House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FED UP SI

Unrealistic Buyers Out There !

I HAVE JUST ABOUT HAD ENOUGH OF SILLY PEOPLE TROLLING AROUND LOOKING AT HOUSES AND EXPECTING A FULLY FITTED KITCHEN , GRANITE TOPS ETC AND EXPECTING ALL THEY HAVE TO DO IS HANG UP THEIR CLOTHES ON MOVING IN !GET REAL ,TOO MANY STUPID MAKEOVER PROGRAMMES ON TV HAVE CREATED A REALLY DAFFY NEW HOUSEHUNTER THESE DAYS AND ITS GETTING SO BORING , `OH I DONT LIKE THE COLOUR ON THE WALLS,THEY SCREETCH, HATE THE CARPETS,ETC ETC, DON`T THEY REALISE THE PROPERTY REALLY IS ABOUT WHERE IT IS, HOW THE STRUCTURE IS AND WHAT THE FUTURE POTENTIAL IS , NOT THE WRETCHED CARPETS ETC, ITS THE BUILDING YOUR BUYING STUPID !!

WE ARE ON THE MARKET IN WEYBRIDGE, WE ARE MOVING SOLEY BECAUSE THE DRIVE TO OUR BUSINESS IS NOW TOO MUCH IN TIME AND COSTS , WE LOVE IT HERE, HAVE FAB NEIGHBOURS , LOTS OF OUR FRIENDS LIVE UP HERE BUT ALAS WE HAVE DECIDED IT MAKES COMPLETE SENSE, HOWEVER IN HAMPSHIRE IT SEEMS THAT AGENTS TALK UP THE AREAS , PRICES WILL NOT COME DOWN , EVEN ON AN OFFER , AND WE HAVE FOUND A WRECK WE CAN AFFORD JUST ABOUT BUT NEEDS LOTS OF MONEY AND WORK ON IT WHICH WE CAN COPE WITH OVER TIME ,AS ITS GOING TO BE OUR HOME SO EVEN IF IT GOES DOWN AFTER WE HAVE BOUGHT OT IT DOESNT MATTER , ITS OUR HOME !SADLY WE CAN`T MAKE AN OFFER AS WE HAVE NONE ON OURS AS YET,THEY WILL ONLY ACCEPT OFFERS FROM SOMEONE IN A POSITION TO PROCEED !NEEDLESS TO SAY ITS STILL ON THE MARKET !

