angry:

You are 100% correct.

How irritating.

Not so. Under these proposals you can chose to work and have an income or not work and have no income. That's freedom, not slavery. Having to play football for Man U for £160k/week when your mum wants you to sign for Madrid. Now that's slavery.

How much will it cost to pay someone to supervise people doing work for welfare? What are they going to do, pick litter all day in groups of 100 wearing orange day glow vests?

Last time I looked, there were only 600k UK vancancies and 2.7m on sick, 0.8m on dole =3.5m on benefits and not working at all. So what to do with extra 2.9m?

Why should an employer give a job to sixty year old former coal miner with a bad back when they could employ a fit and able 25 year old Pol etc?

The govt. should concentrate on teen NEETS then people in their 20's then 30's and so on. All you need to do to live on benefits forever is have a baby and say the father has left me. Madness. :angry:

Here's a crazy idea, what about a return to mass-manufactering, creating products and items of export worth to other countries (a la china). NOT invisible service sector crap.