House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
kat and andy

Council Tax

hi all, i have friends who have rented their place form a farmer, and their council tax is close to £2000 a month. some one mentioned that it sounds like they might be paying the actual farmers council tax as well, is this possible as i think the farmer lives more or less on his land as well as he had the 2 houses his and one near the barns, (assuming the second house would have usually been rented to farm hands) and even tho is is farm land with a view this council tax price per months seems rather steep. they are also playing around £500 rent a month, and the house needs work, maybe even windows replaced as they are still wooden and not pvc. they dont pay water as heir water is suplied from a water well somewhere on the property, im not sure exactly what work needs to be done but they have said that they have told him, and the estate agents they are under that these things needs doing and he still hasnt done them, the one thing that needs doing and has needed it for nearly a year is the front door is two panels of glass, and druing a storm they lost the bottom panel of glass, and it is now only boarded up, up until about 2 months ago there was just a black bag taped over the hole, and they cant see why they should pay to fix it whne they are paying rent.

any suggestions please

hi all, i have friends who have rented their place form a farmer, and their council tax is close to £2000 a month. some one mentioned that it sounds like they might be paying the actual farmers council tax as well, is this possible as i think the farmer lives more or less on his land as well as he had the 2 houses his and one near the barns, (assuming the second house would have usually been rented to farm hands) and even tho is is farm land with a view this council tax price per months seems rather steep. they are also playing around £500 rent a month, and the house needs work, maybe even windows replaced as they are still wooden and not pvc. they dont pay water as heir water is suplied from a water well somewhere on the property, im not sure exactly what work needs to be done but they have said that they have told him, and the estate agents they are under that these things needs doing and he still hasnt done them, the one thing that needs doing and has needed it for nearly a year is the front door is two panels of glass, and druing a storm they lost the bottom panel of glass, and it is now only boarded up, up until about 2 months ago there was just a black bag taped over the hole, and they cant see why they should pay to fix it whne they are paying rent.

any suggestions please

sounds like there council tax is excesive if they pay £500 pm rent, they need to apply to the local council for a council tax review, my parents did and found their house was graded far to high (they just assumed every house was the same in the area) and got 12 years worth of back tax.

My guess is the council have assumed all the properties are the same and given them the same rating or infact they are paying the farmers tax. £2000 is the top rate for most councils

They must appeal, if the condition of the house is poor they should be on a band B or C which is closer to £1000 py

yes i did mean per month, cant remember the exact amount but i know its close to that

kat

thats not council tax then.... the most anybody pays in council tax is a band G in somewhere where half the population don't pay like Glasgow and that is going to be no more than £3000 per year

You must have got your wires cross or they are are being asked to pay some kind of business rates, either way it is too much, tell them to speak to the council