WHY IS IT THEN THAT SO MANY PEOPLE ARE BLEATING ABOUT BEING SCARED TO MOVE AS PRICES MAY FALL, WELL CHANCES ARE THEY MAY BUT LIFE GOES ON AND WE ALL MUST STOP LOOKING AT OUR HOMES AS A MONEY MARKET, THOSE DAYS ARE OVER FOR A WHILE, LOOK ON THE LONG TERM FOR A HOME , IF IT ISN`T QUITE AS YOU WOULD LIKE IT THEN CHANGE IT AS AND WHEN YOU CAN! OUR HOME IS AS EVERY ONE TELLS US QUITE LOVELY, THE KITCHEN AND BATHROOM NEED REDOING CERTAINLY BUT AS WE HAVE PASSED AND APPROVED PLANS TO EXTEND WE DECIDED TO LEAVE THIS AS WHOEVER WANTS TO BUY IT MAY HAVE DIFFERENT TASTES AND IDEAS, NO MATTER IT HAS ITS OWN DRIVE AND PARKING FOR 4 CARS , A STUNNING SOUTH FACING GARDEN WITH LARGE SUMMERHOUSE ,2 STONE FLAGGED PATIO`S , LOVELY LAWN WELL PLANTED ETC ETC A CONVERTED GARAGE TO HABITABLE STATUS WHICH IS NOW 2 ROOMS WITH VUALED CEILINGS , PLANS TO EXTEND WHICH WILL CREATE A 3 BEDROOM , 2 BATHROOM HOUSE , NO IT SEEMS PEOPLE THESE DAYS WANT IT ALL DONE FOR THEM BUT AT THE SAME PRICE THEY SEE IT FOR NOW AND ITS SO UNREALISTIC , WE WILL BE LUCKY ENOUGH TO BE ABLE TO LIVE IN THE WRECK WE HAVE FOUND WHILE WE DO IT UP BUT ITS VIRTUALLY THE SAME PRICE WE ARE SELLING FOR AND ALL THIS SO NEAR TO LONDON , IF WE DON`T SELL SOON AND LOSE THE PLACE WE CAN AFFORD TO MOVE TO THEN WE ARE COMING OFF THE MARKET BECAUSE WE REALISE THAT HOUSE HUNTERS NOW ARE OF THE BELIEF THAT THEY CAN OFFER 10 % LESS ACROSS THE BOARD AND THAT QUITE HONESTLY IS NOT THE TRUTH , ITS ALL MEDIA HYPE AND SOME AGENTS ARE SO DEAD THEY ASK THIS OF CLIENTS, SORRY GUYS BUT ITS TRUE, THE AGENTS ARE NOT BUSY SO NOW THEY HAVE TO WORK HARDER BUT SADLY LOTS DON`T AND QUITE HONESTLY THE PRICES THEY ARE QUOTING NOW ARE SILLY AND FAR TOO LOW, WE KNOW AS WE HAVE BEEN LOOKING AROUND SURREY, HAMPSHIRE AND EVEN WEST SUSSEX FOR QUITE SOME TIME, NONE OF THESE AREAS ARE SEEING THE PRICE FALLS THAT THESE AGENTS SEEM TO WANT TO TELL US HERE IN WEYBRIDGE THAT WE SHOULD ALL DROP TO , WHEN ITS QUITE APPARENT TO US ON ALL OUR TRAVELS THAT NO WHERE ELSE IN THE SOUTH SEEMS TO BE HAVING TO DO SO !! SO THERE IT IS, WE ARE NOT LOOKING FOR A WONDERFUL PROPERTY WITH NOTHING TO DO , WOULD RATHER START FROM SCRATCH ANYWAY THEN BE EXPECTED TO PAY OVER THE ODDS FOR SOME VILE FITTED KITCHEN , OR SOME NAFF BATHROOM THAT ALL HAS TO BE RIPPED OUR ANYWAY ! NOTHING WRONG WITH WEYBRIDGE , LOVELY WALKS , NEAR LONDON, THE RIVER, COUNTRYSIDE , WONDERFUL SCHOOLS SO COME ON YOU WEYBRIDGE ESTATE AGENTS AND GET A GRIP AND BE PROUD OF THE AREA YOU ARE DEALING WITH , THOSE IN HAMPSHIRE WOULD BE SUCH AN ASSET TO US RIGHT NOW , THEY ARE SO POSITIVE AND PROACTIVE , WE ALL NEED THAT HERE IF PROPERTY ARE GOING TO SELL AT ALL !! WILL KEEP YOU ALL POSTED AS TO WHAT HAPPEND NEXT , WON`T HOLD OUR BREATHS, ITS A CRAP MARKET NOW WE KNOW BUT SOME PEOPLE HAVE TO MOVE FOR WORK, SCHOOLS, ETC ETC SO WE LIVE IN HOPE!!BY THE WAY , SOME OF YOU ARE PROBABLY THINKING WE ARE WELL OVER PRICED , WELL WE PROBABLY WERE A FEW MONTHS AGO , HOWEVER WE DID RECEIVE A GOOD OFFER BUT WE COULDN`T FIND A PLACE WE COULD AFFORD TO MOVE TOO, NOW WE HAVE BUT NO BUYERS ,( NOT SO SURE THEY WERE THAT GENUINE ANYWAY) THE PLACE WE HAVE FOUND IS EMPTY SO NO VILE CHAIN TO WORRY ABOUT , PERFECT FOR SOMEONE WH WANTS TO MOVE AND GET ON WITH A LIFE , PRICES GO UP AND DOWN EVERY 15 YEARS SEEN IT ALL BEFORE SO WHY NOW THE BIG AMERICAM STYLE FREAKOUT?

