House Price Crash Forum
VacantPossession

Why Are Threads Here Just Repeated News Reports?

This has always been the case, but it is reaching epic proportions. Why is every other thread here just a regurgitation of conventional media news and links? What are we trying to demonstrate - that at last the conventional news has caught up? Or are we seeking re-assurance that what was suggested here several years ago is now a reality? Is it a security blanket for those unsure of themselves?

This is fast becoming a rather careless and get-there-first posting fest of media catch-up. Increasingly, any thread which has anything original or vaguely philosophical to say has reached the fifth page within a few minutes or hours of being posted. In its place is an avalanche of endless links to reports in the media which is hardly news, most of it being statements of the blindingly obvious.

VP

Edited by VacantPossession

Guest xeouialp
This has always been the case, but it is reaching epic proportions. Why is every other thread here just a regurgitation of conventional media news and links? What are we trying to demonstrate - that at last the conventional news has caught up? Or are we seeking re-assurance that what was suggested here several years ago is now a reality? Is it a security blanket for those unsure of themselves?

This is fast becoming a rather careless and get-there-first posting fest of media catch-up. Increasingly, any thread which has anything original or vaguely philosophical to say has reached the fifth page within a few minutes or hours of being posted. In its place is an avalanche of endless links to reports in the media which is hardly news, most of it being statements of the blindingly obvious.

VP

Clearly copied and pasted from today's Times.

VP

Most of the Mods and posters are BBC news editors?

p-o-p

Edited by piece of paper

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
Er, no. I'm making a serious point which has never appeared in a newspaper.

VP

Aren't you a newspaper editor then?

I think the forum, by virtue of it being on a relatively narrow discussion specifically on house prices (albeit moreish) is bound to attract dupes (post facimilies) on a more frequent basis than others. Maybe the time is approaching for the site to embrace scope creep and set up some more broad political forums or whatever, if done right say taking on a few more domains, it could work without affecting the primary site IMHO.

I must admit that I quickly lose track of threads I even post in because they vanish so quickly down the page ranking- I think maybe as more people become aware of the site it's just more traffic that's causing it. A lot of the more knowlegable posters seem to have moved on, which is sad as they had a lot ot teach the rest of us I feel.

I must admit that I quickly lose track of threads I even post in because they vanish so quickly down the page ranking- I think maybe as more people become aware of the site it's just more traffic that's causing it. A lot of the more knowlegable posters seem to have moved on, which is sad as they had a lot ot teach the rest of us I feel.

Theres an option to show your last ten posts, hope this helps.

Theres an option to show your last ten posts, hope this helps.

thanks- didn't know that. Don't forget to plug your book here when it comes out- I'd be interested in getting hold of a copy.

VP

For what it is worth I have had similar concerns over the last few weeks, it seems to me that the focus of HPC is becoming slightly blurred.

This could well be due to events having caught up with predictions but perhaps the number of newer posters (myself included!) with nothing of any real merit to contribute is not helping.

Irrespective, it is a forum after all and would cease to be of value without people taking time to post their thoughts and concerns.

Perhaps the recent increase in traffic is due simply to the enormous amount of bearish news available at present and after a little while pertinent topics might stay on the front page long enough to be viewed.

Normally its to discuss whats in the media, most people want links as proof of an outcome and its a way to centralize news reports allowing others to see a wider picture.

There are four boards on the main forum page, with a total of 21 sub-forums. It's a busy site, and the front lobby is the busiest place.

Why not explore the rest of the site? Failing that, if it's getting a bit busy round here, explore the web...

[bBC]

Other sites are available.

[/bBC]

Why is every other thread here just a regurgitation of conventional media news and links?

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons, but I would suggest that chief among them is the extraordinary amount of bear-tastic news around at the moment, and the fact that some of us (me, certainly) are probably still rather enjoying the change.

Look back to this time last year, and the BBC Business section would probably have been a mixture of bumper profits, private equity deals, and general jolity (okay, there was probably a storyette about the ABX in there). Now it's just wall-to-wall nasties, and I think for some of us it's actually rather nice to read those "Bulling & Bullson Partners radically revises asteroid hit prediction - we're gonna get it right in the chops" stories, if for no other reason than to smile and think "well, they've changed their tune".

