House Price Crash Forum

Barclays To Scrap 1,800 It Jobs In The Uk

R K

HOLA441

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/15/ba...ys_it_job_cuts/

Barclays is to axe 1,800 IT jobs in the UK as part of a major business overhaul to set up technology centres in key offshore locations around the world, with 700 workers being forced out by September.

The bank first told staff about its outsourcing plans in January this year. In a canned statement Barclays said it hoped to “become one of a handful of universal banks leading the global financial services industry, helping our customers and clients throughout the world to achieve their goals.

“To achieve our ambition, we need to transform to a global organisation, able to serve the needs of our customers and clients who have operations around the world.”

Barclays added that it will create "centrally-managed technologies centres of excellence" [sic] in Europe, Africa and Asia. Offshore locations understood to have already been pinpointed by the company include Hungary, India and Singapore.

British jobs for British workers..............and Hungarians........and Indians.......and Singaporians......and.....

Edited by Red Kharma

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

So, why doesn't every IT worker in the country close their account with Barclays?

I would, if I had one.

Boy, I wish the internet WORKED! If Barclays got 100,000 letters from UK IT workers saying they would shut their accounts unless they keep the IT functions in the UK, they'd soon change their mind.

Great globalization isn't it?

You do realise that in 10 years time half this country will be out of work and we'll all be fighting for scraps.

Houses will be cheap though.

HOLA445
So, why doesn't every IT worker in the country close their account with Barclays?

I would, if I had one.

Boy, I wish the internet WORKED! If Barclays got 100,000 letters from UK IT workers saying they would shut their accounts unless they keep the IT functions in the UK, they'd soon change their mind.

You do realise that in 10 years time half this country will be out of work and we'll all be fighting for scraps.

That long!

HOLA446

I would, if I had one.

In my business I can attest to the massive amount of IT skill India has to offer, I can also attest to how it very frequently gets botched because of the faults in the specifications coming from the UK to be coded there. You can't just pick up the phone and call about a problem because of the time difference and a massive amount of cash is then spent ferrying people to and fro from India to firefight the problems. Most companies that value their reputation and project timelines move it back to the UK when they learn the hard way. Can't see Barclays being any different.

I'll do a letter if there's a bunch of us up for it.

TFH

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

They said that when mining left. They said that when manufacturing left. They said that when call centers left. On each occasion they were wrong. Now it's the turn of IT, and to quote a site favorite - it's not different this time (apart from the industry of course).

It truly sucks for those of us in IT - I've no idea what I'll end up doing when my job finally gets outsourced. Many of us will be faced with starting again at the bottom in a different career. Some will become long term unemployed, and others will end up in minimum wage jobs. Some will find a way of taking advantage of the situation and be better off than before. Life will go on for most outside of IT, same as it did before.

EDIT: Typo, clarity.

Edited by impatient_mug

HOLA4410
They said that when mining left. They said that when manufacturing left. They said that when call centers left. On each occasion they were wrong. Now it's the turn of IT, and to quote a site favorite - it's not different this time (apart from the industry of course).

It truly sucks for those of us in IT - I've no idea what I'll end up doing when my job finally gets outsourced. Many of us will be faced with starting again at the bottom in a different career. Some will become long term unemployed, and others will end up in minimum wage jobs. Some will find a way of taking advantage of the situation and be better off than before. Life will go on for most, same as did before.

Tell me about it! I´m an ex-contractor who could only find minimum wage work at over 40 once the original IT skill set had become obsolete. Rising out goings and rapidly disappearing savings made the emigration decision that much easier.

HOLA4411

I believe that in reality there are too many people in the world for all of us of working age to be in gainful employment. Years ago it was possible for there to be just one breadwinner in a household. Perhaps the standard of living was not quite as good as some now experience but neither was our perception of how much better things could be!! :lol:

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I would, if I had one.

Exactly why would they want lots of soon to be unemployed people to have accounts with them?

Dooom, doom, doom. Just what I am waiting for.

HOLA4414

It truly sucks for those of us in IT - I've no idea what I'll end up doing when my job finally gets outsourced. Many of us will be faced with starting again at the bottom in a different career. Some will become long term unemployed, and others will end up in minimum wage jobs. Some will find a way of taking advantage of the situation and be better off than before. Life will go on for most outside of IT, same as it did before.

EDIT: Typo, clarity.

"It truly sucks for those of us in IT "

I guess it all depends on which area

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Tell me about it! I´m an ex-contractor who could only find minimum wage work at over 40 once the original IT skill set had become obsolete. Rising out goings and rapidly disappearing savings made the emigration decision that much easier.

That's the real problem with IT though - it can be done pretty much anywhere in the world once you have reliable, cheap high speed communications. I don't see a lot of future for it in the UK except where there is a need for local onsite support.

HOLA4417
That's the real problem with IT though - it can be done pretty much anywhere in the world once you have reliable, cheap high speed communications. I don't see a lot of future for it in the UK except where there is a need for local onsite support.

Yep, don't you see the irony of it. Technology hasn't really helped the workers - just put some of them out of jobs. Will we see a revival of the Luddites :o

HOLA4418