Hahahahahaha.... where do I start?

1. The obsession with the furnishings and colour of the walls is pretty stupid, I agree, but where do you think the obsession came from? That's right, all these silly property shows on TV... which have also contributed to the rise in value of your house. You can't have it both ways.

2. Funny how you're whining about the media now, isn't it? Bet you were quite content with the media talking up the "value" of your home over the last 5 years.

3. You're telling everyone else that the price isn't important and that having a home is, yet you're unwilling to accept a 10% loss on your current place in order to move into your dream home? Pure hypocrisy.

Next troll, please!

You shouted:

"WHY IS IT THEN THAT SO MANY PEOPLE ARE BLEATING ABOUT BEING SCARED TO MOVE AS PRICES MAY FALL, WELL CHANCES ARE THEY MAY BUT LIFE GOES ON AND WE ALL MUST STOP LOOKING AT OUR HOMES AS A MONEY MARKET, THOSE DAYS ARE OVER FOR A WHILE, LOOK ON THE LONG TERM FOR A HOME , IF IT ISN`T QUITE AS YOU WOULD LIKE IT THEN CHANGE IT AS AND WHEN YOU CAN!

and yet also shouted:

IF WE DON`T SELL SOON AND LOSE THE PLACE WE CAN AFFORD TO MOVE TO THEN WE ARE COMING OFF THE MARKET BECAUSE WE REALISE THAT HOUSE HUNTERS NOW ARE OF THE BELIEF THAT THEY CAN OFFER 10 % LESS ACROSS THE BOARD AND THAT QUITE HONESTLY IS NOT THE TRUTH "

So, others should not look at houses as an investment, but you honestly believe you should be able to hold onto the paper profits you made during the boom years. What nonsense and self-serving hypocrisy. If your house isn't selling that is because it is too expensive. You need to cut your price. It's as simple as that.

Your badly written post just seems like yet another person special-pleading that they should be allowed a bigger slice of the pie. Nonsense whether it comes form owners of 'lovely' homes, bankers, fuel lorry drivers or benefit scroungers. Grow up, take responsibility for your actions and stop whining.

PS: 10% off is nothing. If someone is offering you that snap their arm off.

If you took your caps lock off I might bother reading more than the first two lines of this rant.

On the other hand I might not :P I'm not sure where all your anger comes from, but if it's based on feeling you've missed the boat big time on the HPC, please don't pile in and take it out on people on this forum. Seek some therapy elsewhere if you would.

Anyway, against my initial judgement I'm going to try and help a bit - prices ARE CRASHING (just for you, in case your CapsBlind!) like mad in the area around here, (Surrey / Hants) which sounds like the area you're looking in.

If you take the time to read around a bit in this forum, you'll find plenty of information on tools to help you identify where, and by how much, prices are plummeting (PropertyBee, Home.co.uk etc,) If you had taken the time to do that before posting, you might have found a lot more people willing to help you.

Unfortunately, you've done the forum equivalent of barging into the hardest pub in town, looking out the biggest bloke with the most tattoos, calling his Mum a wh@re and chucking his pint in his face, then taking his female partner roughly from behind over the pool table - in other words I don't think this was your ideal entry to this educated and very enlightening forum, and I dread to think what response you'll get to your post!!!

If you want to buy anywhere down here you're going to need to be "seriously proceedable" - that's why you'll find the acronym STR around this forum; many of us who have been planning for this for a while have sold up and moved our families into rented - at some significant personal and emotional expense - so that we're in a position to buy somewhere when the time is right, and find a reasonably priced place for our loved ones. If you're not prepared to do that, or drop your own price to find a buyer and become proceedable yourself, then frankly you're stuffed, and it doesn't matter how much you rant on here - you won't make a scrap of difference to your reality.

