House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Confounded

This Is A Boring Thread

I don't want to blow this out of proportion (hence title) but it makes me quite fearful this is heading the way I always feared it would. Nearly all banks in the Western Economy are vulnerable and with the media we have today they don't stand a chance.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bgKcHtq2YT4

edited spelling

Edited by Confounded

Santander is on the danger list just above Wamu, is that the Santander thats buying A&L ?

Edited by FortuneFTB

Did you note Santander was right at the bottom of that list?

Yup, Certainly did.... Is that the same Santander ?

Santander is on the danger list just above Wamu, is that the Santander thats buying A&L ?

Yep, they may have already factored in the purchase of A&L! :lol::huh::o

I can not believe anyone would seriously think A&L is worth anything, it is one huge liability as many of the banks are.

Something more than fishy about the A&L deal.

Yep, they may have already factored in the purchase of A&L! :lol::huh::o

I can not believe anyone would seriously think A&L is worth anything, it is one huge liability as many of the banks are.

Something more than fishy about the A&L deal.

That would be the Spanish fishermen taking what's left of British fish stock!

state interference worries me, but then if they go too far it is going to be as some say here and result in revolution. not everyone is waiting for inheritance, in fact most aren't.

i can see a very messy future due to the govt tinkering rather than letting the market sort itself.

reading on bbc earlier than not intervening in fm fm would have far worse consequences than if the fed did - right!

They're fine Spanish based, Spain's booming, oh hang on a minute.

Exactly, you would of thought they had enough to contend with without taking on A&L!

I don't want to blow this out of proportion (hence title) but it makes me quite fearful this is heading the way I always feared it would. Nearly all banks in the Western Economy are vulnerable and with the media we have today they don't stand a chance.

I'm confused. Are you saying the media will help to push the banks over?

I mainly think the media is rubbish but really hadn't considered how they can contribute to a bank collapse until now. Thinking aloud now, but I suppose it's the same old 'informing the public/creating panic' argument.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bgKcHtq2YT4

edited spelling

I was posting to this effect last year. Linked to the World Bank website that listed the level of bank debt around the world. It was my view then that the entire banking system was insolvent. Some said it was normal for banks to be "insolvent" in the sense that they always lend more than they have on their books. This has been going on since the late 18th Century and I think we may be seeing a 200 year old system unwind. Its not a cyclical bust this time, perhaps a structural bust.

If the bank is foreign owned, is it still covered by the treasury thing guarentee? I have some of my saving in A & L.

As long as they are registered with the FSA under the scheme, they can be a foreign bank and covered.

ICICI is covered and is an Indian bank for example

The only surprising thing about this whole thing is that it should have happened a lot quicker! I suppose it's like the boy and the dyke, apart from the fact that the whole dyke is crumbling.

"The next shoe to drop will be banks with exposure to builders loans"

I'd love to know who Barratt owe their 2 billion to.

I'm confused. Are you saying the media will help to push the banks over?

I mainly think the media is rubbish but really hadn't considered how they can contribute to a bank collapse until now. Thinking aloud now, but I suppose it's the same old 'informing the public/creating panic' argument.

When I say media I mean all the forms of media, it needs controlling if it is to prevent the panic I fear, however given the birth of the internet I see this as virtually uncontrollable atm.

No doubt in the future they will have control of the internet (the coming collapse may be used as the reason). I feel we will look back at the current time with sites like this unveiling the message given out by the more traditional and very well controlled media formats as a time of immense freedom.

I hope I am wrong about a lot of this but it is looking ominous.