House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Remax

I notice this tacky foreign ea, REMAX, seems to have entered the UK market - may have been for a while but not up this way.

Well, I've been noticing some of their properties and lots of them seem to be marketed with the words "Fixed Price". However, Property Bee shows a lot of them having been reduced recently. I didn't realise that the word "Fixed" was actually synonymous for "Variable"!

Been in Scotland for about 6 years I think in various areas. Fixed Prices becoming a bit more common now here again, no doubt some of them are whistling for it... Happy to stay out of it for another year.

I notice this tacky foreign ea, REMAX, seems to have entered the UK market - may have been for a while but not up this way.

Well, I've been noticing some of their properties and lots of them seem to be marketed with the words "Fixed Price". However, Property Bee shows a lot of them having been reduced recently. I didn't realise that the word "Fixed" was actually synonymous for "Variable"!

RE/MAX have indeed been here for a while.

"Fixed Price" in the terminology of the Scottish housing market (which has quite different laws from England and Wales) means that the first person to offer the asking price secures the property. This is in contrast to "offers over" which means "the asking price is a made-up number and we expect you to guess in a closed auction what price we really want".

Traditionally Fixed Price meant the vendor wanted (or needed) a quick sale. 18 months ago, a property going onto the Edinburgh market at a Fixed Price would probably sell within days. Nowadays it doesn't make any difference; the For Sale signs go up and stay up until the wind blows them away.

I don't know what "Fixed Price" would mean outside of Scotland, though. As you say, if the vendor is serious about selling their price is unlikely to be fixed for long.

Remax plaster their employed victims mugshots all over the Algarve property pages.

No sign of reductions here, so perhaps no-one bothers turning up for work; which in turn explains fixed prices.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

"Special price, today only. You no buy today, never come back to my shop!"

Remax are a francise based buisness model.The sale boards have pictures of the francise on them smiling in the area they are in, especially if they look the part ie young,pretty,female types in buisness suits.Its quite similsar to the wal-mart "happy greeter" type thing in asda.

they have been in scotland for quite a while and they claim to be the worlds biggest estate agency network, and britains as well i think.

20k and a intensive 6 week course where you learn more about how to be a happy greeter than anything else allows you to become a member.

to keep their boards full of houses to look very busy they post the houses of other areas in the window, the ones i know that started up at first looked like all of a sudden they had stolen all the local estate agency work over-night, until closer inspection showed there was only about 2 houses they had for sale within a 100 mile radius.

It is very american culturised with power dressing and filofax folders and the hard sell.

Actually, "£100,000" IS a fixed price. It's £100,000.

However, the fixed price that the house is being offered for may be different tomorrow.

Yeah, I'm entitled to put my used yoghurt pots on ebay for a fixed price (buy it now) of £50 each. And other people are free to ignore my offer (although, knowing ebay, some mug will probably stump for one).

Reminds me of a grumpy old secondhand car dealer locally who didn't negotiate on price. His stock reply to offers was 'look...the price is on the windscreen', pal!. If you walked away there was no follow-up of 'hang on a minute, how about......'.

Edited by blankster

Remax are a francise based buisness model.The sale boards have pictures of the francise on them smiling in the area they are in, especially if they look the part ie young,pretty,female types in buisness suits.Its quite similsar to the wal-mart "happy greeter" type thing in asda.

they have been in scotland for quite a while and they claim to be the worlds biggest estate agency network, and britains as well i think.

20k and a intensive 6 week course where you learn more about how to be a happy greeter than anything else allows you to become a member.

to keep their boards full of houses to look very busy they post the houses of other areas in the window, the ones i know that started up at first looked like all of a sudden they had stolen all the local estate agency work over-night, until closer inspection showed there was only about 2 houses they had for sale within a 100 mile radius.

It is very american culturised with power dressing and filofax folders and the hard sell.

I suppose I could start up my own, BLOO LOO Estate Agency, for professionals. I have all the tools for valuation (rightmove), some crayons for my boards and artwork, (Nick some blown over boards from the roadside), and my own website (Mr Site).

Once up, Ill franchise it out for 20K.