House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
PropertyGuru

Alps Crashing

I recently made a derogatory offer on a s*****y top of the range ski apartment in Chamonix region. I made it anonymously, because I know the developer personally, and thought I'd wind him up.

Imagine my surprise when my offer of 300,000 cash for a 650,000 apartment wasnt rejected out of hand! He came back with 550,000, which is more than 15% off without even trying. He's been trying to sell these suckers for a year + 1/2 now, and hasn't done very well. He'll be bust in another year, and you'll be able to pick em up for 1/3 of the current price. While all the fun has gone out of it, so I won't be replying, it does suggest to me that there's a certain panic in the Alps. What with the snows failing for a 3rd year in a row too.

Quite soon, you won't be able to GIVE chalets away. After all, who wants a giant high-maintenance shed in a warm valley?

'sfunny.

edit - the bleeped word is 'sw@nk y'

Edited by PropertyGuru

After all, who wants a giant high-maintenance shed in a warm valley?

'sfunny.

Mountain bikers and walkers in the summer?

Still, I wont be buying one, certainly not for 550K Euros.... How long would it take to save that much disposable income? And how much can you rent one for?

Methinks the sums not add up.

Quite soon, you won't be able to GIVE chalets away. After all, who wants a giant high-maintenance shed in a warm valley?

'sfunny.

Errr, me for a start and just about anybody who is a member of the BMC or MCofS. We'll all have one. In fact most of us spend our time dreaming up ways of getting hold of one. I can count four members of my immediate family who talk of little else.

Don't forget that for everybody eating croque monsieur in Bar Nash there are another few thousand in the campsites (even the one next to the Rescue Helicopter pad) and up in the hills.

Or, pop over the border into Arolla and convert an old cow shed.

Edited by linuxgeek

when he gets repoed I bet you'll be beside yourself with laughter. :lol:

One could throw rocks, if you wanted to make it really funny

I recently made a derogatory offer on a s*****y top of the range ski apartment in Chamonix region.

Looks like I got out just in time (2006), especially as you're looking to buy there. :D

I think you mean derisory.

VP

I was wondering who'd be the first not to get the joke.

De*rog"a*to*ry\, a. Tending to derogate, or lessen in value; expressing derogation; detracting; injurious; -- with from to, or unto.

Mountain bikings where its at out there now personally speaking, great news if prices are dropping cos of the bad snow. I'll check it out when I go to Les arcs/meribel/tignes next week.

I've been keeping my eye on prices in Grand Massif (Samoens/Les Carroz). The prices make London look good value :o

Still woundn't be good value at half the price.

Lots of local people will see that as a good news. All the youngs have to leave the Alps for the low lands as they are priced out. And when somebody dies, the inheritance tax makes it impossible to the family to keep the property/land and force them to sell to developpers or speculators.

Good ridance...

I've been keeping my eye on prices in Grand Massif (Samoens/Les Carroz). The prices make London look good value :o

Still woundn't be good value at half the price.

Me too! Small world. Give it a couple of years though.

I recently made a derogatory offer on a s*****y top of the range ski apartment in Chamonix region. I made it anonymously, because I know the developer personally, and thought I'd wind him up.

I did quite a bit of research into buying a ski chalet or apartment about 2 years ago. The numbers didn't add up.

For example the apartments at Les Arcs 1950, very nice development, but they wanted London prices. The places at Arc 2000 were better value, but still 300k for a 2 bed flat. If you wanted to find a good yield, you could buy one of those terrible 70's Arc 2000 apartments for about 40k(eur). That sleeps 4, 2 beds in a tiny room, and 2 beds stuck between the lounge and the galley. I decided not to buy.

About 8 years ago you could buy a reasonable chalet in Meribel for £300k. If those prices return I would be very interested.

. What with the snows failing for a 3rd year in a row too.

Are you including next year in that figure? In the Northern Alps snow was poor last year, average this year (poor mid season) and very good 3 years ago.

Not that a ski appt. looks like a good idea given the overall trend.

I have a friend who is trying to sell a 1.5 million euro chalet in Chamonix, one of the largest properties to come up in the town center for years, things are moving very very slowly. However don't forget for the Brits paying in GBP things have got 15% more expensive since last year.

;)

Me too! Small world. Give it a couple of years though.

We must both have good taste. Been to a lot of European ski resorts and yet to find one that can match Les Carroz for the variety of skiing and charm. The more fashionable resorts such as in 3 valleys etc seem to be populated by pretentious brits and russians. Shame the price of apartments has crept up to 3 valleys prices. Probably because the French know a good thing when they see one.

Where's Grant Bovey's "multi-million pound chalet"?

Everything he touches seems to go bad, eh? I look forward to seeing Anthea getting busted for class-a possession in Pete Docherty's flat soon.