That said, there is rather a lot of it at the moment.

VP

Some of the "unconventional" posters were (latterly) either severely "dissed", made to feel irrelevant by having posts shoved into the labyrinth (or removed altogether) or, in some cases I believe, banned.

Their departure (and you know the ones I'm talking about) appears to have limited the scope of debate, which in turn has led to other interesting posters getting bored and going elsewhere.

It's a pity..... but there are still plenty of fine posters here..... (I wonder how long this thread will last??)

Edited by Dubai

FWIW, IMO, there used to be a lot of contrary debate about (maybe) slightly of-topic threads which inspired discussion and was one of the reasons that drew myself to join in the first place. The recent change in moderation in the "main discussion" board to only tolerate topics specifically "house price" related has become rather tiresome , as you can pick up any paper or turn on your T.V. to find out the latest H.P.C. news.

Normally its to discuss whats in the media, most people want links as proof of an outcome and its a way to centralize news reports allowing others to see a wider picture.

Thoughts for the day:-

What an unreal place the UK is. Without a link you can't tell spoof from fiction.

More philosophical threads would be welcome (by me), but many posters ignore them; & once off page 1 it is adeus.

Life becomes tedious when the same news item appears with a different title & the later 'edition' receives even more replies :blink:

Drifting offtopic now:-

House prices will be a minor issue in the new austere Britain, so enjoy the bear fest now?

Lurk on GEI to keep the brain in shape; but note that gold will be down again next week.

I regret teasing Cgnao so much, esp as I took his advice

The strength of this site is that when VI news or Government kites are flown, the subject is discussed, diced up and regurgetated into what would appear to be the unspun version.

This site is the worlds equivalant of a moneylaundering machine

Spun, dirty news in, clean unspun bullshite and VI removed news out.

The strength of this site is that when VI news or Government kites are flown, the subject is discussed, diced up and regurgetated into what would appear to be the unspun version.

bump

Crystal clear

Spot On

Respect

Where do I vote 4U BL?

Hear hear BL

The news story is just that - a story, and on here it is just the beginning of the debate. If all that happened was posting of news stories, then that isn't a forum at all - it is a list, a collection.

This is the place I come to to make sense of all those news stories, to listen to people who are more knowledgable than I about such things. People who might have the real inside story.

And to add my odd irreverent comment.

Thanks for the reponses. It seems I am not alone. I've been here almost from the beginning and the threads back then were a lot more varied and wide ranging. I agree it's inevitable that the current bear-fest is bound to result in multiple similar threads and a plethora of media links. I suppose I should explore the other forums here more often.

Cheers,

VP

What i enjoy is the sheer range of backgrounds everyone comes from, and the differents takes people have on issues because of that. Also you learn so much on this forum, about subjects i didn't know i was interested in! I particuarly enjoy the history lessons you get on here, i know more about roman coin debassement, hyperinflation, south sea stock and colonial script than i ever thought i would!

Thanks for the reponses. It seems I am not alone. I've been here almost from the beginning and the threads back then were a lot more varied and wide ranging. I agree it's inevitable that the current bear-fest is bound to result in multiple similar threads and a plethora of media links. I suppose I should explore the other forums here more often.

Cheers,

VP

I find it extremely interesting and informative to have the newspaper articles (which are read by hundreds of thousands) dissected and analysed. Very often a different truth emerges.

With respect, i'd rather read those threads than the musings of anonymous posters on here. Journos no doubt deserve criticism but their views are important, right or wrong, and the amount I learn from people in effect arguing with them on these kind of threads is immense. If the site became entirely self-referencing and internalised it would be no better than a bar-room discussion. The real world media MUST be the basis of much of what we discuss. There are many excellent links to intelligent articles which agree with the long time bears on here in any case.

We are witnessing a slow-motion car-crash and having it all documented here and analysed is the reason I visit.