House Price Crash Forum
TheBlueCat

Trouble In Euro Land

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm.../ccspain115.xml

A couple of interesting quotes:

Officials in Berlin have warned that Germany's economy could contract by as much as 1.5pc in the second quarter as export orders crumble.

What was that about Germany being ok because they still make stuff?

In Castilla-La Mancha - Don Quixote's region - some 69pc of all houses built over the past three years are still unsold.

That's a sh1t load of empty holiday flats (I assume that's what they are mostly).

Trouble is Ambrose Evans-Pritchard is such an anti-European loonie that even if he is right, few would believe him. Apart from Torygraph readers in their rose-covered bunkers, I suppose.

Trouble is Ambrose Evans-Pritchard is such an anti-European loonie that even if he is right, few would believe him. Apart from Torygraph readers in their rose-covered bunkers, I suppose.

Agreed in the general case. The German growth quote is real enough though, several other - less obviously biased - sources have it too.

euro isnt as bad as they say.

Edited by crash2006

yep, it's difficult in euroland. would be silly to think it could avoid recession in the current climate.

however, with personal debt a lot lower than the US/UK and savings rates very much higher, they should be able to ride out the storm a little better than your average US/UK household.

As for Germany making stuff giving them a better chance ?

I just bought a Karcher last weekend for 150€. Why ? Because the made in China one I bought 2 weeks before caught fire after 2mins of use. I got my 60€ refund from the retailer, didn't want an exchange !!

I was going to buy the Karcher at first, then thought I'd try the cheaper model. Won't make that mistake twice. Even unpacking , you can see the difference in quality and built. Steel instead of plastic, thicker cabling etc.

Karcher is made in Germany.

[

That's a sh1t load of empty holiday flats (I assume that's what they are mostly).

With regard to Spain, Santander being a big bank there, what sort of health are they in? Surely they must have had a hand in the construction and sale of over-priced blocks of concrete. So, how come they are rescuing one of our dodgy banks banks? Are they keen to add poorly-performing loans to brick'n'mortar to their poorly-performing concrete ones? Or is there some sort of ulterior motive here, like trying to ingratiate itself with a big Central Bank if Spain decides to exit the Euro?

Peter.

With regard to Spain, Santander being a big bank there, what sort of health are they in? Surely they must have had a hand in the construction and sale of over-priced blocks of concrete. So, how come they are rescuing one of our dodgy banks banks? Are they keen to add poorly-performing loans to brick'n'mortar to their poorly-performing concrete ones? Or is there some sort of ulterior motive here, like trying to ingratiate itself with a big Central Bank if Spain decides to exit the Euro?

Peter.

I'd wondered that as well but, according to published figures at least, they're very well capitalised. Either they're lying, or they kept away from big lending in the propery sector. Only time will tell I guess.

yep, it's difficult in euroland. would be silly to think it could avoid recession in the current climate.

however, with personal debt a lot lower than the US/UK and savings rates very much higher, they should be able to ride out the storm a little better than your average US/UK household.

I just bought a Karcher last weekend for 150€. Why ? Because the made in China one I bought 2 weeks before caught fire after 2mins of use. I got my 60€ refund from the retailer, didn't want an exchange !!

I was going to buy the Karcher at first, then thought I'd try the cheaper model. Won't make that mistake twice. Even unpacking , you can see the difference in quality and built. Steel instead of plastic, thicker cabling etc.

i purchased a cheap toaster from argos 6.49 4 pieces, took it back after 3 months faulty, they refusing to exchange it.

No you have got that dead wrong. It is the loony Euro fascists & federalists with their undemocratic, dated, corrupt Euroreich who are in the Berlin bunker.

Let's see what happens to the Euro & the Euroreich in a serious downturn - with Spain, Italy & Greece already heading for the rocks.

During the early 1970's oil crisis & economic downturn, the European currency 'snake' (a more relaxed form of currency co-operation than the Euro) set up in 1972 was blown apart in 1973 when 3 out of 6 countries were forced out.

i purchased a cheap toaster from argos 6.49 4 pieces, took it back after 3 months faulty, they refusing to exchange it.

Strange you should say that we bought one slightly more expensive about £14 and the wife took that back yesterday for a replacement the women said that they've had no end of that model back and they where rubbish.

