House Price Crash Forum
grey shark

Uk Offers Among The Lowest Quality Of Life In Europe

British life quality 'falls short'

Press Assoc. - Wednesday, July 16 03:19 am

The UK offers among the lowest quality of life in Europe despite residents earning the highest incomes, according to research.

The price of fuel and other essential goods, below average spending on health and education, short holidays and late retirement place the UK just above Ireland at the bottom of the uSwitch.com European quality of life index.

Although British families earn more than £10,000 more than the European average, they pay the highest prices for diesel, 18% above the average, and the second highest price for unleaded petrol, 6% more than average. They also pay 49% more for gas and 5% more for electricity - the third highest prices in Europe.

UK spending on healthcare and education is below the European average while life expectancy is the third lowest at 78.9 years, compared to 80.9 in France or 80.7 in Sweden.

Workers have the third highest retirement age and suffer the shortest holiday entitlement - a week below average, according to the study. The weather adds to to the grim tally, with Britain receiving 80% less sunshine than Spain and 17% less than the European average.

A total of 41,026 residents left the UK in 2006, the highest number in Europe, with total emigration increasing by 30% from the UK since 2001.

The study assessed 19 factors to rank the UK in relation to nine other major countries across Europe.

Spain offers the best quality of life in Europe, despite families earning an annual net income of just £16,789 - £8,500 below the average and less than half that of the UK.

The country enjoys low taxation, cheaper essential goods, higher than average life expectancy and a generous holiday allowance, uSwitch said.

France came second, boasting the second highest spend on healthcare and the highest holiday allowance at 40 days.

So where does all our tax go then relative to the rest of Europe? Serious question.

Is it tax and land prices bleeding us dry? Who is benefitting?

So where does all our tax go then relative to the rest of Europe? Serious question.

Is it tax and land prices bleeding us dry? Who is benefitting?

Look no further than our masses of professional benefits claimants. Lifetimes spent on the dole, same as their father. With four or five kids paid for by the state who will also know nothing except subsistence from benefits.

Plus, the NHS and schools cost a fair bit to run but at least they offer wider benefits to society.

Spain offers the best quality of life in Europe, despite families earning an annual net income of just £16,789 - £8,500 below the average and less than half that of the UK.

It took me along time to discover money isn´t everything. It will be interesting to see how the quality of life bares up in a world recession.

...and in other news, dog bites man.

(Edited to add:) Was standing in line at the post office (half an hour to post a letter ffs) and lots of the local permanently unemployed were in there getting their cheques cashed or similar. Overheard a few conversations. Things I noted:

(1) These guys seemed to have a sense of community.

(2) They weren't doing too bad - I was quite envious of their lifestyle.

(3) They know the law back to front.

What a mess.

Edited by D'oh

It took me along time to discover money isn´t everything. It will be interesting to see how the quality of life bares up in a world recession.

How was this worked out? CIA World Factbook give Spanish GDP per capita at PPP as $30,100 and UK as $35,100 - not a great deal of difference.

Anyone got a better reference?

Guest An Bearin Bui
Look no further than our masses of professional benefits claimants. Lifetimes spent on the dole, same as their father. With four or five kids paid for by the state who will also know nothing except subsistence from benefits.

Plus, the NHS and schools cost a fair bit to run but at least they offer wider benefits to society.

France has plenty of professional benefits claimants as well, as do many of the larger EU countries with similarly generous welfare systems to the UK. I met people in Berlin who would outshine any UK benefit scrounger: the welfare system there entitles you to a dog allowance (most homeless / drop-outs there have lots of dogs as a result), will pay for you to see a therapist and gives single mothers very generous rent allowance and pays their phone, gas etc bills.

To find the real tax wasters, maybe we need to look higher up the class rankings at the middle-class benefits claimants i.e. senior workers in the public sector earning six figure salaries to push paper around a desk and plan creative diversity empowerment seminars. Before anyone excoriates me, I'm not talking about the guy at the council who maintains the local park but the Head of Landscaping and Green Space Empowerment or whatever who earns £150k and gets a golden handshake and a huge pension when he retires. Having lived in Germany and Belgium, both countries with similar levels of benefit dependency, the big difference I notice with the UK is that there aren't the cushy number jobs in the public sector there as there are in the UK. Bureaucrats in Germany are regarded with disdain and earn poor salaries relative to the private sector, as far as I could see.

Edited by An Bearin Bui

1  Spain			  £16,789 2  France			£24,220 3  Germany	   £27,4684  Netherlands £26,4145  Denmark	   £27,8346  Sweden		 £26,8487  Italy				£18,2188  Poland		   £21,3319  UK				   £35,73010 Ireland		 £29,192

Sorry, that table is completely and utterly mad. Poland richer than Italy? UK richer than Ireland?

France has plenty of professional benefits claimants as well, as do many of the larger EU countries with similarly generous welfare systems to the UK. I met people in Berlin who would outshine any UK benefit scrounger: the welfare system there entitles you to a dog allowance (most homeless / drop-outs there have lots of dogs as a result), will pay for you to see a therapist and gives single mothers very generous rent allowance and pays their phone, gas etc bills.

