House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
needle

Property Bee - How Do You Use It / What Is It?

Property-bee is a plugin (extra little program) for Firefox that allows you to 'remember' the details of properties you view on certain property sites.

It stores the details on your computer and allows you to see changes to prices, descriptions etc... over time.

If you want to, you can share your lists with other users.

Currently the plugin covers rightmove.co.uk, propertynews.com and sspc.co.uk in the UK and daft.ie in Ireland.

If you've got any questions post below....

*****HAVING PROBLEMS? PLEASE ENSURE YOU HAVE THE LATEST VERSION AVAILABLE HERE******

Edited by needle

Property-bee is a plugin (extra little program) for Firefox that allows you to 'remember' the details of properties you view on certain property sites.

It stores the details on your computer and allows you to see changes to prices, descriptions etc... over time.

If you want to, you can share your lists with other users.

Currently the plugin covers rightmove.co.uk, propertynews.com and sspc.co.uk in the UK and daft.ie in Ireland.

If you've got any questions post below....

does it measure averages for area or property types? can you use it in browsers other than firefox? does it chart? what else does it do?

does it measure averages for area or property types? can you use it in browsers other than firefox? does it chart? what else does it do?

It isn't really intended for that purpose, so doesn't do that.

It really is for people recording individual property changes in a given area. It is, will be extremly useful when do look to buy or rent as you can see every change to the property, such as price, desc and when it was first listed. It also shows some underhand methods some estate agents use.

<techy>

Its a peer-to-peer way to avoid the owner of the original website stopping access to a 'scraper' like PropertySnake.

But there is nothing to stop the peers eventually consolidating the data into one big database on which statistics could be run.

If you are in a 'bee' you can see data for areas you haven't previously searched yourself

</techy>

Fab tool and contains very valuable information that deserves collation and wider dissemination.

you can export the data to csv and then import it to excel or oo calc and do that yourself if you want to

also the sidebar shows how long properties have been on the market, percentage change of each property you have searched etc.

and it´s free too :D

well worth trying out imho

Fab tool and contains very valuable information that deserves collation and wider dissemination.

Thats why I've put the poll up ;)

I've asked Beerhunter (the author) if it might be possible, in future, to search for keywords in bee data.

I'd find this extremely useful - and he'd be in a great position to establish some excellent independent statistics too.

I've asked Beerhunter (the author) if it might be possible, in future, to search for keywords in bee data.

I'd find this extremely useful - and he'd be in a great position to establish some excellent independent statistics too.

search for what exactly?

I am!

Worked for a while,now says initial info not found,

i'm on a Mac haven't a clue really,feeling great though.

JP

Hmm, well it works OK for me on OS X 10.5.3 - but I know there have been some minor bugs for Mac users. Are you using Firefox 3, or are you still on 2? (I'm still on 2, I was a bit dubious abut the upgrade).

If you're stuck, Beerhunter is excellent at dealing with problems, so search the Property Bee forum and see if anyone else has had the same problem - and if not, start a thread.

<edit - clarity>

Edited by Crash Gordon

Hmm, well it works OK for me on OS X 10.5.3 - but I know there have been some minor bugs for Mac users. Are you using Firefox 3, or are you still on 2? (I'm still on 2, I was a bit dubious abut the upgrade).

If you're stuck, Beerhunter is excellent at dealing with problems, so search the Property Bee forum and see if anyone else has had the same problem - and if not, start a thread.

<edit - clarity>

I absolutely love Property Bee. So cool.

I installed it only about 3 months ago - I'm still running OSX 10.4.11 but haven't had any problems. I haven't been aware of bugs at all. What are they?

I absolutely love Property Bee. So cool.

I installed it only about 3 months ago - I'm still running OSX 10.4.11 but haven't had any problems. I haven't been aware of bugs at all. What are they?

Real minor stuff, and all with PB v2 I think. Nothing serious enough to stop anyone using it though, and Beerhunter's support is excellent.

I use it when I go on rightmove, but that is not that regularly. I also seem to have lost all my data from the earlier version- although I have the old copies of the data- I cant get them to be 'shared' or even use them myself. There don't seem to be many people using it in my area (West Wilts) so I think it might be a few months before there is a lot of meaningful data that will come from it.

Tried it a few weeks ago, and had to download firefox with it. Either PB or FF seemed to upset computer, so dumped them both, and pc been OK since. Maybe I will try again, but I can just look on Rightmove, and I do have a good memory :)

During last few days suddenly can't get PB sidebar to function. If I drag, I just get a brief twitch, and no bar appears. Any suggestions please?

I am!

Worked for a while,now says initial info not found,

i'm on a Mac haven't a clue really,feeling great though.

JP

I use it when I go on rightmove, but that is not that regularly. I also seem to have lost all my data from the earlier version- although I have the old copies of the data- I cant get them to be 'shared' or even use them myself. There don't seem to be many people using it in my area (West Wilts) so I think it might be a few months before there is a lot of meaningful data that will come from it.
During last few days suddenly can't get PB sidebar to function. If I drag, I just get a brief twitch, and no bar appears. Any suggestions please?
I used it until 5 minutes ago - now it is incompatible with FF 3.0.1...

To all the above -

Its a bit confusing but as well as a new Firefox version there is a new PB release.

Just pop over to property-bee.com and get the latest version..... most of the country is now logged and almost all of the properties on Daft.ie (Ireland)

Watch 'em tumble without Fionnuala Earley, Kirsty and David Smith telling you you're wrong..... ;)

Tried it a few weeks ago, and had to download firefox with it. Either PB or FF seemed to upset computer, so dumped them both, and pc been OK since. Maybe I will try again, but I can just look on Rightmove, and I do have a good memory :)

What computer and operating system (OSX, Windows XP, Vista...) are you using?

Edited by needle