House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bloo Loo

Food Parcel Inflation 13.39%

Hi all,

Daughters food parcel round up time.

As regulars will know, i used to send a parcel of food up to my daughter for Uni. Shes home now, got her degree and now looking for work.

Using the same data as the first parcel I can now report on the rise in the cost of the parcel in annual terms

it includes bread, fruit, vegetables, milk and eggs, plus other vital things like meats and sauces.

in July 2007 the parcel was £32.23

in July 2008 the parcel is £36.54

That is a rise of 13.39%

Add a tank of petrol (50 litres) to the mix and the rise is a whopping 19.95% ( the fuel is £11.50 more)

Edited by Bloo Loo

now shes back. what are you doing with all the parcels ?

theres a war on! dontchaknow! red cross needs em.

would this be a good time to mention gold rising sharply today ?

| can assure you there was no gold, Ipods or Houses in the food parcel.

guess there should have been.

I hadn't realised this before - has anyone noticed that Tesco is now selling Apple and Orange Juice "Nectar" which is only 50% concentrate?

They're the same price 100% concentrate products were 2 years ago...

If there's an example of falling living standards (health, diet) that's it...

| can assure you there was no gold, Ipods or Houses in the food parcel.

guess there should have been.

what. no gomertronics ?

thats why she left cos of all this abuse.

this is no accident. this is abuse.

this child has been beaten up.

would this be a good time to mention gold rising sharply today ?

No! Your not allowed to mention the G word on this site, especially as those pesky gold bugs appear to be correct ;)

Regards,

crude.

Hi all,

Daughters food parcel round up time.

As regulars will know, i used to send a parcel of food up to my daughter for Uni. Shes home now, got her degree and now looking for work.

Using the same data as the first parcel I can now report on the rise in the cost of the parcel in annual terms

it includes bread, fruit, vegetables, milk and eggs, plus other vital things like meats and sauces.

in July 2007 the parcel was £32.23

in July 2008 the parcel is £36.54

That is a rise of 13.39%

Add a tank of petrol (50 litres) to the mix and the rise is a whopping 19.95% ( the fuel is £11.50 more)

I hate to be negative on this but ... how much has the sofa that you sit on increased in price? How much was her new iPod? Did the last digital camera you bought cost more or less than the previous one ? Inflation is not limited to food and energy.

I hate to be negative on this but ... how much has the sofa that you sit on increased in price? How much was her new iPod? Did the last digital camera you bought cost more or less than the previous one ? Inflation is not limited to food and energy.

People suffering financial stress dont buy luxuries, they buy food, they pay rent, they heat themselves.

This squeeze affects them more than anyone else.

Thats why the arguments about car tax affecting people who can easily afford a 15000 car is so distasteful to me.

People on minimum wage however are squeezed when necessities are priced up.

I think your allowed to bring in the settee, luxury's argument when things are stable

But in a volatile economy which we are now in, in reality, who exactly will be buying the new comps, settee's and clothes when times are hard, when your left over money is consumed 100% by necessities, when the men and women who have 5 kids and live in a rent free house, have more spare funds than the men and women working a 48 hour week with 5 kids at school, be it working at macdonalds, or where ever struggling to make ends meet.

When we discuss inflation from the 'heart', its the basic necessities that are topic of the day (things which everyone needs to spend on in a common house hold/ reasonable/ regular man, on a clapham bus), these should be basic rights, and basic necessities needed to function in a modern society.

Everyone is feeling the pinch...

:lol: gotcha, nice try, who let Alistair Darling log in as Warwick Watcher from Austria? :rolleyes: I-pods, Settees, Digicams, memory sticks indeed... ;)