House Price Crash Forum

New Car Sales Anecdotal

Live Peasant

HOLA441

Earwigging in on a conversation between a a Nissan car dealer and the local burger van owner

Nissan have dropped their screen prices by £1000 per vehicle, introduced 0% finance on all models and are giving away £500 of fuel per sale and are then prepared to negotiate the price even further.

The sales chaps words were "Things are pretty deperate."

Anyone know what the typical margins are on a new medium car?

HOLA442
HOLA443
Nissan have dropped their screen prices by £1000 per vehicle, introduced 0% finance on all models and are giving away £500 of fuel per sale and are then prepared to negotiate the price even further.

So what are you going to do with half a tank of fuel? :lol:

HOLA444

Maybe if Nissan made cars big enough for Europeans to drive then they would sell them. I wanted to buy a Nissan Qashqai CVT which is a pretty big car on the outside... and I simply could not find enough room for my legs nor my head... talk about a cramped cockpit.

Oddly, the car that I found that had the biggest room, except for their huge 4x4 X-trail, was the smallest one they sell - the micra. The curved roof gives it loads of room and it has excellent leg room also.

I am looking to buy a newish car at the moment and I am finding that prices in dealers are not falling at all.

I have been looking at some VW Golfs which when new can be about 18K and the dealers have them at 6 - 12 months old for about 13 to 14K. Go to a car supermarket and the same 6 - 12 month old cars are about 10 - 11K. Who would pay 18K in a dealer when you can get a 6 month old one in a car supermarket for 10K?

HOLA445
for appearances sake,the dealers will probably be the people putting them through the discounter.

I had a feeling that was the case - literally can save 4K or 5K between local dealers and travelling 60 miles up the road to a car supermarket.

I missed out on several beautiful looking Golfs - right colour I wanted - all for about £10,500 and about 6 - 12 months old a few weeks back.

I had only started loking then so was a big unsure of things but now I am simply keeping an eye on the supermarkets. Have thought about emailing my local dealer and asking them about what best discount they can do... but I can't see them coming down by 1K let alone 2, 3, or 5K on their stock.

I note that today my local dealer has taken 1K off all his second-hand cars - but they are still too expensive.

HOLA446
Earwigging in on a conversation between a a Nissan car dealer and the local burger van owner

The sales chaps words were "Things are pretty deperate."

Anyone know what the typical margins are on a new medium car?

Would this included the new Nissan GTR as shown on Topgear?

HOLA447

I recall when the ex-President of South Africa was constantly having to turn away deliveries of brand new Nissan Cars from his front driveway - eventually he managed to explain to the delivery boys that they were coming to the wrong address and he was not the Nissan Main-Dealer

HOLA448
I recall when the ex-President of South Africa was constantly having to turn away deliveries of brand new Nissan Cars from his front driveway - eventually he managed to explain to the delivery boys that they were coming to the wrong address and he was not the Nissan Main-Dealer

I know that joke. I also know a few Japanese people (I once worked for a Japanese company)

Every one of them finds that 'joke' to be pretty racist.

HOLA449

just check out www.broadspeed.com or www.dealdrivers.co.uk and tell the dealer you can buy it for a significant saving still being from a main dealer for that price... what can he do to stop you going there, yes it might be a 60 miles away still but who cares, you still have the warranty respected by local dealers, and they are not imports either?

I found that all but the most stubborn of dealer will negotiate with you on this and match the internet price if your straight with them. Just know what you want and make there life easy as they dont really make much by way of margin, but it does get numbers up, and its potentially another car to service.

Citroen main dealer, (not franchise) were keen to deal direct rather than paying the commission to broadspeed etc. same price all but 100 quid.

HOLA4410
I know that joke. I also know a few Japanese people (I once worked for a Japanese company)

Every one of them finds that 'joke' to be pretty racist.

Oh dear. Please convey my deepest apologies to the Japanese nation, I shall now seek atonement and commit Hari Kari (even though the joke obviously implied South African delivery drivers in that country, it's a bit far to drive from Japan).

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Good joke.

Racist? Since when has taking the p!ss out of peoples accents been racist? And as for the Japanese, they're the most dyed in the wool racists on earth.

Got any more?

HOLA4414
I had a feeling that was the case - literally can save 4K or 5K between local dealers and travelling 60 miles up the road to a car supermarket.

I missed out on several beautiful looking Golfs - right colour I wanted - all for about £10,500 and about 6 - 12 months old a few weeks back.

I had only started loking then so was a big unsure of things but now I am simply keeping an eye on the supermarkets. Have thought about emailing my local dealer and asking them about what best discount they can do... but I can't see them coming down by 1K let alone 2, 3, or 5K on their stock.

I note that today my local dealer has taken 1K off all his second-hand cars - but they are still too expensive.

I've bought from these people before and they were very good

http://www.trade-sales.co.uk/search.aspx?T...2007&Srch=1

HOLA4415
Good joke.

Racist? Since when has taking the p!ss out of peoples accents been racist? And as for the Japanese, they're the most dyed in the wool racists on earth.

Got any more?

Don't flame me for simply telling you how it's percieved. Although, before you all get on your high horse (a pastime beloved on this site by many) ask yourself if it passes the Bill Hicks test.

When interviewed once on the rules of stand up, and where he draws the line between funny (which he was, hugely) and offensive (which he wasn't, he always stayed the right side of the line), he always said that if you wouldn't tell a joke, face to face in a social situation, to the group it pokes fun at, then you shouldn't really tell it at all.

So it's up to you if you would, or not.

Like I said though, the Japanese people I know take that one as insulting, it was a discussion topic when it did the rounds a few years back.

HOLA4416
Don't flame me for simply telling you how it's percieved. Although, before you all get on your high horse (a pastime beloved on this site by many) ask yourself if it passes the Bill Hicks test.

When interviewed once on the rules of stand up, and where he draws the line between funny (which he was, hugely) and offensive (which he wasn't, he always stayed the right side of the line), he always said that if you wouldn't tell a joke, face to face in a social situation, to the group it pokes fun at, then you shouldn't really tell it at all.

Like I said though, the Japanese people I know take that one as insulting, it was a discussion topic when it did the rounds a few years back.

I am sorry they feel insulted by such a silly joke, but then again this is a nation which is insulted by true-history books which details the appalling acts of genocide, murder, rape, starvation and brutality which the Japanes Imperial Army (or their Korean tied workers) perpetrated on the Chinese etc people who they conquered, or in their treatment of POWs. Hence Japanese schools are forbidden to use any books which have not glossed over these ugly and shameful episodes in Japanese history.

So if they feel insulted by a silly joke about Nelson Mandela than I would advise them that they have bigger image problems to worry about, and a little gentle ribbing never hurt anyone, unlike the point of a bayonet (although I was referring to South African delivery drivers!)

HOLA4417

I'll test that joke on my Mrs.....if she can drag her little yellow skin over in this direction.

Edit. She liked it, but then again we did spend quite a bit of time in South Africa.

Edited by council dweller

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Oh dear....we got off thread didn't we! What was it about ? Growing carrots or something like that.....then again we could talk about unit 731!

Something about new car sales being in the toilet I believe? Judging by the phone calls and mail I'm getting from my local BMW dealer, I can believe it ;)

HOLA4422

I was looking for a new car not long ago. The salesman practically begged me to buy the car. Although not what i wanted, but i couldn't resist. 6 month old 6000 mls Vauxhall Astra 1.8 petrol Elite, Auto, Leather, Cruise Control etc....etc..... £8k. Perfect working order. I expect a brand new one could be had for £14.5k.....

Steve

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425