To find the real tax wasters, maybe we need to look higher up the class rankings at the middle-class benefits claimants i.e. senior workers in the public sector earning six figure salaries to push paper around a desk and plan creative diversity empowerment seminars. Before anyone excoriates me, I'm not talking about the guy at the council who maintains the local park but the Head of Landscaping and Green Space Empowerment or whatever who earns £150k and gets a golden handshake and a huge pension when he retires. Having lived in Germany and Belgium, both countries with similar levels of benefit dependency, the big difference I notice with the UK is that there aren't the cushy number jobs in the public sector there as there are in the UK. Bureaucrats in Germany are regarded with disdain and earn poor salaries relative to the private sector, as far as I could see.

I agree, there are serious numbers of wasters in non-jobs with crazy salaries, and when these people retire it's us who will have to pay their pensions. People talk about the pensions crisis but it is going to get a lot worse from here on in. Younger generations just won't put up with paying 60% of their income to keep the boomers alive after they've already robbed us all with their BTL schemes.

The greedy boomers will bear the brunt of their selfish behaviour soon enough, when they begin to rely on us to keep their bellies full.

The greedy boomers will bear the brunt of their selfish behaviour soon enough, when they begin to rely on us to keep their bellies full.

i will only be working to keep my own belly full.

we owed the boomers parents our gratitude for everything we received. not the boomers.

Try looking a bit further next time.. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gini_coefficient

1  Spain			  £16,789 2  France			£24,220 3  Germany	   £27,4684  Netherlands £26,4145  Denmark	   £27,8346  Sweden		 £26,8487  Italy				£18,2188  Poland		   £21,3319  UK				   £35,73010 Ireland		 £29,192

Sorry, that table is completely and utterly mad. Poland richer than Italy? UK richer than Ireland?

35k after taxes average income in the uk who are they kidding? spains mean is around 19k euros,16,789 is taken from a region in spain.

I'd agree with that. I know plenty of people in France who work in the public sector. The bottom and middle layers of the civil service don't pay well compared to their UK counterparts. eg; a teacher starting out in a secondary school will get about 1700€ (£1500) before tax in France. In the UK it's a little higher. But the big difference is salary progression. It will go up very slowly in France, usually by inflation. No more. And moving up the salary ladder takes years. In the UK, teachers can move from school to school for a bigger pay day. Unheard of across the channel.

Another type of worker, bin men, get around 1300€ before tax. A little overtime , if they are lucky, can add to this. Firemen are also paid a lot lower in france than the UK.

The one thing they do have though is security of employment and a decent pension. Worth their years of low pay, say some.

When I was last back in the UK I was shocked to see the levels of pay advertised in the quality papers for middle managers in local authorities, quangos , hospitals etc. Salaries that a French worker could only dream of :o

i will only be working to keep my own belly full.

we owed the boomers parents our gratitude for everything we received. not the boomers.

You obviously hate your parents, why not just smother them and collect the proceeds ? How can you always catagorise just one particular age group (which is what? in your mind exactly?) as all having the same attributes as one another? This is just gross stupidity and nothing more than a band wagon you have jumped on, just like the majority population (especially the young) all collectively decide who makes the best racket they are going play on their ipods, or what crap soapy they are all going to collectively subscribe to, a complete lack of individualism is how some may well describe just about anyone under the age of maybe 35 or so. The nastiest greediest generation/agegroup in my opinion is the current round of 35 - 40 year olds who have had the absolute best run in history re house prices, job satisfaction, wages and many other benefits that went available in such quantities in previous eras, they were the first to have over seas holidays as kids, 6 figure salaries in their 20's, etc etc so don't give me that horse crap about older people having life on a plate at your expense, remember there are far more of you spoilt brats around than them, by a large margin and it is you lot who wont be able to cope when we have a real recession without your £10 per day starbucks allowance and pay-for ringtones etc etc and with a bit of luck, you will living the life of luxury on the dole as you all seem to assume the unemployed lead.

You obviously hate your parents, why not just smother them and collect the proceeds ? How can you always catagorise just one particular age group (which is what? in your mind exactly?) as all having the same attributes as one another? This is just gross stupidity and nothing more than a band wagon you have jumped on, just like the majority population (especially the young) all collectively decide who makes the best racket they are going play on their ipods, or what crap soapy they are all going to collectively subscribe to, a complete lack of individualism is how some may well describe just about anyone under the age of maybe 35 or so. The nastiest greediest generation/agegroup in my opinion is the current round of 35 - 40 year olds who have had the absolute best run in history re house prices, job satisfaction, wages and many other benefits that went available in such quantities in previous eras, they were the first to have over seas holidays as kids, 6 figure salaries in their 20's, etc etc so don't give me that horse crap about older people having life on a plate at your expense, remember there are far more of you spoilt brats around than them, by a large margin and it is you lot who wont be able to cope when we have a real recession without your £10 per day starbucks allowance and pay-for ringtones etc etc and with a bit of luck, you will living the life of luxury on the dole as you all seem to assume the unemployed lead.

Could not have put it better myself. Well said!

35k after taxes average income in the uk who are they kidding? spains mean is around 19k euros,16,789 is taken from a region in spain.

Probably skewed somewhat by the small number of obscenely paid corporate execs we have.

Tables of figures for average salaries are a bit meaningless unless you have an average cost of living for each country to make a comparison to. This should include levels of taxation, housing and food, personal satisfaction etc.