House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
234SALE

The House Next Door Conundrum.

Guest KingCharles1st

Obvious to the well trained eye..

adjacent to the first house, there is an ALLEYWAY- in that alleyway, lurk DRUGGIES. also, there lurk WAPISTS, noisy kids, MEN WITH BAGS OF SWEETIES, cats that shag at midnight for 3 hours, discarded cigarette butts, used johhnies and prostitutes.

THAT is why that house is cheaper- cos its closer to the alleyway... would you buy it?

Also, end of terraces are always MOULDY and DAMP and COLD due to the external wall.

Personally, I have the opposite opinion. I value my quiet and having only 1 set of neighbours means that you never hear them, and if you do, there's a room you can go to where you can avoid hearing them without putting yourself closer to your other set of neighbours.

I guess it's like only having 1 set of grandparents because your father was an orphan... on the one hand you'll never know them, but on the other hand you won't get depressed when they die. Pros and cons...

Edited by DementedTuna

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Value is a purely a psychological construct.

If they were both on with the same agent I would find the disparity odd; but they're not.

The truth is, estate agents have no idea what a house is worth in the current market - they probably haven't sold one for months!

2 agents with different opinions; 2 vendors with different circumstances. All irrelevent when it comes to valuing either property.

The only one who can do that is the person who buys one of them.

Edited by Mr Yogi

Also, end of terraces are always MOULDY and DAMP and COLD due to the external wall.

Personally, I have the opposite opinion. I value my quiet and having only 1 set of neighbours means that you never hear them, and if you do, there's a room you can go to where you can avoid hearing them without putting yourself closer to your other set of neighbours.

I guess it's like only having 1 set of grandparents because your father was an orphan... on the one hand you'll never know them, but on the other hand you won't get depressed when they die. Pros and cons...

I'm end of Victorian terrace, and it can be bloody cold in the Winter months, but I love the fact that it feels almost like a detached house in terms of neighbours noise (aside from the floorboard noise of the flat above)

THAT is why that house is cheaper- cos its closer to the alleyway... would you buy it?

No alleyway by the first. It was recently dropped from offers in excess of 185K to 165K, and is 'in need of modernisation', however I suspect they are both going to drop to about £125K if they want to sell.

Anyone else know of two houses next door with such a large difference in price..

I feel like calling the agent to ask if a cash offer of 150k for the end of terrace would be accepted,

The guess the answer would be,,, if I was to put forward an in writing with a proof of funds it would be probably be strongly considered.

But why buy when I can rent an identical house for 800 a month,, when a IO mortgage would cost me 1150 a month over 25years

No alleyway by the first. It was recently dropped from offers in excess of 185K to 165K, and is 'in need of modernisation', however I suspect they are both going to drop to about £125K if they want to sell.

:rolleyes: 125k the new 250k................. 50% correction in prices...

I am a ftb in the UK,, but I do worry the Brown administration will do something evil that will increase stamp duty...

Just as they did with Car tax which was suppose to be cheaper, but actually cost the majority more.

Edited by 234SALE

I am a ftb in the UK,, but I do worry the Brown administration will do something evil that will increase stamp duty...

Whilst the government undoubtedly needs additional revenue sources (i.e. there'll be more and more stealth taxes), I cannot see an increase in stamp duty - since that would only add to the housing market downturn .... and thats' something the government wants, but is unable, to avoid.

Whilst the government undoubtedly needs additional revenue sources (i.e. there'll be more and more stealth taxes), I cannot see an increase in stamp duty - since that would only add to the housing market downturn .... and thats' something the government wants, but is unable, to avoid.

Agreed,,

I wonder if they have considered reducing VAT, by 2.5%,, that would bring down inflation wouldn't it?