House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Families Suffer As Price Of Groceries Soars

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/busi...icle4333404.ece

Spiralling food prices have pushed the cost of a family's weekly shop up by nearly £1,100 a year, new figures reveal.

The price of staple groceries has risen by more than a fifth since July last year as food producers deal with with soaring wheat, rice and energy costs, figures from mysupermarket, the shopping comparison site show.

The cost of a loaf of white bread from Tesco has risen by 50 per cent to 72p in the past year while the price of a 1kg bag of basmati rice at Sainsbury's has risen by 110 per cent to £1.89.

The figures highlight the increasing strain on consumers. Despite a surge in high street sales in May as people replenished their summer wardrobes, like-for-like retail sales fell by 0.03 per cent in the three months to June, pushing the annual decrease to 0.4 per cent, according to figures from the British Retail Consortium (BRC).

How long before we see ration cards making a come back???

I know what would help if Mystic Merv put up interest rates to say 10% that would sort out this inflation problem.

I think there is a certain amount of flexibility in househould consumption habits, i.e cut back on the luxury foodstuffs, don't waste as much etc. The trouble is this only helps the downward spiral of the economy, we really are just experiencing those first big splats of rain as the storm approaches.

I think there is a certain amount of flexibility in househould consumption habits, i.e cut back on the luxury foodstuffs, don't waste as much etc. The trouble is this only helps the downward spiral of the economy, we really are just experiencing those first big splats of rain as the storm approaches.

BOGOF!

Perhaps they just shop at M&S or Waitrose.

It's just copy you think it would make a good story if they said a family of 4 food bill rises by £5.50 a month. That's not headline grabbing stop looking for the detail and go with the flow. :)

So we won't be seeing many more of those in the supermarket then!!!!

I once worked for a food producer (pork products), 95% of our output went to Sainsburys, if they told us we were doing a BOGOF, then that was that.

I once worked for a food producer (pork products), 95% of our output went to Sainsburys, if they told us we were doing a BOGOF, then that was that.

So it's not even the producer that decides, it's the supermarket. Fantastic.

Perhaps they just shop at M&S or Waitrose.

It's just copy you think it would make a good story if they said a family of 4 food bill rises by £5.50 a month. That's not headline grabbing stop looking for the detail and go with the flow. :)

What -- 1100 pounds a year to find extra is a trifle? That's £21 a week!

The same goes for energy... think about it, the dole give people about £50 a week. When certain people cannot run their playstations or TVs to numb their minds and pass the time anymore, things will get 'interesting'.

Here is the bit I like

Despite a surge in high street sales in May as people replenished their summer wardrobes

a wardrobe is not something that needs replinishing on a seasonal basis

.. well what else did you think Nulab's ID cards were meant to be for really !!!

I think folk are cutting back a bit, putting some on the plastic and hoping it all blows over swftly. The trouble will come when it doesn't blow over, gets worse and the plastic reaches it's limit.

Here is the bit I like

Despite a surge in high street sales in May as people replenished their summer wardrobes

a wardrobe is not something that needs replinishing on a seasonal basis

It is if your a fashion/consumer victim who has to spend every penny they earn.

The wife is fed up of me telling her to stop buying crap.

I was watching the news this morning about the cost of childcare in the summer holidays, how parents were finding it tough. Cut to sports centre where some posh woman was moaning about paying £90 a week each for her two kids to have fencing lessons. Cut to another centre where kids are learning to rock climb. She said it's important they have access to these sports. My heart bleeds for her. <_<

People in the western world don't have a fliping clue do they. There are kids dying of aids in africa and some woman is moaning as she can't afford the fencing lessons.

I was watching the news this morning about the cost of childcare in the summer holidays, how parents were finding it tough. Cut to sports centre where some posh woman was moaning about paying £90 a week each for her two kids to have fencing lessons. Cut to another centre where kids are learning to rock climb. She said it's important they have access to these sports. My heart bleeds for her. <_<

People in the western world don't have a fliping clue do they. There are kids dying of aids in africa and some woman is moaning as she can't afford the fencing lessons.

Holy crap. Reality can't come fast enough, really.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/busi...icle4333404.ece

I know what would help if Mystic Merv put up interest rates to say 10% that would sort out this inflation problem.

No it wouldn't - food and energy prices would still be going up because of factors outside the realm of the financial world. :rolleyes:

What happened to just going out on your bike, having swordfights with sticks and climbing trees?

Oh sorry, even if the paedos don't get you, the H&S mafia will.

0% interest on food purchases with M&S credit card for 6 months, and i felt sick at the adverts offering credit for that 2 week holiday!

Credit to eat, must be a bankers wet dream.

0% interest on food purchases with M&S credit card for 6 months, and i felt sick at the adverts offering credit for that 2 week holiday!

Credit to eat, must be a bankers wet dream.

How would they know if you've just bought food? If you buy from Asda / Tesco etc... they sell a host of electrical's and clothing which wouldn't get picked up on the bill?

I was watching the news this morning about the cost of childcare in the summer holidays, how parents were finding it tough. Cut to sports centre where some posh woman was

The woman said it was £125 a week which sounded brilliant.

The bloke parent was waffling on about how it cost 2k a year to look after kids in holidays and that they had to cut back on other areas of their life like holidays and cars.

I did think that getting kids to be in school all year round with only a 2 week holiday would eliminate some of the problem with child care.

The woman said it was £125 a week which sounded brilliant.

The bloke parent was waffling on about how it cost 2k a year to look after kids in holidays and that they had to cut back on other areas of their life like holidays and cars.

I did think that getting kids to be in school all year round with only a 2 week holiday would eliminate some of the problem with child care.

And who will teach the little darlings? Are you suggesting that teachers should only get 2 weeks holiday a year? The legal minimum is 20 days. They'd need a whole lot more teachers to make that idea work. That'll put your tax up quite a bit. Won't be good for the children either, aren't they entitled to some time off?

Not suffering here. No siree.

If you get used to eating grisle/eyebrow/brain/spinal cord/***** sausages and burgers, or water blasted reformed chicken then you wont have noticed this so called cpi "inflation" rise.

Also a big dolop of economy ketchup hides the taste anyway.

yum.

I've cut back on buying food

And started to shoot it instead- wood pigeon & rabbits

fx2000.jpg

post-10375-1216240245_thumb.jpg