House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Bo E Call Gordon's Claim Of "uk Being Well Placed" Into Doubt

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm...7/cnecon117.xml

Bank of England chief sees rocky ride ahead for economy
By Edmund Conway, Economics Editor
Last Updated: 10:51pm BST 16/07/2008
The Bank of England's new chief economist warned that the UK is facing its toughest economic prospects in over a decade, as unemployment increases at the fastest rate since 1992.
Spencer Dale, who succeeded the newly promoted Deputy Governor Charlie Bean this month, told the Treasury Select Committee that rising joblessness should help keep inflation and wage increases under control, but said the economy is facing a rocky ride.
It came after the Office for National Statistics said the claimant count of people out of work and claiming the jobseekers' allowance rose by 15,500 in June to 840,100. It is the biggest one-month increase in 16 years, and fuelled fears that Britain could face a 1990s-style increase in unemployment.
George Buckley at Deutsche Bank warned that the
actual rise in overall unemployment may be even bigger than the 15,500
, since many foreign workers may be returning home to booming labour markets in Eastern Europe rather than claiming benefits....

One the one hand you have Gordon saying unemployment levels are good and that the UK is "well placed" to weather the global meltdown and on the other you have the BoE continuing to deliver gloomy forecasts and warnings on the trend in unemployment. Surely, this is confusing the electorate who will be assessing Brown's leadership when they are faced with a by-election decision?

IMO, a "rocky road" is not the same as being "well placed" in economic terms. I suppose it comes down to who you trust to be more accurate with the assessment.

This made me cross yesterday in PMQ's when Fathead Brown started saying how strong the labour market was, completely ignoring the fact that benefits claims are rising hugely. This blatant misrepresentation of information and misleading of the public has to be stopped.

Also why should Eastern Europeans be in the position to claim benefits here when they can get jobs at home. The UK is definitely the muggiest country out there.

This made me cross yesterday in PMQ's when Fathead Brown started saying how strong the labour market was, completely ignoring the fact that benefits claims are rising hugely. This blatant misrepresentation of information and misleading of the public has to be stopped.

Also why should Eastern Europeans be in the position to claim benefits here when they can get jobs at home. The UK is definitely the muggiest country out there.

If you let politicians' lies and spin stress you out you will certainly die yuong.

In his position, what else could he do? He must know it's all f*cked, but politicians cannot say that.

If anything I am more annoyed by how cr@p the tories are, but I think they are actually scared of getting into office since they don't know what to do (does anyone?!), and also scared that Liability Brown will beforced out of office, since almost anyone else would be more popular. I get the impression Cameron is being soft on him at PMQs, althoguh yesterday he kicked some butt to be fair.

Mr Bean's successor blows the whistle on Mr Bean. ;)

Frank Spencer replaces Mr Bean. nice

Well done. Was it the fact now that 20 years of government has left the country dependent on selling houses to one another and shares in companies that get no benefit from the trading of the same shares; did that give you the clue?

I wonder what sort of growth there was in the number of people calling themselves 'property developers' over the last 15 years. It must have been running at around 10000% per annum over the past five years.

One the one hand you have Gordon saying unemployment levels are good and that the UK is "well placed" to weather the global meltdown

I think that he meant geographically - the international bailiffs will have to be good swimmers to chase the UK for its debts take possession of our goods.

p-o-p