House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ajay

Polish Shops Closing

I Live in North London, and two years ago started to notice Polish immigrants opening shops, some to sell food to other poles and some to sell to everybody.

I have now started to notice large numbers of them of them have closed.

Perhaps the begining of a depression is not the best time to start a business.

Edited by goldman

Yes Also, I wonder if they are probably suffering from less Poles around (from what I read on here) and competition from new Polish sections of Tesco and Asda etc. I don't suppose the Brits and african residents of London shop in Polish shops much or at all, so once the Poles go they would be as popular as a Kosher restaurant in downtown Karachi

Yes Also, I wonder if they are probably suffering from less Poles around (from what I read on here) and competition from new Polish sections of Tesco and Asda etc. I don't suppose the Brits and african residents of London shop in Polish shops much or at all, so once the Poles go they would be as popular as a Kosher restaurant in downtown Karachi

Strangely the restaurants that supply kosher and karachi-style foods seem to be doing ok, some foods do not have an international flavour.

Edited by goldman

Little known factoid. Kosher food is halal, but halal food isn't kosher. (Kosher has stricter laws than halal, but covers all halal laws, i.e. halal is a subset of kosher) So a kosher restaurant in Karachi might not do too badly...

I Live in North London, and two years ago started to notice Polish immigrants opening shops, some to sell food to other poles and some to sell to everybody.

I have now started to notice large numbers of them of them have closed.

Perhaps the begining of a depression is not the best time to start a business.

My God, have you seen the polski prices, talk about ripping off their own kind!!!

3 quid for a loaf of bread..just normal white bread...disgusting.

Little known factoid. Kosher food is halal, but halal food isn't kosher. (Kosher has stricter laws than halal, but covers all halal laws, i.e. halal is a subset of kosher) So a kosher restaurant in Karachi might not do too badly...

In an Only Fools and Horses episode Delboy recounted the tale a fight involving Monkey Harris over whether or not there is a salt-beef bar in Jeddah.....

the polish social club in kemp town closed down late last year, and alot of those polish babes that used to walk around seem to be missing this year. I guess that they figured out that they were only here to do the jobs that no one else wanted to do, and so thought they'd be better off going back home.

Guest KingCharles1st

There could also be some truth in the fact that some of the people who have started business over the last few years are now having to pay their first proper tax bills-

so its BBYYEEEEEEEEEEEE

the polish social club in kemp town closed down late last year, and alot of those polish babes that used to walk around seem to be missing this year. I guess that they figured out that they were only here to do the jobs that no one else wanted to do, and so thought they'd be better off going back home.

..and this is the reason you have started to frequent this site.

I don't think it is because the Poles are going home but because the likes of Tesco now sell loads of Polish stuff. A new Tesco Express opened by me a couple of weeks ago, I popped in to have a look and I passed an aisle that was choc full of Polish food pastes, chocolates, biscuits, tinned things, the obligatory sauerkraut (which is made from miserable germans liquidised!), cucumbers, beer, etc, etc.

I picked up a jar of Krakus cucumbers and have since bought a couple more jars - gherkins to you :)

My God, have you seen the polski prices, talk about ripping off their own kind!!!

3 quid for a loaf of bread..just normal white bread...disgusting.

You might think differently if you had tasted it. I haven't had Polish bread for many years now but it did taste wonderful. None of that doughie stuff that passes as bread in this country. Never had white Polish bread though - it was always black bread. That, a couple of slices of Polish salami between two slices of bread and a sliced Krakus cucumber on top - delicious. Add your own branston as required.

Hmm, I am having a Homer moment.

You might think differently if you had tasted it. I haven't had Polish bread for many years now but it did taste wonderful. None of that doughie stuff that passes as bread in this country. Never had white Polish bread though - it was always black bread. That, a couple of slices of Polish salami between two slices of bread and a sliced Krakus cucumber on top - delicious. Add your own branston as required.

Hmm, I am having a Homer moment.

Taste it - I'd have to sell my body to get the money before I could even think of buying it. :lol:

Wow, all that for £9.99, or £1.99 from the tesco polski shelves.

Mmmm......have another 'moment'.

When my mum used to make bread way back when it was perfect, not like the modern garbage, but it didn't cost the earth.

IMO Polish shops are so overpriced they should be outlawed.

I picked up a jar of Krakus cucumbers and have since bought a couple more jars - gherkins to you :)

I bought some Polish fillet stake last week....first time ive had spam in years, theres a credit crunch dont you know.

:-)

I bought some Polish fillet stake last week....first time ive had spam in years, theres a credit crunch dont you know.

:-)

Was it that hand-massaged Japanese spam or the expensive stuff that comes with an egg in the middle?

Was it that hand-massaged Japanese spam or the expensive stuff that comes with an egg in the middle?

Neither, i think it was made from the left overs from the offal factory :-)

I work through the night in a "well known supermarket" , that is open 24 hours . We had lots of Poles , and other East Europeans working with us . At one point , I reckon about 40% of the night shift were Poles . One customer even came up to me ,and said , slowly and loudly "Do speak English" . I told her I "get by" :lol: . In our canteen , all you could hear was foriegn voices .

Just recently ,I would say in the last few months , there seems to be fewer and fewer . I am guessing that the figure has gone down to about 10% of the night shift . I don't know if they have gone back , or just have other jobs in this country . I know that we don't have as many as we did tho .

Maybe they realise that it's not the land of "milk and honey" that they thought it was !!

. One customer even came up to me ,and said , slowly and loudly "Do speak English" . I told her I "get by" :lol:

Sadly there's loads of british people who can barely speak. Init. Like whatever.

Add to that the doubling of the Zloty against the GBP and they are all heading back in droves. Sadly.

I was back in Britain for a few days recently for the first time in a year, and the Polish shop near my parents' house has closed down after a year or so in business; in fact, about 2/3 of the shops in the same street have closed, including some that had been there for decades. In the 70s and 80s when I lived there I don't remember a single empty shop on that street.

I work in a small town in North East England. The only Polish shop has closed recently and the only Polish pupil at our school is leaving to 'go home'. This may or may not be related to the fact that all housing development in the area has suddenly stopped.