House Price Crash Forum
markinspain

Will There Be Any Shops Left On The High Street Next Year?

Estate Agents - I don't think so!

Banks - All merging into the big four.

Pubs - Smoking ban has killed most of them.

Phone Shops - Will be hit by a lack of discretionary spending.

Coffee Shops - As above.

Poncy clothes shops - As above.

Food Shops - All gone to out of town retail parks.

Electrical Shops - As above.

So what else is there?

Estate Agents - I don't think so!

Banks - All merging into the big four.

Pubs - Smoking ban has killed most of them.

Phone Shops - Will be hit by a lack of discretionary spending.

Coffee Shops - As above.

Poncy clothes shops - As above.

Food Shops - All gone to out of town retail parks.

Electrical Shops - As above.

So what else is there?

Brothels - as increasing numbers of families put their wives and daughters on the game to make ends meet?

Waterstones?

HMV - online sale killing it, same with Zavvi/Virgin

Games Workshop

Oxfam - booming trading - same with all chariety shops i'd imagine, but then a problem with not enough stock as people are holdingon to thnigs longer/till they brake/wear out

Tescos Express and all the little convienence stores like it

Game - will always survive, dont know why or how but they do

Maplins

I think bookshops will stick around, though maybe more second hand shops than new shops. I rarely buy new books anymore as I can just trade in my old ones for a cheap read.

I'm not sure about GAME, again it's good for second hand games, but i'd never buy new stuff from there as it's always cheaper online. Plus their staff are really arrogant and annoying.

We'll definitely see more pound shops (as if we needed any more of them) and maybe some more Lidl and Aldi stores.

It'll be nice to see the EAs go as they seem to make up 50% of any small high street these days and i'm sick of seeing houses with silly price tags attached every time I walk down the street.

Waterstones?

HMV - online sale killing it, same with Zavvi/Virgin

Games Workshop

Oxfam - booming trading - same with all chariety shops i'd imagine, but then a problem with not enough stock as people are holdingon to thnigs longer/till they brake/wear out

Tescos Express and all the little convienence stores like it

Game - will always survive, dont know why or how but they do

Maplins

HMV recently was selling a CD I was after for £15.99. Amazon had it for £4.30.

I think HMV needs to get real about its high street prices.

I think Gillingham high street sets the bar.

Lots of charity shops, a few fruit machine arcades and betting shops.

One of the most depresssing high streets in the country. In the 80s it had all the well known names. That was before the dockyard was closed - the biggest emplyer in Gillingham now is the hospital, followed by the job centre, buses, Somerfields, Lidl then McDonalds.

High streets will fill up with charity shops, discount retailers, "Pound Stores", and so on. The days of the average high street having 43 mobile phone accessories shops and 8734 estate agents are gone for good.

Aberdeen has currently employed the following configuration

Fast food joint, Pub, restaurant, betting shop...repeated down both sides on Union street.

Other than that, numerous shopping centres which struggle to keep all units occupied so instead aberdeen council builds more shopping units including out of town ones which have then stayed empty for years...

The brains behind this is genius!!!

One of the most depresssing high streets in the country. In the 80s it had all the well known names. That was before the dockyard was closed - the biggest emplyer in Gillingham now is the hospital, followed by the job centre, buses, Somerfields, Lidl then McDonalds.

You forgot all the takeaway shops, there is loads....... but Gillingham high st does now have a newlook and a rileys poolhall, its hardly regeneration but it may just pull it out from last place :lol:

Charity and second-hand/junk/surplus shops will definitely be making a come-back. Boom-time rents and designer-expectations chased many of them away, but that's set to change just as demand picks up at that end of the market.

Charity and second-hand/junk/surplus shops will definitely be making a come-back. Boom-time rents and designer-expectations chased many of them away, but that's set to change just as demand picks up at that end of the market.

The thing with charity and second hand shops is that they need stock from somewhere. At the moment that comes from the fact that people replace stuff every few years regardless of whether it needs replacing. Since disposal costs money, the cheapest way to dump stuff is in a charity shop. Even a days van rental is cheaper than council disposal fees, and some charity shops collect. Added advantage of looking good as you've 'donated to charity'.

If everyone starts buying from these places, but no-one gives stuff away, where is all the stock going to come from?

Guest Bart of Darkness

Cash converters

Pawn shops

Poundland/Poundstretchers

Charity shops

Arcade type places

I don't think the UK high street is quite finished but as Thucydides says, places like HMV need to rethink their approach. The only thing I've bought from them in a year was some gift vouchers at Christmas.

There will still be shops...don't worry. There will even still be some estate agents. But it looks like there'll be quite a lot of vacant shops gathering junk mail on the floor too.

If everyone starts buying from these places, but no-one gives stuff away, where is all the stock going to come from?

weimarselloff.jpg

Ebay is a new factor, but ebay = postage costs and risk, while local second-hand shop = cash in hand immediately.

Charity shops for the few remaining rich donors who can't be bothered with the small amounts involved, and who want to feel good about contributing something.

edit: it's the faces and demeanours in the picture that get me. These people are well-fed and well-dressed, still dignified even. They have recently been prosperous but now they're reduced to selling their bits and pieces.

Edited by huw

Also boot sales. I have noticed some of the "nicer" families from school selling their old bits and pieces at boot sales. Why give to a charity shop when someone else will buy all your old tat at a boot sale. Anything better than tat gets ebayed

I hope the likes of Stabucks and Costa Coffee get anhialated in the downturn. Not being able to get from A to B without the need to be carrying a cup of coffee is a an American fad that I can't wait to see the back of, quite frankly.

</rant>

I hope the likes of Stabucks and Costa Coffee get anhialated in the downturn. Not being able to get from A to B without the need to be carrying a cup of coffee is a an American fad that I can't wait to see the back of, quite frankly.

</rant>

Id second this, the only good live music venue in my immediate area ( and had been for many many years) was closed down in order to make room for a Starbucks, I admit it probably was need in the area as the only other coffee shop was 300 yards away (a Costa Coffee (Costaloty For Notaloty) now thankfully closed down) :blink: , I suppose the staff from the 12 competing estate agents on the same high street needed somwhere to buy lunch. :blink:

Id second this, the only good live music venue in my immediate area ( and had been for many many years) was closed down in order to make room for a Starbucks, I admit it probably was need in the area as the only other coffee shop was 300 yards away (a Costa Coffee (Costaloty For Notaloty) now thankfully closed down) :blink: , I suppose the staff from the 12 competing estate agents on the same high street needed somwhere to buy lunch. :blink:

Are so many people genuinely incapable of buttering two rounds of bread, sticking some ham and cheese between them and slicing them in half? Ditto putting a spoonful of coffee into a mug and adding hot water? Truly I don't understand these people.