House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
researchmug

Renegotiating Whilst Being A Tenant?

I'm renting a rather expensive terraced house while I wait for the property market to fall. But since I started my six month contract 1 month ago rental prices in the local area have already fallen by about 10 percent, with a sudden glut of terraces coming on to the open market.

What chance do I have to renegotiate my rent if rents continue to slide, either now or at the end of my 6 months contract? or will I just have to pack all my stuff in a hire van and move 200 feet down the road in 5 months time?

Anyone else seeing the same thing or trying to renegotiate?

I'm renting a rather expensive terraced house while I wait for the property market to fall. But since I started my six month contract 1 month ago rental prices in the local area have already fallen by about 10 percent, with a sudden glut of terraces coming on to the open market.

What chance do I have to renegotiate my rent if rents continue to slide, either now or at the end of my 6 months contract? or will I just have to pack all my stuff in a hire van and move 200 feet down the road in 5 months time?

Anyone else seeing the same thing or trying to renegotiate?

You have no chance of renegoiating and are stuck with paying the rent for six months. Youve signed a contract to pay that level of rent until the six months has expired. If the situation was reversed and the rents had increased by 10% would you consider it reasonable if the landlord said you had to pay an additional 10% even though you had agreed otherwise?

At the end of the six months your tenancy will become periodic on the same rent as you are paying now. You need to begin negotiations with the landlord a month or so before the six months is up to get a feel of the water, otherwise it will be a 200 feet move!

Edited by Planner

At least one rental period before the AST expires, you can say rents have gone down and you will only pay x amount and they can either lower it to that or you'll leave. They probably won't go for it but who cares, they'll learn their lesson after a month or two of voids.

Also, do you need a van for 200 feet? Just nick a flatbed trolly from Homebase and get a friend to help you.

I'd recommend that you have a friendly chat with the landlord at least 6 weeks before the end of your agreement and see what he says. If he's not receptive then let him know you'll be leaving. That might do the trick. I've come across several instances where landlords and tenants have each played their own game of brinkmanship on this one. Bear in mind the LL may find another tenant to move in the day your tenancy ends.

I'd recommend that you have a friendly chat with the landlord at least 6 weeks before the end of your agreement and see what he says. If he's not receptive then let him know you'll be leaving. That might do the trick. I've come across several instances where landlords and tenants have each played their own game of brinkmanship on this one. Bear in mind the LL may find another tenant to move in the day your tenancy ends.

:lol::lol: more agent threats 'oh, kiss our bums you scummy renters or you'll be sorry'.

rubbish.

this is a renters market, tell your ll to reduce your rent by 25% or you leave.

be strong.

no ll have renters lined up...ask the thousands of btlers about to go under....and the scummy agents like you with them....change your tune ....dumbos

:lol::lol: more agent threats 'oh, kiss our bums you scummy renters or you'll be sorry'.

rubbish.

this is a renters market, tell your ll to reduce your rent by 25% or you leave.

be strong.

no ll have renters lined up...ask the thousands of btlers about to go under....and the scummy agents like you with them....change your tune ....dumbos

What good advice! then the o/p will be paying for the rent on the remaing time left on the tenancy as well as more money for rent on the new place!!! You really know your stuff wa**erbob!!!! You dont work for CAB by any chance do you?

What good advice! then the o/p will be paying for the rent on the remaing time left on the tenancy as well as more money for rent on the new place!!! You really know your stuff wa**erbob!!!! You dont work for CAB by any chance do you?

another threat? pathetic....change your tune agent boy!

he can leave, stop the rent and go elsewhere...very simple.

again...change your arrogant, threatening tune.

another threat? pathetic....change your tune agent boy!

he can leave, stop the rent and go elsewhere...very simple.

again...change your arrogant, threatening tune.

Oh wa**erbob.... you do make be giggle. I just love talking to the uneducated chav class!!! its so fun. You not due at the Tesco night shift soon? those shelves are going to stack themselves! Wait dont tell me, you wouldnt work for those capitalist filth pigs?

The rent is due to the end of the contract. If he goes without paying, the landlord will take him to court.... do you understand that? or do you want me to try and type it with simpler words for you?

Oh wa**erbob.... you do make be giggle. I just love talking to the uneducated chav class!!! its so fun. You not due at the Tesco night shift soon? those shelves are going to stack themselves! Wait dont tell me, you wouldnt work for those capitalist filth pigs?

The rent is due to the end of the contract. If he goes without paying, the landlord will take him to court.... do you understand that? or do you want me to try and type it with simpler words for you?

If a renter doesn't pay rent, it can take the LL many months to get anywhere near an eviction...and if the renter is smart...that's what happens, and as the credit crunch kicks off....this will be far more common.....

I quite like capitalists, just not filthy letting agents/EAs.

Which one are you, 'Planner'? Oh, lets see.....you 'plan' the future, you're a 'planner'.

'Plan' these apples - the credit crunch is here to stay and the wannabee toff agents will soon be back in their rightful place...at the back of the dole queue.

I suspect the next time we meet you'll be reciting your future employments plans - 'fries with that, sir?', ahem, ahem 'FRIES with that, SIR?'

Too easy.

If a renter doesn't pay rent, it can take the LL many months to get anywhere near an eviction...and if the renter is smart...that's what happens, and as the credit crunch kicks off....this will be far more common.....

I quite like capitalists, just not filthy letting agents/EAs.

Which one are you, 'Planner'? Oh, lets see.....you 'plan' the future, you're a 'planner'.

'Plan' these apples - the credit crunch is here to stay and the wannabee toff agents will soon be back in their rightful place...at the back of the dole queue.

I suspect the next time we meet you'll be reciting your future employments plans - 'fries with that, sir?', ahem, ahem 'FRIES with that, SIR?'

Too easy.

An interesting monologue, but a bit tired now. You’ve said it all before. I think you just cut and paste standard irrelevant rants with no regard to the question.

The O/P has never suggested not paying rent, or waiting to be evicted.

Move along wa**erbob… Nothing to see here.

An interesting monologue, but a bit tired now. You’ve said it all before. I think you just cut and paste standard irrelevant rants with no regard to the question.

The O/P has never suggested not paying rent, or waiting to be evicted.

Move along wa**erbob… Nothing to see here.

Your advice wreaks of 'agent gabble'.....you're a master....threats and more threats. It is the same old song...another dinosaur living in the past.....laughable.

People...it is a renters market.

Tell your LL and agents, if they try and pull a fast one.....to p off.

There are plenty more where they came from...25 properties for every renter...alot of choice......

It is the golden age of the renters...coming to a town near you soon......thanks to HPC! :lol:

Your advice wreaks of 'agent gabble'.....you're a master....threats and more threats. It is the same old song...another dinosaur living in the past.....laughable.

People...it is a renters market.

Tell your LL and agents, if they try and pull a fast one.....to p off.

There are plenty more where they came from...25 properties for every renter...alot of choice......

It is the golden age of the renters...coming to a town near you soon......thanks to HPC! :lol:

You didnt need to prove my previous point again, but thanks anyway!