House Price Crash Forum
Jonnybegood

Sky Tv Subs Going Up Again

I know its not unusual as Sky have been raising their prices every year since I can remember, but these latest increases are unusual as its virtually every package.

They usually increase the basic package as a way of getting you to buy the more expensive option, but now they have increased the price of the top package movies & sports.

Plus the set up costs are now £60, its either been free in the past or £15, with more competition then ever in the digital market and TVs having built in freeview or going through the Internet I thought this year Sky would of been a little more cautious with their price increases, and on top of that the news reports of the average family getting squeezed more than ever with increasing food and energy prices, I feel Sky are going to lose a great number of customers this year and Sky TV will once again become a luxury in the home.

Latest price increases for anyone wanting to have a look

http://www.sky.com/Assets/PDF/StaticFiles/4396810.pdf

I know its not unusual as Sky have been raising their prices every year since I can remember, but these latest increases are unusual as its virtually every package.

They usually increase the basic package as a way of getting you to buy the more expensive option, but now they have increased the price of the top package movies & sports.

Plus the set up costs are now £60, its either been free in the past or £15, with more competition then ever in the digital market and TVs having built in freeview or going through the Internet I thought this year Sky would of been a little more cautious with their price increases, and on top of that the news reports of the average family getting squeezed more than ever with increasing food and energy prices, I feel Sky are going to lose a great number of customers this year and Sky TV will once again become a luxury in the home.

Latest price increases for anyone wanting to have a look

http://www.sky.com/Assets/PDF/StaticFiles/4396810.pdf

why?

Poor people are silly, they splash their little cash on cigarettes, cheap booze, beeting and sky.

That's why they stay poor.

They'll keep paying their skybox, but the last one won't go to Uni

why?

Poor people are silly, they splash their little cash on cigarettes, cheap booze, beeting and sky.

That's why they stay poor.

They'll keep paying their skybox, but the last one won't go to Uni

I agree with what you say except for the cheap booze, after all cheap booze is exactly that.

<<-- edit you forgot to add mobile phone subs -->>

Edited by slurms mackenzie

Can't believe people pay for it.

As Ricky Gervais says, the only two channels worth watching are Discovery and History. So you end up watching programs about either Sharks or Nazi's.

For the one year we had cable, we ended up labelling History as 'The Hitler Channel'

that just about says it all.

Still waiting for the 'Nazi shark channel'

Now its freeview for me, and freesat HD eventually, because theres nothing on Sky you can't bittorrent a few days later anyway.

Can't believe people pay for it.

As Ricky Gervais says, the only two channels worth watching are Discovery and History. So you end up watching programs about either Sharks or Nazi's.

For the one year we had cable, we ended up labelling History as 'The Hitler Channel'

that just about says it all.

Now its freeview for me, and freesat HD eventually, because theres nothing on Sky you can't bittorrent a few days later anyway.

lol yep, sky is gone long live the interweb.

lol yep, sky is gone long live the interweb.

Yeah, agree Sky's days are numbered, the majority of the stuff on there is repeated and can be obtained for free on the internet.

£47 for the top package and Sky have lost many of the exclusive rights they used to have such as England home internationals and premiership matches, boxing and the latest films will set you back an extra £3 to £15 per film / event.

As mentioned the council estates will keep them in business for now, but many families who have had Sky for a number of years and just paid DD each month to keep the kids happy will start to do the maths when they see nearly £50 a month coming out of the account for an extra 40 premium channels over what they can get via their freeview tv or using a Sky free to air box and dish.

Mobile phone & Broadband deals seem to be cheaper than ever, Sky seems to be more expensive than ever.

Glad I pulled the plug 5 years, leaving with a brand new box and dish which I now use to receive FTA channels.

Thanks Sky

Edited by Jonnybegood

£47 :o:o:o

47 x12 mths x 50 yrs = £28,200 invested and compounded would give quite a decent retirement nest egg.

Sky Tv = Rupert Murdoch and offspring...I am dismayed to learn that any self respecting HPCer would be contributing to this family.

A few years ago I e-mailed Adam Heart Davis and suggested the title of his next series:

What the Nazis did for us.

Petrochemicals/ballistics/rockets.

his agent e-mailed back saying Adam didn't find the suggestion funny. :(

Yeah, agree Sky's days are numbered, the majority of the stuff on there is repeated and can be obtained for free on the internet.

One thing that can't be taken away from Sky is just how ruddy good the hardware/software combo is of their Sky+ units is.

I say this as someone who's not shy to torrent the odd program that I missed or use the the iPlayer and I've previously owned a Topfield HDD Freeview box that does twin tuner and pseudo series link action like Sky+ with loads of geeky options to upgrade the software and install user supplied enhancements.

From a ease of use and Don't Make Me Think angle Sky+ wins by miles.

But yes it is a luxury and one that's getting more expensive with no perceivable increase in value. We're due out of contract soon and will then undoubtedly drop back out into freeview only (we currently pay the minimum possible so I get Sky 1)

A few years ago I e-mailed Adam Heart Davis and suggested the title of his next series:

I love it!! Sounds like something from Charlie Brooker of TV Go Home fame!

I love it!! Sounds like something from Charlie Brooker of TV Go Home fame!

Let's see.... large scale liquid rockets, helicopters, hi-fidelity audio tape, modern sewage treatment works, synthetic fuels, the ejection seat, the inflatable sex doll, and of course racially motivated genocide. No wait, I think the last one may have been done before.... <_<

Edited by vlad the impaler

OMG,

The Topfield is a bit of a tweaker's box though from what I've read. Series link aside I've found two years of having a Humax pretty good and sufficient in feature, certainly very easy to use and reliable.

Im seriously thinking of cancelling mine as im a sports fan yet Setanta now have a lot of the footy and no reduction in the subscription price. My local team has been premoted to the conference might go and support them instead

Ditched the premium package at the end of the footy season and don't intend to re-subscribe.

The main reason for this is I need an excuse to go to the pub more often. ;)

That fooker did the adverts for the INLAND REVENUE, yet turned down your suggestion...Wait utill the work dries up and be sure to ask for royalties, he clearly has no soul, Being unemployed and mortgaged out your **** doesn't have to be taxing, although if you're self employeed is can be very confusing.

Get yourself a Technomate 6900 HD COMBO, combined with motorised dish, regulary updated you can get around 5,000 channels from 15+ satellites (Excluding Sky) completely Gratis. ;) Many films and Sport, FREE.