House Price Crash Forum

The Economic Fall Of The Roman Empire...

HOLA441
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
After the USSR fell, I don't think one could say any nation-state is immortal. I think the USA will weather any coming crises and will survive more than 30 years (but I wouldn't admit that to any Americans!)

I doubt it would last 30 years after the next few, or if it does it won't be in a form anyone would currently recognise.

The thing about the US is that it's half devolved in any case, the move to secede is always open.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
After the USSR fell, I don't think one could say any nation-state is immortal. I think the USA will weather any coming crises and will survive more than 30 years (but I wouldn't admit that to any Americans!)

haha TOO LATE, you have been heard by American ears.

any one that thinks that American states will be seceding in the near future isn't that familiar with America.

we are so intertwined in our dealings that it would be like an individual county wanting to secede from England as a whole.

it technically might be possible, but it isn't very likely.

American influence IS likely to be pretty diminished though, especially if the currency fails.

If the Euro becomes a new reserve currency, and in many respects it already HAS, then American influence which has greatly come from the dollars rule, almost has to be decreased.

I think we are most likely to see 3 super powers for the rest of this century (China, EU, and America), with other current countries joining in with the big 3.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Guest Steve Cook
We could throw them to the lions but the health and safety industry might not like it and you may be prosecuted by the RPSCA..

Unfortunately, the USA does not suffer with the impeccable good manners of the English. We went relatively quietly into the night at the "end of Empire".

Well....more or less.... ;)

The USA, on the other hand, will I suspect go down kicking and screaming and will drag the rest of the world down with it.....

:ph34r:

Edited by Steve Cook

HOLA4412
Unfortunately, the USA does not suffer with the impeccable good manners of the English. We went relatively quietly into the night at the "end of Empire".

Well....more or less.... ;)

The USA, on the other hand, will I suspect go down kicking and screaming and will drag the rest of the world down with it.....

:ph34r:

Britain didn't go "quietly into the night" so much as it just started hiring Americans to do the dirty work for them.

Maybe America can hire the Russians this time around.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Guest Steve Cook
Britain definitely didn't go quietly, it had to be kicked out of nearly everywhere by a bunch of underresourced but highly motivated guerilla armies

Yep...you are quite right about a number of the earlier ones. However, there came a point where we began to give up the ghost in terms of direct rule and at least made a stab at leaving something worthwhile behind. Misguided paternalism tinged with more than a hint of racism?

Certainly.

Nontheless, I think the American political establishment has a streak of sheer visceral ruthlessness that was less evident in the latter days of the British Empire.

Edited by Steve Cook

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

russia has a lot of power and growing, its economy is rich and has the US debt in its plam.

HOLA4418

Too big, too many wars, too costly to keep the borders safe resulted in massive taxes which resulted in a massive slave bubble by the plebian classes... which actually resulted in them being so poor and so taxed that Roman citizens began to sell themselves into servitude... which took away an entire layer of Roman Society, made being a Roman no longer special and hence brougth about the collapse of Roman.

Of course, it is more complicated than that but that is the 10 second version.

HOLA4419
Too big, too many wars, too costly to keep the borders safe resulted in massive taxes which resulted in a massive slave bubble by the plebian classes... which actually resulted in them being so poor and so taxed that Roman citizens began to sell themselves into servitude... which took away an entire layer of Roman Society, made being a Roman no longer special and hence brougth about the collapse of Roman.

Of course, it is more complicated than that but that is the 10 second version.

Most empires collapse the same way.

Over-taxation of the bottom rung, taking what has taken centuries to build for granted and fiscal corruption.

HOLA4420
yep

Steve its really shocking that most people dont really know how the uk lost its power, Suez Crisis is one the british were ordered out by the US, and they were threaten with the use of force, a nuke attack in birmingham( this was the rumour and a few select history books that can only be found at some universities) and take down or economy. The US started the whole problem knowing that the Eygptians would respond against the Brits, so dont think the US is our friend.

Edited by crash2006

HOLA4421

Except the USSR was never a nation state. It was an illegitimate union held together by coercion and brutality.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
Classic - I bet Poland had as many laughs as you Injin when the tanks rolled in.

Maybe Eastern Germany did too when the wall went up and guards shot people trying to cross.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I am laughing at your idea that any nation is held together by anything but violence.

HOLA4425
Guest Steve Cook
Steve its really shocking that most people dont really know how the uk lost its power, Suez Crisis is one the british were ordered out by the US, and they were threaten with the use of force, a nuke attack in birmingham( this was the rumour and a few select history books that can only be found at some universities) and take down or economy. The US started the whole problem knowing that the Eygptians would respond against the Brits, so dont think the US is our friend.

Yep, bang regarding Suez

The US was never our friend.

We are like the weedy little kid who tags alongside the bully and offers to hold his coat while he pummels some poor victim. We do this in the hope that we can live off the crumbs that fall from his table. All he ends up doing is despising us for it.

Sorry for mixing my metaphors, by the way....:)

Edited by Steve Cook