House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Colour

What We've Known All Along

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/news/displ...e_in_Europe.php

The UK offers among the lowest quality of life in Europe despite residents earning the highest incomes, according to research released today.

The price of fuel and other essential goods, below-average spending on health and education, short holidays and late retirement, place Britain just above Ireland at the bottom of the uSwitch.com European quality of life index.

Although British families earn more than £10,000 over the European average, they pay the highest prices for diesel, 18% above the average, and the second-highest price for unleaded petrol, 6% more than average.

advertisement

They also pay 49% more for gas and 5% more for electricity - third-highest in Europe.

UK spending on healthcare and education is below the average, while life expectancy is the third-lowest at 78.9 years, compared to 80.9 in France or 80.7 in Sweden.

Workers have the third-highest retirement age and suffer the shortest holiday entitlement.

The weather adds to the grim tally, with Britain receiving 80% less sunshine than Spain, and 17% less than the European average.

A total of 41,026 residents left the UK in 2006, the highest number in Europe, with total emigration increasing by 30% from the UK since 2001.

The study assessed 19 factors to rank the UK in relation to nine other major countries across Europe.

Spain offers the best quality of life in Europe, despite families earning an annual net income of £16,789 - £8500 below the average.

The country enjoys low taxation, cheaper goods, higher than average life expectancy and a generous holiday allowance, uSwitch said.

France came second, boasting the second-highest spend on healthcare and the highest holiday allowance at 40 days.

Ann Robinson, director of consumer policy at uSwitch.com, said: "Soaring food prices and inflation, not to mention high property costs, are placing the biggest squeeze on disposable incomes.

"British households are facing huge financial pressure as take home pay stagnates, inflation continues to rise, and economic growth and house prices fall."

don't believe that on diesel for a second. france is ~E1.40/l (so roughly £1.20), even luxombourg is E1.28/l (around £1.15) - i recon we're paying over average by 5-10% at best

What a load of crap. How is the quality of life related to the price of gas? Oh, the survey is sponsored from uSwitch.com. So when I spend my weekend having a few pints of real ale, do some walking in the Lake District, go and watch a Premiership football game, then go and watch a band play and at the end of it I fill up my car, do I think "Oh no, iits £1.20 a litre, I'm going to go and kill myself my quality of life is so low". I know I'll move to Madrid where its 40 degrees in the summer and -40 degrees in the winter, cos that weather is soooo much better.

If the quality of life is so high in Eastern Europe, how come so many of them come over here to live. And if the quality of life is so high in France, why do they spend all their time rioting and striking? The only problem with the UK is that we have the biggest bunch of whingers in Europe.

How is the quality of life related to the price of gas?

Try restricting your central heating use during winter to two hours a day as I had to and you'll soon find out!

What a load of crap. How is the quality of life related to the price of gas? Oh, the survey is sponsored from uSwitch.com. So when I spend my weekend having a few pints of real ale, do some walking in the Lake District, go and watch a Premiership football game, then go and watch a band play and at the end of it I fill up my car, do I think "Oh no, iits £1.20 a litre, I'm going to go and kill myself my quality of life is so low". I know I'll move to Madrid where its 40 degrees in the summer and -40 degrees in the winter, cos that weather is soooo much better.

If the quality of life is so high in Eastern Europe, how come so many of them come over here to live. And if the quality of life is so high in France, why do they spend all their time rioting and striking? The only problem with the UK is that we have the biggest bunch of whingers in Europe.

The first is the result of the second, mon ami ;)

don't believe that on diesel for a second. france is ~E1.40/l (so roughly £1.20), even luxombourg is E1.28/l (around £1.15) - i recon we're paying over average by 5-10% at best

Glad to see someone else has noticed the exaggeration by Road Transport VI regarding difference in fuel prices.

I was in France 2 weeks ago and the smaller stations are charging nearly €1.50. The cheapest I saw was €1.39 a litre (about £1.15), and that was at a Supermarket where you needed some kind of membership card to buy it.

Don't know if hauliers get some kind of discount card though. ;)

edited for typos

Edited by Stourbridge Baggie

I'm going to go and kill myself my quality of life is so low".

if you need any tips, just ask. I'm sure there are many people on this site that would be more than willing to give you an assist

Guest Bart of Darkness
At least we're still leading the world in something! :lol:

We're No. 1, we're no. 1!

In your face, France!