So, a well-meaning suggestion; lurk around a bit, pick up some tips, listen to some of the really bright people on here (not me, I'm a complete moron compared with most of the regulars round here,) and see what you can learn that can help you.

And if you come down here expecting to buy a sweet little period doer-upper, at a knock-down price, condition your expectations to being pipped by an STR'r or cash buyer, and you won't be too disappointed.

Good luck with whatever it is you're looking for.....

B

have just about had enough of silly people trolling around looking at houses and expecting a fully fitted kitchen , granite tops etc and expecting all they have to do is hang up their clothes on moving in !get real ,too many stupid makeover programmes on tv have created a really daffy new househunter these days and its getting so boring , `oh i dont like the colour on the walls,they screetch, hate the carpets,etc etc, don`t they realise the property really is about where it is, how the structure is and what the future potential is , not the wretched carpets etc, its the building your buying stupid !!

we are on the market in weybridge, we are moving soley because the drive to our business is now too much in time and costs , we love it here, have fab neighbours , lots of our friends live up here but alas we have decided it makes complete sense, however in hampshire it seems that agents talk up the areas , prices will not come down , even on an offer , and we have found a wreck we can afford just about but needs lots of money and work on it which we can cope with over time ,as its going to be our home so even if it goes down after we have bought ot it doesnt matter , its our home !sadly we can`t make an offer as we have none on ours as yet,they will only accept offers from someone in a position to proceed !needless to say its still on the market !

create a 3 bedroom , 2 bathroom house , no it seems people these days want it all done for them but at the same price they see it for now and its so unrealistic , we will be lucky enough to be able to live in the wreck we have found while we do it up but its virtually the same price we are selling for and all this so near to london , if we don`t sell soon and lose the place we can afford to move to then we are coming off the market because we realise that house hunters now are of the belief that they can offer 10 % less across the board and that quite honestly is not the truth , its all media hype and some agents are so dead they ask this of clients, sorry guys but its true, the agents are not busy so now they have to work harder but sadly lots don`t and quite honestly the prices they are quoting now are silly and far too low, we know as we have been looking around surrey, hampshire and even west sussex for quite some time, none of these areas are seeing the price falls that these agents seem to want to tell us here in weybridge that we should all drop to , when its quite apparent to us on all our travels that no where else in the south seems to be having to do so !! so there it is, we are not looking for a wonderful property with nothing to do , would rather start from scratch anyway then be expected to pay over the odds for some vile fitted kitchen , or some naff bathroom that all has to be ripped our anyway ! nothing wrong with weybridge , lovely walks , near london, the river, countryside , wonderful schools so come on you weybridge estate agents and get a grip and be proud of the area you are dealing with , those in hampshire would be such an asset to us right now , they are so positive and proactive , we all need that here if property are going to sell at all !! will keep you all posted as to what happend next , won`t hold our breaths, its a crap market now we know but some people have to move for work, schools, etc etc so we live in hope!!by the way , some of you are probably thinking we are well over priced , well we probably were a few months ago , however we did receive a good offer but we couldn`t find a place we could afford to move too, now we have but no buyers ,( not so sure they were that genuine anyway) the place we have found is empty so no vile chain to worry about , perfect for someone wh wants to move and get on with a life , prices go up and down every 15 years seen it all before so why now the big americam style freakout?

------------------------

At least it's readable now.....