Although paying £6.50 for a toaster what sort of build quality did you expect? Was it only a limited warranty for that price?

Sorry to hear that :(

The Chinese "karcher" had a 3 month shop guarantee, assuming I still had the original receipt.

The German Karcher has a 3 year guarantee.

No contest :D

No you have got that dead wrong. It is the loony Euro fascists & federalists with their undemocratic, dated, corrupt Euroreich who are in the Berlin bunker.

Let's see what happens to the Euro & the Euroreich in a serious downturn - with Spain, Italy & Greece already heading for the rocks.

During the early 1970's oil crisis & economic downturn, the European currency 'snake' (a more relaxed form of currency co-operation than the Euro) set up in 1972 was blown apart in 1973 when 3 out of 6 countries were forced out.

What was sterling doing at this time? Was it a stable currency and a haven in times of turmoil ?

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

You can afford toasters? I have to leave my bread out in the sun and fight off the birds to make my toast.

You can afford toasters? I have to leave my bread out in the sun and fight off the birds to make my toast.

Nope. A Karcher is a high-pressure water hose. Used to clean cars, bikes etc. Very useful :)

Toasters? I last bought a Phillips toaster 13 years ago. At the time it was made in Holland or Belgium, and is still toasting well.

When it finally breaks, I dread to think what piece of junk I'll be obliged to buy from sweatshop China. If I can find a French / German / UK built one that'll get my hard earned cash. Not sure if we build toasters anymore ? :(

Nope. A Karcher is a high-pressure water hose. Used to clean cars, bikes etc. Very useful :)

Toasters? I last bought a Phillips toaster 13 years ago. At the time it was made in Holland or Belgium, and is still toasting well.

When it finally breaks, I dread to think what piece of junk I'll be obliged to buy from sweatshop China. If I can find a French / German / UK built one that'll get my hard earned cash. Not sure if we build toasters anymore ? :(

Lockhart still make toasters in the UK. Not cheap though.

With regard to Spain, Santander being a big bank there, what sort of health are they in?

FT: In praise of Santander

Euroreich? Bunker? It's that kind of absurd language abuse that ensures UKIP stays way out on the margins.

I'm sick of chinese tat manufacturing ruining everything I buy. I go looking for european or other country's good and fall back on chinese tat when all else fails. It's shockingly crap. When I was a kid, it was a joke about things made in Taiwan or Hong Kong breaking after 2 minutes and now China's the joke.

TFH

Euroreich? Bunker? It's that kind of absurd language abuse that ensures UKIP stays way out on the margins.

Spanish banks weren't allowed by papa central bank in Madrid to engage in the purchase of crap American debt.

Times today said the people who run Santander don't like "complex investments" and are willing to take the loss on a firesale of £12 billion of A&L securities. Will this force mark to market on other UK banks? They're still lying their arses off about their liabilities.

I'm sick of chinese tat manufacturing ruining everything I buy. I go looking for european or other country's good and fall back on chinese tat when all else fails. It's shockingly crap. When I was a kid, it was a joke about things made in Taiwan or Hong Kong breaking after 2 minutes and now China's the joke.

TFH

When I was a kid, I still remember German stuff - BMW & Merceded cars excluded - being the cheap and nasty stuff, particularly bikes. How times have changed.

You highlight your own foolishness 'bunker' was used in your own original post.

I am nothing to do with UKIP just a disenfranchised European democrat watching the third generation of German imperialists build the Euroreich as undemocratically as they did their previous two attempts. The consent of the governed - absent.

You highlight your own foolishness 'bunker' was used in your own original post.

I am nothing to do with UKIP just a disenfranchised European democrat watching the third generation of German imperialists build the Euroreich as undemocratically as they did their previous two attempts. The consent of the governed - absent.

Hah! You got the double irony! :P

I was considering the karcher too, then I noticed the bucket and sponge were much cheaper.

When I was a kid, I still remember German stuff - BMW & Merceded cars excluded - being the cheap and nasty stuff, particularly bikes. How times have changed.

Really? I am 35, and the HK / Taiwan stuff was usually plastics based toys, stationary (rulers pencil cases etc) or small electronics items like cheap AM radios. A child's view of the world cos I was a child.

TFH