House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Nationalist

Ast Expired But I'm Still There; Ll Takes The Money

My LL is very long term and a decent chap, but a bit scatty. My 1-yr AST expired on 1st April but every month I hand over a cheque and the LL doesn't seem to have remembered about renewal. He's got about 10 rental properties and works incredibly hard so I'm not surprised the paperwork is behind.

But, question, do we have some sort of implied legal relationship now, or am I a squatter? I hand over a cheque every month which he cashes. I'm not really worried about this; just curious to know if he or I have entered into some sort of de facto legal relationship.

Any thoughts.....?

My LL is very long term and a decent chap, but a bit scatty. My 1-yr AST expired on 1st April but every month I hand over a cheque and the LL doesn't seem to have remembered about renewal. He's got about 10 rental properties and works incredibly hard so I'm not surprised the paperwork is behind.

But, question, do we have some sort of implied legal relationship now, or am I a squatter? I hand over a cheque every month which he cashes. I'm not really worried about this; just curious to know if he or I have entered into some sort of de facto legal relationship.

Any thoughts.....?

You have entered a Legal Statatory Periodic Tenancy, all the terms and condition of your existing AST still stand and you are still protected by all the laws related to housing and tenancies.

The only difference is you are only obligued to give a months notice if you want to leave and he has to give two months. Secondly as long as no rent increase clause exists in the original contract he can not put your rent up for another 9 months.

Great if you want flexibility, not so great if you want security, however there is no harm in asking for a new AST on the same terms and price!!

Thanks for that Matt. I had a suspicion that some sort of implied legal relationship had come about. I'm happy with two months' notice so that's not an issue. I wouldn't be too happy coming home and finding the locks changed though! But it sounds like that can't legally happen.

Thanks for that Matt. I had a suspicion that some sort of implied legal relationship had come about. I'm happy with two months' notice so that's not an issue. I wouldn't be too happy coming home and finding the locks changed though! But it sounds like that can't legally happen.

Nope fully protected by all the law including protection from eviction, landlord repair obligations etc. etc. in effect nothing changes except the notice period... you can sleep easily tonight ;-)

The only difference is you are only obligued to give a months notice if you want to leave and he has to give two months. Secondly as long as no rent increase clause exists in the original contract he can not put your rent up for another 9 months.

Interesting. Having recently taken out a 12 month AST, It is in the contract that I will then move to a periodic tenancy after that. I assumed that once the AST was up that the LL would want to increase the rent. Are you saying that he cannot do this for another 12 months? ( no mention of rent increases in the contract)

Thanks

Interesting. Having recently taken out a 12 month AST, It is in the contract that I will then move to a periodic tenancy after that. I assumed that once the AST was up that the LL would want to increase the rent. Are you saying that he cannot do this for another 12 months? ( no mention of rent increases in the contract)

Thanks

We are having this debate on another thread, I say that is the case, others say no, I am not convinced I am right but I think I am.!!! the downside is it is easy for the LL to call notice and throw you out where as a new AST would secure tenure for another 12 months...