------------------------

Yes - and thanks for that. Now I can read it better, I can come to the obvious conclusion even quicker;

The guy is a Shining Wit and no mistake (at least that's what I think I mean :lol: )

B

Edited by buzzardo

have just about had enough of silly people trolling around looking at houses and expecting a fully fitted kitchen , granite tops etc and expecting all they have to do is hang up their clothes on moving in !get real ,too many stupid makeover programmes on tv have created a really daffy new househunter these days and its getting so boring , `oh i dont like the colour on the walls,they screetch, hate the carpets,etc etc, don`t they realise the property really is about where it is, how the structure is and what the future potential is , not the wretched carpets etc, its the building your buying stupid !!

we are on the market in weybridge, we are moving soley because the drive to our business is now too much in time and costs , we love it here, have fab neighbours , lots of our friends live up here but alas we have decided it makes complete sense, however in hampshire it seems that agents talk up the areas , prices will not come down , even on an offer , and we have found a wreck we can afford just about but needs lots of money and work on it which we can cope with over time ,as its going to be our home so even if it goes down after we have bought ot it doesnt matter , its our home !sadly we can`t make an offer as we have none on ours as yet,they will only accept offers from someone in a position to proceed !needless to say its still on the market !

create a 3 bedroom , 2 bathroom house , no it seems people these days want it all done for them but at the same price they see it for now and its so unrealistic , we will be lucky enough to be able to live in the wreck we have found while we do it up but its virtually the same price we are selling for and all this so near to london , if we don`t sell soon and lose the place we can afford to move to then we are coming off the market because we realise that house hunters now are of the belief that they can offer 10 % less across the board and that quite honestly is not the truth , its all media hype and some agents are so dead they ask this of clients, sorry guys but its true, the agents are not busy so now they have to work harder but sadly lots don`t and quite honestly the prices they are quoting now are silly and far too low, we know as we have been looking around surrey, hampshire and even west sussex for quite some time, none of these areas are seeing the price falls that these agents seem to want to tell us here in weybridge that we should all drop to , when its quite apparent to us on all our travels that no where else in the south seems to be having to do so !! so there it is, we are not looking for a wonderful property with nothing to do , would rather start from scratch anyway then be expected to pay over the odds for some vile fitted kitchen , or some naff bathroom that all has to be ripped our anyway ! nothing wrong with weybridge , lovely walks , near london, the river, countryside , wonderful schools so come on you weybridge estate agents and get a grip and be proud of the area you are dealing with , those in hampshire would be such an asset to us right now , they are so positive and proactive , we all need that here if property are going to sell at all !! will keep you all posted as to what happend next , won`t hold our breaths, its a crap market now we know but some people have to move for work, schools, etc etc so we live in hope!!by the way , some of you are probably thinking we are well over priced , well we probably were a few months ago , however we did receive a good offer but we couldn`t find a place we could afford to move too, now we have but no buyers ,( not so sure they were that genuine anyway) the place we have found is empty so no vile chain to worry about , perfect for someone wh wants to move and get on with a life , prices go up and down every 15 years seen it all before so why now the big americam style freakout?

------------------------

My eyes have now re-adjusted. To summarise:

The OP has an outdated property with planning permission for sale in Weybridge at the asking price.

The OP has an outdated property with planning permission for sale in Weybridge at the asking price.

You missed out "that will be unsellable for years as all the other houses around will be on sale for a realistic price."

In a sellers market, the buyers are competing for houses.

In a buyers market, the sellers need to compete for buyers.

In a crash it's every person for themselves. Sell too late and you lose big time.

Still it is a bit of fun to read a shouty unpunctuated rant from time to time.

Edit to quickly add:

I think the OP saying the difference between Surrey and Hants EAs is just because he/she is a seller in Surrey and a buyer in Hants. I wonder if Hants EAs are telling the sellers the same thing that they are telling buyers.

It is also a myth that EAs are somehow able to work harder and produce buyers magically from nowhere.

Edited by bobthe~

i'm keeping an eye on reigate.

lots and lots of price cuts in the last month,

this includes good period houses, still very few attracting offers.

Edited by hogwash

All I can suggest, is re price your existing house at a third of what you currently have it on the market for. Oh, and give Mavis Beacon a try.

Good summary, I couldn't face the original.

I think in a falling market nobody's going to take on a renovation project (unless the finished product will be very special). With the time spent getting renovations planned and done before they can really move in there's no point, by the time it'd be finished the market will have moved on enough for them to pick up something with everything they want already done for less money than the original purchase price, let alone the original purchase price + renovation costs. What's the incentive?

