House Price Crash Forum
dave

Why Are Ebay Traders Doing So Well In The So Called Credit Crunch?

As you may be aware there are alot of so called ex-display and ex-demo items appearing on ebay. If you actually sat back and thought about it, why would one buyer have 20, 30 or even 50 of the same item all as ex-display or ex-demo models. Then another buyer would pop up on ebay selling another 50 or so of the exact same item. Suddenly you get pages of the same item on ebay all selling ex-display/demos. They are not ex-demos they are RETURNS.

Trust me, I know this happens. There was and still is alot of money to be made out of this game. Definately raises an ethical dilemma.

You would of thought with the credit crunch, the retail sector, even online sales would be massively negatvely impacted. But on the flip side, the sellers source this stuff from one of two major auction houses in the UK. One has the biggest sales in retail returns and the other has the largest square footage of its kind within the UK. These places are huge. They will sell anything and I mean anything. I remember they had a fleet of fire engines go through there once, ended up going to india.

Is this game recession proof?

Might well be, as the auction house prices are very responsive to the current climate, during january, portable dvd players drop though the floor, I am talking a tenner a unit. The more astute ebayers buy big and sell during better times of the year.

These ebayers will only bid at a certain maximum point to make sure they are still making a nice profit. Recession hits, shops reduces prices, ebayers bid even lower for stock items, and sell for even lower. Selling the exact same stuff as large retailers at a vastly reduced price.

The credit crunch is supposedly meant to be here, I know these ebayers personally, they are listing and selling at record levels. What started as little businesses, have turned into thriving business ventures. Like I said, raises a few ethical dilimmas, so it takes a certain type of person to make this business work. Those who can tell someone who has just parted with a couple of hundred quid that the item they bought only had a 7 days warranty, and point them to a small part of there terms and conditions.

Edited by dave

Easy - more people will be buying their luxury nonessentials second-hand. Also, more people needing to flog their MEW plasma telly or whatever to cover their huge debts.

eBay thrives for the same reasons that pawn and charity shops do well in a recession.

In fact, eBay's new draconian rules are coming into play because they can afford to lose a few disgruntled traders, plenty more will take their place and they have a complete monopoly.

Edited by DementedTuna

Most people accept that if you buy it on ebay it's not going to be backed up by any service or guarantee to speak of, and if they want that they should really buy it in a shop.

Some don't, when I used to be a seller on ebay I refunded a few with the polite message "I really think you'd be happier with Dixons".

This sort of trade, being cheaper, will probably do OK when people have less money to spend, I guess.

You can make some money on if that's what you want to do, but it does take work.

I personally found ebay to be very entertaining and quite interesting as a market, and most individuals there to be great do deal with. Can't be arsed with it now, though.

I've mostly sold science-fiction memorabilia on eBay and prices have dropped markedly. I think it's partly that Americans have stopped bidding and partly that there's less money around generally for what are quite frivolous purchases. But I agree that, for the kind of items you're talking about, this must be a boom time for traders.

Dave,

What are the names of these auction houses? Might be interested in having a dabble.

The reason Ebay concerns are doing OK will be the same reason Aldi, Lidl, Netto are carving out market share for themselves.

The luxury of driving the (not so) local large mall to buy one or two items priced to cover insane rent/rates is a luxury many won't be able to stomach.

Last two times I tried to sell on Ebay I had the items bought by Nigerian scammers who, basically, just screwed the whole thing up - resulting in endless emails, re-listing (what a fag that is) etc. etc.

Result - I don't use Ebay any more. It seems easy for these scammers to hi-jack other people's accounts.

I'm already scooping up bargains and having to basically give away stuff on ebay, it's surely like the housing market as long as you win on the snakes and loose on the ladders it all even outs and everyone pays less ebay fees ?

Look in the The Trader mag for auction houses etc, but alot of it is just tat & whole market is saturated.

www.the trader.co.uk

Does anyone know if Government Auction News is still in publication?

Look in the The Trader mag for auction houses etc, but alot of it is just tat & whole market is saturated.

www.the trader.co.uk

Does anyone know if Government Auction News is still in publication?

Hi

Try this link

M21er

Rare items will always sell whatever, I know people spending £100 on albums. There will be less bidders but the prices will stay high. It's the common as muck items that will suffer I think as people know if they miss it this time they can get it again in a few weeks.

Guest Mr Parry

Has there been a return of that old recession chestnut, Network Marketing (a.k.a Pyramid Selling) yet?

Always a sure sign of trouble.

Has there been a return of that old recession chestnut, Network Marketing (a.k.a Pyramid Selling) yet?

Always a sure sign of trouble.

Similar.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_...icle4322737.ece

Middle class take up second jobs to help cope with credit crunch

The economic slowdown has also boosted the fortunes of Avon, the cosmetics company that uses members of the public to sell its products from home. It has attracted about 17,000 new recruits in the past year.

Guest Mr Parry
Similar.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_...icle4322737.ece

Middle class take up second jobs to help cope with credit crunch

The economic slowdown has also boosted the fortunes of Avon, the cosmetics company that uses members of the public to sell its products from home. It has attracted about 17,000 new recruits in the past year.

Yep, remember it well back in '91.

People wound up with garages full of stange artefacts, such as water filters and diet cookies along with strange new 'professional' titles such as '2nd level area marketing co-ordinator' knighted upon them by . . . . CROOKS!

Network Marketing . . . Multi-Level Marketing . . . whatever they call it, please however desperate anyone reading this gets in the future, for the love of God AVOID . . . no . . . RUN!

Yep, remember it well back in '91.

People wound up with garages full of stange artefacts, such as water filters and diet cookies along with strange new 'professional' titles such as '2nd level area marketing co-ordinator' knighted upon them by . . . . CROOKS!

Network Marketing . . . Multi-Level Marketing . . . whatever they call it, please however desperate anyone reading this gets in the future, for the love of God AVOID . . . no . . . RUN!

And who could forget Amway products! You'd go to a party and someone would sidle up to you and ask if you wanted a gallon of patented spectacle cleaning fluid...then there were the people with badges saying 'Lose Weight Now; Ask Me How!'

Guest Mr Parry
And who could forget Amway products! You'd go to a party and someone would sidle up to you and ask if you wanted a gallon of patented spectacle cleaning fluid...then there were the people with badges saying 'Lose Weight Now; Ask Me How!'

And it's when they get family involved that you finally realise how others in the animal kingdom can actually eat their young.

The multi layer marketing schemes seem to have started already. I was approached by a charming woman who tried to get me interested in some product that had the seven sugars that are missing from my diet. I didn't have the heart to tell I was a chemist and that she was spouting nonsense.

But getting back to the original post, I don't think selling stuff cheap on Ebay is that easy or risk free. If you can pick up stock cheap more easily you still have to shift it at a margin. If things get really bad some items are not going to sell at any price. I have a lot more respect for this as a business than buying flats off plan in expectation of continually rising prices.

And it's when they get family involved that you finally realise how others in the animal kingdom can actually eat their young.

:lol::lol::lol: