House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Merv Was Offered A 40% Pay Rise But Said No

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm...5/cnmerv115.xml

Bank of England Governor Mervyn King rejects pay rise
By Angela Monaghan
Last Updated: 6:32am BST 15/07/2008
Mervyn King, the Governor of the Bank of England, has turned down a pay rise of around £100,000 because he did not feel it was appropriate in the current economic climate.
Mr King rejected the near-40pc pay rise to £400,000 when he was reappointed as Bank of England Governor this summer, according to the Bank’s annual report.
It is thought he did so fearing that an above-inflation pay increase might prompt workers to demand higher salaries.

40% would have been an "above inflation pay increase?' 40% is just "above" inflation?

IMO, pay for civil servant type jobs, especially in the local authorities, is nothing short of outrageous. Most local government bosses are well into 6 figure salaries along with many subordinate slots. I have a theory that these super-pay jobs for things such as neighbourhood watch coordinators or ethnic hiring supervisors are "jobs for the boys." They are advertised but already set aside for a relative of someone already in the high pay government system. And many winder why council tax is so high? Piggies at the trough wages.

Guest KingCharles1st

Good for Swerv- lets pull some positives just once in a while- now as long as he didn't accept a 99K- or 98K rise instead :lol:

40% payrise is cheap for keeping Nulabour snouts in the trough with the low interest rate policy.

As far as I can see the low inflation policy was a lie from the start.

By Angela Monaghan
Mervyn King, the Governor of the Bank of England, has turned down a pay rise of around £100,000 because he did not feel it was appropriate in the current economic climate.
Mr King rejected the near-40pc pay rise to £400,000 when he was reappointed as Bank of England Governor this summer, according to the Bank's annual report.
It is thought he did so fearing that an above-inflation pay increase might prompt workers to demand higher salaries.

40% would have been an "above inflation pay increase?' 40% is just "above" inflation?

IMO, pay for civil servant type jobs, especially in the local authorities, is nothing short of outrageous. Most local government bosses are well into 6 figure salaries along with many subordinate slots. I have a theory that these super-pay jobs for things such as neighbourhood watch coordinators or ethnic hiring supervisors are "jobs for the boys." They are advertised but already set aside for a relative of someone already in the high pay government system. And many winder why council tax is so high? Piggies at the trough wages.

Add to that their final salary inflation increasing pensions for these particular piggies.

In Bolivia they have a law saying no public servant may earn more than the president.

In Jan 2006 Evo Morales was elected president and one of his first acts was to give himself a 57% pay cut!

I like his style. :P

[And many winder why council tax is so high? Piggies at the trough wages.

This is something crazy indeed...surely we all know about economies of scale and where else if not in a dense city like London you may expect to find some. Where on earth do they put all that money is beyond my comprehension (unless as you say it's all about 6digit salaries), but I certainly don't feel any value for money... You may visit many other places in Europe where local authority financing is much leaner yet you get far more superior service and feeling...

Are topics repeated within 24 hrs an HPC test for short term memory loss? :blink:

Are topics repeated within 24 hrs an HPC test for short term memory loss? :blink:

May I suggest that regular posters Ignore Lauras post please

I read that the rise was combined with a reform of his pension rights, such that the net effect of turning it down was about neutral with the rise offered plus changes to pension entitlement. Looks like a Treasury offered the rise as a stitch up to get a headline to discedit Merv, which he ducked.

I might be about to spark a riot, but I don't see what he is paid as excessive.... not when you see what Govt pays a huge number of souls a lot of money for jobs most of us would wonder why they exist.

By Angela Monaghan
Mr King rejected the near-40pc pay rise to £400,000 when he was reappointed as Bank of England Governor this summer, according to the Bank’s annual report.

What, he didn't want to be seen as greedy so accepted 39.9% instead?

Good old Merv, eh?

It's not like he's making billions on the side from his insider knowledge or anything, is it?

Is it?

Oh. You mean he's a banker just like the rest of them after all..but with a better line of patter..I see....

Amazing the govt is supposedly trying to fight wage inflation and the divs offer him a 40% pay rise for failing to do his job whilst the Police get a 1.9% con trick of a pay rise and everyone else has to try and make do with between 2.5% and 3.5%

It's a good job the sheeple are this stupid......

Oh. You mean he's a banker just like the rest of them after all..but with a better line of patter..I see....

Not really - he is a left-leaning ivory tower economist with an over-developed British arrogance and an under-developed instinct for practicality... as for his "patter" - don't get me started!

May I suggest that regular posters Ignore Lauras post please

Tried that one Bloo Loo

Twas twenty pages last time I remembered to look :(

Now if I had started a thread entitled:- "How do we terminate Blanchflower-the-Obscene?"

Would that have been ignored?

95k that too-well-connected other-agenda-serving piece of excrement receives for....for what?

I read that the rise was combined with a reform of his pension rights, such that the net effect of turning it down was about neutral with the rise offered plus changes to pension entitlement. Looks like a Treasury offered the rise as a stitch up to get a headline to discedit Merv, which he ducked.

I might be about to spark a riot, but I don't see what he is paid as excessive.... not when you see what Govt pays a huge number of souls a lot of money for jobs most of us would wonder why they exist.

Agree. When you consider that the top job in many local councils pays upwards of 300k a year. 100k plus is the norm for most mid-level management jobs in councils that consist of such jobs as "Ethnic relations officer," "Director of Lesbian Activities," etc..... The problem with goverment jobs is that there is no accountability for the outrageous sums that are spent (and wasted).

Agree. When you consider that the top job in many local councils pays upwards of 300k a year. 100k plus is the norm for most mid-level management jobs in councils that consist of such jobs as "Ethnic relations officer," "Director of Lesbian Activities," etc..... The problem with goverment jobs is that there is no accountability for the outrageous sums that are spent (and wasted).

No they dont its like £150k for the top job. There are plenty of interesting jobs.

there are only 29 jobs over 50k on jobsgopublic.com:

Test Welwyn Hatfield Council 29/07/2008 (13 days) about 4 hours ago

Group Manager SOULBURY EIP £62,214 - £65,... London Borough of Waltham Forest 24/07/2008 (8 days) about 22 hours ago

Project Manager £52,638 - £63,189 Surrey County Council 28/07/2008 (13 days) 3 days ago

Head of Neighbourhood Services £53,778 - £60,804 with poss... Reigate & Banstead Borough Council 20/08/2008 (about 1 month) 4 days ago

Programme Planner £52,638 - £63,189 Surrey County Council 20/07/2008 (5 days) 4 days ago

Head of Human Resources £66-£76k Oxford City Council 01/08/2008 (17 days) 5 days ago

Head of Development Control £52,854 - £56,451 plus esse... Charnwood Borough Council 01/08/2008 (17 days) 5 days ago

Climate Change and Sustainability Manager £52,638 - £63,189 Surrey County Council 08/08/2008 (24 days) 5 days ago

Head of Asset Management £60,000 + 10% of salary and... South Bedfordshire District Council 25/07/2008 (10 days) 6 days ago

Head of Shared Financial Services Circa £60,000 including lea... In Association with Hays 27/07/2008 (12 days) 6 days ago

Head of Shared Financial Services Circa £60,000 including lea... In Association with Hays 27/07/2008 (12 days) 6 days ago

Special Projects Manager £47,652 - £51,345 pa Lewisham Council 21/07/2008 (5 days) 6 days ago

Shared Service Manager £58,980 - £63,951 pa Lewisham Council 21/07/2008 (5 days) 6 days ago

Procurement Strategy Manager £58,980 - £63,951 pa Lewisham Council 21/07/2008 (5 days) 6 days ago

Head of Business Management and Service Support up to £92,000 pa Lewisham Council 21/07/2008 (5 days) 6 days ago

Assistant Director Strategic Commissioning £58,575 - £73,917 plus fina... Blackpool Council 07/08/2008 (23 days) 7 days ago

Head of Community Safety Services £61,026 - 67,347, plus esse... Harrow Council 01/08/2008 (17 days) 7 days ago

Assistant Director – Inclusion Grade: £61,814 - £81,994 pl... Medway Council 18/07/2008 (3 days) 11 days ago

Head of Technical Services £61,506 - £67,911 (pay awar... Wokingham Borough Council 17/07/2008 (1 day) 12 days ago

Manager - Information, Advice and Guidance (IAG) and NEET Reduction work NJC LP08(i), £57,495 to £62... London Borough of Havering 16/07/2008 (1 day) 12 days ago