House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

U Turn Number 27. Darling Gives Away 2p Fuel Duty Tax

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/16072008/140/2p-ri...-duty-hold.html

The 2p rise in fuel duty which was due to take effect in October has been postponed.
Chancellor Alistair Darling said the decision would help motorists and businesses "get through what is a difficult time for everyone".

With petrol at around 1.20 and diesel at 1.32 the extra "take" has been billions. No wonder Gordon wants it to be seen that he is listening to the electorate and "giving away" the 2p tax hike.

Pathetic bunch of fools.

Darling must be praying that oil does not resume its hike upwards this summer (Iranian 'situation', hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico ... etc .......) or the 2 p cut will be more than offset by the increase in price ....... what then?

Similarly, what will happen to the 10p tax rate losers in the 2009/10 budget? The 2.7bn 'rebate' was borrowed and is meant to be a one-off ....

What a mess .........

Darling must be praying that oil does not resume its hike upwards this summer (Iranian 'situation', hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico ... etc .......) or the 2 p cut will be more than offset by the increase in price ....... what then?

Similarly, what will happen to the 10p tax rate losers in the 2009/10 budget? The 2.7bn 'rebate' was borrowed and is meant to be a one-off ....

What a mess .........

Why on earth would Darling want that -he is already £6 billion better off due to increased royalties from North Sea Oil Revenues(which by and large is exported to the US ) - any further price hikes will only increase that take ...

Why on earth would Darling want that -he is already £6 billion better off due to increased royalties from North Sea Oil Revenues(which by and large is exported to the US ) - any further price hikes will only increase that take ...

I am talking about the millions of motorists/voters who would not benefit from this cut should petrol/diesel prices go up by more than 2p between now and October.

So basically, more long term pain for short term popularity gain.

I don't think I've despised anything as much as I currently do this government. :angry:

And meanwhile the Tories are trying to commit electoral suicide.

Or maybe they don't want to win the next general election (May 2010) and have to put taxes up to clear Gordon's mess.

Better wait 'til 2014/15 when Nu-Labour will have self-destructed and, maybe, the next economic 'upwards' cycle will have started (just like in 1997 really ....).

Another unnerving similarity with '97 is like the Millennium Dome, the 2012 Olympics look set to become a huge drain on public finances, except this time we're talking billions rather than millions.

What a great decision.

Gordon gets my vote and I'm not easily fooled, at last a PM that's listening to the people....

Darling said it's clear oil prices will remain high for some time.

Excellent news for the motorist - now Darling's said the price will stay high, watch the price slide :D

Or maybe they don't want to win the next general election (May 2010) and have to put taxes up to clear Gordon's mess.

Better wait 'til 2014/15 when Nu-Labour will have self-destructed and, maybe, the next economic 'upwards' cycle will have started (just like in 1997 really ....).

Another unnerving similarity with '97 is like the Millennium Dome, the 2012 Olympics look set to become a huge drain on public finances, except this time we're talking billions rather than millions.

The Tories always seem to be out of power when the major crisis's hit. In the 20's they let Labour in when the country nearly went into strike meltdown. During the 70's it was Labour in power when the worst happened.

This time they might not be able to pull that trick unless they engineer a Lib Dem victory for the next election.

It's a way of engineering the belief that the Tories are better off running the county, whereas the truth could be they know they've screwed it up so we'd better bugger off and let Labour take the blame, then everyone thinks you can't trust Labour.

Not that Blair and Brown performance in power didn't help engineer this crisis.

Guest Bart of Darkness
The Tories always seem to be out of power when the major crisis's hit.

1973 oil shock, three day week, power cuts.

I always thought Ted Heath was a jolly kind of PM myself. Still, he needed to be.

Darling said it's clear oil prices will remain high for some time.

Excellent news for the motorist - now Darling's said the price will stay high, watch the price slide :D

Didn't oil have a mini-crash today?

I have long thought $140ish would be the top as the world would we well on the way toward a serious recession/depression at those levels.

The Soviets won't be happy though as Comrade Putin saw GAZPROM as his instrument of destruction of the EU and western civilisation generally--especiall if he could do a deal with his friendly Moslems in Iran.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080716/wall_street.html

Light, sweet crude fell $4.09 to $134.65 on the New York Mercantile Exchange, compounding a drop of $6.44 on Tuesday.