The only properties still selling in this market are the ones that are just perfect to move into now to appeal to the people who just want to move into their own home and bugger the financial issues and the ones that are so unique that they're worth renovating and bugger the financial issues.

A house seller still in CLASSIC DENIAL

It's simple - if you want to sell DROP YOUR PRICE.

It doesn't matter what you think it's worth - it's whatever someone wants to pay for it.

i call troll.

is your bridge painted in neutral colours. it could really help.

hehehe I'm gloating & enjoying every minute!

Actually, I've decided being a cash buyer who STR'd a year ago, I'm like a kid in a candy shop - There are just sooooooooo many houses to choose from ...... now which one would I like, hmm what colour.....hmm Bit spoilt for choice at the moment....Just cant make my mind up - ah well maybe I will wait until they are even cheaper....

Edited by Muskoka

You ranted entirely in CAPS! I couldn't read that, because I feel like you're screaming at me like a crazy person.

But I get it. I get it. I got you. You're so angry you want to pop a CAP in their a$$es!

I HAVE JUST ABOUT HAD ENOUGH OF SILLY PEOPLE TROLLING AROUND LOOKING AT HOUSES AND EXPECTING A FULLY FITTED KITCHEN , GRANITE TOPS ETC AND EXPECTING ALL THEY HAVE TO DO IS HANG UP THEIR CLOTHES ON MOVING IN !GET REAL ,TOO MANY STUPID MAKEOVER PROGRAMMES ON TV HAVE CREATED A REALLY DAFFY NEW HOUSEHUNTER THESE DAYS AND ITS GETTING SO BORING , `OH I DONT LIKE THE COLOUR ON THE WALLS,THEY SCREETCH, HATE THE CARPETS,ETC ETC,

Nuked illegible remainder. If (as I think I saw) you've been around for 15 years you should know that housebuyers have ALWAYS (NB capitals for SPECIAL emphasis only!!) been notorious for the "Don't like the carpet" syndrome. Watch some very early episodes of House Doctor if you don't believe me!

I sold my house in London as a renovation job & had no problem. Perhaps your EA has been bullied by you into promising more than the house actually offers? The words "in need of some updating" usually give buyers a clue that they're not going to find granite worktops.

Nuked illegible remainder. If (as I think I saw) you've been around for 15 years you should know that housebuyers have ALWAYS (NB capitals for SPECIAL emphasis only!!) been notorious for the "Don't like the carpet" syndrome. Watch some very early episodes of House Doctor if you don't believe me!

I sold my house in London as a renovation job & had no problem. Perhaps your EA has been bullied by you into promising more than the house actually offers? The words "in need of some updating" usually give buyers a clue that they're not going to find granite worktops.

Sorry about CAPS to one reader comments, no not angry , just fed up with the silly expectations of a lot of the new `breed` of buyers out there these days.

Yes one would have thought that the lookers would actually read the details but am always amazed that they actually don`t! They don`t even seem to be aware of the plans to extend , yes they are on the details too! its not a renovation job, its cosmetic, as we are moving we of course are not going to extend which would then entail doing said kitchen and bathroom , if we had done it wouldn`t be on the market for the price it is , but try explaining that to some people, it just doesn`t seem to register.

Every one we talk to has the same kind of story, even Agents say how moronic some so called `buyers` are these days , the something for nothing mentality is very much alive and well in all aspects of UK life sadly.Finally, the Agent was the one who priced the house not us , we want to move so we have dropped quite a bit , after all whats the point of overpricing as that gets you nowhere, we think all the mass hysteria in the media has made people thinkl that all houses are now up for really silly offers and we can tell you that isn`t the case at all , at least not where we are looking in Hampshire , lucky to even be entertained at any offer unless its going to be repossesed.

