House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Flatdog

Post Office Closures

BBC has reported that one in five Post Offices in Cornwall are set to close, a number of residents (St Neot etc) were interviewed and their reaction to the news borders on disbelief.

Guest happy?
BBC has reported that one in five Post Offices in Cornwall are set to close, a number of residents (St Neot etc) were interviewed and their reaction to the news borders on disbelief.

Wait till the Daily Mail gets hold of it. Oh the humanity! "Will no-one think of the children?"

Well, it may not impact directly on house prices, but post office closures impact on communities already torn up by the scourge of second homes.

1929crash

In many small villages the only two public commercial outlets are/were the post office and the pub.

The post office invariably would double as a local shop, the pub as a meeting and socializing place.

Take out those two and that village turns into a group of houses with collective name and err, just maybe a village hall and that is about it.

It will be interesting to see how much money is thrown at the banksters whilst the collective fabric of the lives of many simply falls apart.

OP, small Ebay & Amazombie seller won't be happy, having to pay more petrol to post stuff elsewhere.

How much are the old PO buildings by the way? I'm looking for a second ex- Po home ;)

Edit: this is the article methinks

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/7506255.stm

Dismay over post office closures

Local people are vowing to fight the cuts

Sixty-two post offices in Cornwall could close or become outreach services, it has been revealed.

It has identified 49 branches for closure, with 13 more replaced with a mobile service.

Nine further communities in east Cornwall will lose their mobile service, as announced last month as part of the Devon closures.

Local people have reacted with dismay that one in five branches in the county will be affected

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

1929crash

In many small villages the only two public commercial outlets are/were the post office and the pub.

The post office invariably would double as a local shop, the pub as a meeting and socializing place.

Take out those two and that village turns into a group of houses with collective name and err, just maybe a village hall and that is about it.

All true, but for my money a community is finished when the primary school closes. I will never live in a village that doesn't have a primary school.

Everyone suffers when small businesses close. The answer would be to sell them all off to the tesco emporium that is expanding into new markets.

I'm sure they'd jump at the chance to sell their brand along side stamps.

All true, but for my money a community is finished when the primary school closes. I will never live in a village that doesn't have a primary school.

Agreed most definitely - and this is even more true when there is particular language community at stake - like the many in Welsh rural areas whose first language is Welsh.

Plus not having community facilities means that you have to use up valuable and expensive energy resouces in driving there.