For the replies from some its quite sad really, those who are `gloating` their words not ours , are the ones who were quite happy to cut and run with their profits, we however don`t look on what its worth that much because its our home, we `invest` in other ares for gains , as we all know its all relevent , if house prices are going down then thats life, what we are saying is that , and we are not at all alone in this, is that when one goes looking for a property one actually finds that no one really is willing to drop and those same houses are still on the market , we are happy to keep dropping but there seems no point if others are not going to do the same to ensure a sale, we could drop forever but that would only mean we could not afford to move at all unless other vendors are willing to drop too, does that make it all a little clearer for some of you , instead of silly purile comments how about constructive ones, we were hoping not for complete agreement but for others experiences, as most people seem to think, " so what if prices fall , it means what we want to move to will fall also" well it would seem that simply isn`t the case as am sure many out there can agree, thats why there is such a `stalemate` in the market , people can`t move because some won`t drop at all , leave alone drop 10% . Do hope all those who were more concerned about the wrong `caps`, spelling , syntax etc etc than the actuall content are now a little more happier , we read constructive letters, seems there are quite a few who have no interest in debate but just around to make what they seem to think are `clever` snide remarks , get a life guys and leave the debates to those who are interested in the topic , Kind Regards Si

Edited by FED UP SI

Sorry about CAPS to one reader comments, no not angrey , just fed up with the silly expectations of a lot of the new `breed` of buyers out there these days.

Yes one would have thought that the lookers would actually read the details but am always amazed that they actually don`t! They don`t even seem to be aware of the plans to extend , yes they are on the details too! its not a renovation job, its cosmetic, as we are moving we of course are not going to extend which would then entail doing said kitchen and bathroom , if we had done it wouldn`t be on the market for the price it is , but try explaining that to some people, it just doesn`t seem to register.

Every one we talk to has the same kind of story, even Agents say how moronic some so called `buyers` are these days , the something for nothing mentality is very much alive and well in all aspects of UK life sadly.Finally, the Agent was the one who priced the house not us , we want to move so we have dropped quite a bit , after all whats the point of overpricing as that gets you nowhere, we think all the mass hysteria in the media has made people thinkl that all houses are now up for really silly offers and we can tell you that isn`t the case at all , at least not where we are looking in Hampshire , lucky to even be entertained at any offer unless its going to be repossesed.

Interesting phrase highlighted above:

"the something for nothing mentality is very much alive and well in all aspects of UK life sadly"

So how does the the cost of work you have carried out on your house since you bought it compare with the "increase in value" since then? Work it out and then re-read the above phrase.

The something for nothing mentality exists at all times in the property market. Property owners expect it on the way up, and buyers expect it on the way down. That's just the way it goes. If you'd sold a year ago and gone into rented you'd be laughing now. Why not just accept that you got it wrong and deal with the new reality rather than bleating about it.

Edit: Surplus word removed

Edited by narrowescape

Interesting phrase highlighted above:

"the something for nothing mentality is very much alive and well in all aspects of UK life sadly"

So how does the the cost of work you have carried out on your house since you bought it compare with the "increase in value" since then? Work it out and then re-read the above phrase.

The something for nothing phenomenon mentality exists at all times in the property market. Property owners expect it on the way up, and buyers expect it on the way down. That's just the way it goes. If you'd sold a year ago and gone into rented you'd be laughing now. Why not just accept that you got it wrong and deal with the new reality rather than bleating about it.

I think you are somewhat missing the point here,we are moving for relocation reasons , if we were hoping to cash in as you say on high prices a year ago we would have been laughing, no we wouldn`t , at that time we were not even thinking of moving so what ever prices were doing was niether here nor there , like many others we are hoping to move for reasons of work , NOT hoping to make a big killing on our property , try and imagine an ordinary average year, people move house, not for making big gains, lovely if it happens but then usually you have to pay it all towards the next place anyway, the really funny thing is we are looking at same as we are selling , this is the bit we can`t seem to get over to anyone , what we are expecting to sell for is actually a lot less than what we are expected to PAY for , for the same type of property but with so much work that the place will be uninhabitable while the works need doing , in comparison we are selling a quite pleasant house in lovely area which is not in need of a complete renovation by any means , plus so near to London , trains, excellent schools, shops etc etc, we are having to look at wrecks simply because thats all we can afford as the PRICES appear to be higher in Hampshire than the PRICES in Surrey , despite all the talk of Elmbridge being one of the most expensive ares to buy, it seems to be not the case , we really don`t care what we sell for as we just want to get on with our lives, however it still appears that there are a lot of `sellers` who don`t seem to bothered whether they sell or not , it may well end up like Spain at this rate where property can be on the market for up to 5 years, they don`t drop the price, no if they don`t sell they put the price up !!Now that would be a worry !!

hehehe I'm gloating & enjoying every minute!

Actually, I've decided being a cash buyer who STR'd a year ago, I'm like a kid in a candy shop - There are just sooooooooo many houses to choose from ...... now which one would I like, hmm what colour.....hmm Bit spoilt for choice at the moment....Just cant make my mind up - ah well maybe I will wait until they are even cheaper....

Oh how funny you are , you really are quite a wheeze!! Now why not be a good little goy and clear off and let grown ups discuss the merits of the great world of property in the UK of 2008.

I think you are somewhat missing the point here,we are moving for relocation reasons , if we were hoping to cash in as you say on high prices a year ago we would have been laughing, no we wouldn`t , at that time we were not even thinking of moving so what ever prices were doing was niether here nor there , like many others we are hoping to move for reasons of work , NOT hoping to make a big killing on our property , try and imagine an ordinary average year, people move house, not for making big gains, lovely if it happens but then usually you have to pay it all towards the next place anyway, the really funny thing is we are looking at same as we are selling , this is the bit we can`t seem to get over to anyone , what we are expecting to sell for is actually a lot less than what we are expected to PAY for , for the same type of property but with so much work that the place will be uninhabitable while the works need doing , in comparison we are selling a quite pleasant house in lovely area which is not in need of a complete renovation by any means , plus so near to London , trains, excellent schools, shops etc etc, we are having to look at wrecks simply because thats all we can afford as the PRICES appear to be higher in Hampshire than the PRICES in Surrey , despite all the talk of Elmbridge being one of the most expensive ares to buy, it seems to be not the case , we really don`t care what we sell for as we just want to get on with our lives, however it still appears that there are a lot of `sellers` who don`t seem to bothered whether they sell or not , it may well end up like Spain at this rate where property can be on the market for up to 5 years, they don`t drop the price, no if they don`t sell they put the price up !!Now that would be a worry !!

PS The work carried out over the years is quite substantial and makes for a lovely place we are not losing (yet) but then we are`nt making a huge gain either, especially as what we can afford to move to will entail complete rewire , damp proofing , kitchen, bathroom, c/h system( doesn`t have one ) so we reckon about £90,000 on top of what ever we have to pay for it , thats if they will drop of course , as it stands , its almost the same price as we are asking for here !

The point you are missing is that we are now in a buyer's market. It doesn't matter how lovely your house it, how lovely the neighbours, schools etc are, the situation has changed and you don't get to call the shots any more. It's not all bad news though. If you were to drop your price to a sensible level now and were fortunate enough to sell you could rent for a while at your new location and might even be able to buy a house there rather than a building site once prices there have fallen too.

However, if you insist on living in the old reality you are likely to find yourself chasing the market all the way down and could end up with nothing. Ranting about it does not change anything. You currently have options that may not be around 6 months from now. It's time to make some hard choices.

Edit: Spillong

Edited by narrowescape

No-one's interested in your rants on here you muppet. Go rant somewhere else.

Edited by RajD

Hi Si,

I am looking in Weybridge and may well look at your home one day. Not interested in granite worktops or superficial things.

What I am interested in, is paying a price that doesn't take most of our hard-earned income. A home that is good for a family.

What price did you buy your property for and when? Why do you expect that to change?

Young people today have the same rights to family life that you did.