House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Austin Allegro

Btl Actress In Sunday Times: Oh Dear...

Today's Sunday Times VERY bearish - non-stop gloom and doom.

But check out the Fame and Fortune article about actress Joanna Page from TV's Gavin and Stacey.

She has:

A four bed house in Dulwich

A new build property in Crystal Palace

Another one near the Olympic site

A terraced house on Lordship Lane

Two apartments in Swansea (which haven't been built yet :lol: )

A bungalow in Swansea ('this hasn't done so well and we're in the process of selling' :lol: )

'a place in an up and coming ski resort in Bulgaria'

And they've 'just got involved in a development in Brazil'

She comes out with the classic 'we usually buy in areas where there's going to be lots of development so hopefully they will weather the downturn...rental are also going up...I know there are some oversupply issues, but again, it's a long term investment...I know things are difficult now but under normal circumstances property is a good way to beat the effects of inflation'.

And she describes herself as a saver rather than a spender!!

She says her salary last year was 'a good six figures' but even so, she must be very heavily geared with all this lot....yet oddly, she describes the stuff in addition to the family home as being 'worth about £1m' which seems a bizarrely low estimate from someone who's obviously a massive ramper.

What is it about these tellie types and their bloody BTLs????

I know her - she's a very pleasant girl, but too young to remember the carnage of the last crash and not really savvy enough to realise what's going on now...

The thing with actors is that they're desperate to find some regular income & stability in their lives to counter the precarious nature of their profession - that often means when you get a good job, you pile your lump sum earnings into property. She's been ill-advised. I have spoken to many others (actors) who've done the same and who are now bricking it.

ffs little known actress in a shit show & she earns over 100K?

'tis a good show IMHO, no idea if her fee represents fair value. Her/their 'investments' are toast for the most part though...this greed 'mind fukc' were property was concerned is a real sickness though. Can't be replicated again without easy credit so all these greed merchants either have to sell (at a loss), or keep it for their...ahem..."long term" which as an horizon is getting further and further away given that most BTL mortgages were IO...

She played the naked body double with Martin Freeman from The Office in the film Love Actually.

Oh well, if everything else goes tits up at least she has some assets she can sell! :lol:

'tis a good show IMHO, no idea if her fee represents fair value. Her/their 'investments' are toast for the most part though...this greed 'mind fukc' were property was concerned is a real sickness though. Can't be replicated again without easy credit so all these greed merchants either have to sell (at a loss), or keep it for their...ahem..."long term" which as an horizon is getting further and further away given that most BTL mortgages were IO...

But another landlord who says rents are going up.

Against a backdrop of unmitigated doom and gloom, how are they getting away with putting rents up?

Sounds like everything she's done is based on pre-credit crunch money.

Tee-hee.

A bungalow in Swansea ('this hasn't done so well and we're in the process of selling' :lol: )

Swansea is in 'meltdown' at the moment. :lol::lol::lol:

.... and so are the snows in that Bulgarian resort :lol::lol::lol::lol:

But another landlord who says rents are going up.

Against a backdrop of unmitigated doom and gloom, how are they getting away with putting rents up?

Sounds like everything she's done is based on pre-credit crunch money.

Tee-hee.

Asking rental prices are going up, they're just prices 'in the window' though, the vacancy rate is probably rocketing too. Lots of BTL players are playing the denial card to the bitter end, believing the hype re supply and demand they're putting rents up deluding themselves. An old HPC 'mantra' back in the early days still apllies; "If you can't afford to buy, why would you want to pay the landlord's BTL mortgage"? With sales falling by nearly half vis a vis last year there's no evidence that the surplus rental stock is being taken up by sellers wanting to cash out and stay out the property game...

Another point, mobility kinda gets lost in a recession, (which we're now in) no folk moving from job to job/town to town in vast numbers....only folk seeking work will be 'getting on their bike', they don't typically pay the landlords expensive BTL mortgage...

A four bed house in Dulwich

A new build property in Crystal Palace

Another one near the Olympic site

A terraced house on Lordship Lane

And they've 'just got involved in a development in Brazil'

This is one to watch.

Based on this, errrrmmmm, "portfolio", she may we be in serious financial trouble.

Two apartments is Swansea? I know the ones, and they will crash and burn.

A place in Bulgaria?? WTF!

ffs little known actress in a shit show & she earns over 100K?

Have you watched the show beacuse it is quality anyway she has a good pedigree to become insolvent

Yes. My mother used to work for a bank and is now with a finance company, and my dad works in a garage.

She comes out with the classic 'we usually buy in areas where there's going to be lots of development so hopefully they will weather the downturn...rental are also going up...I know there are some oversupply issues, but again, it's a long term investment...

Landlord B()LLSHIT ALERT!!! ALERT!

If there are some "oversupply" issues then HOW can rents be going up? This is about the eighth time in the last week that a VI has stated that rents are going up AT THE SAME TIME as supply is going up. THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE>

END OF ALERT!!!

VP

'we usually buy in areas where there's going to be lots of development so hopefully they will weather the downturn.
..rental are also going up..
.I know there are some oversupply issues, but again, it's a long term investment..
.I know things are difficult now but under normal circumstances property is a good way to beat the effects of inflation'.

Well she can't be Rada trained, they never remember their lines. I suspect she is Naea trained.

Based on this, errrrmmmm, "portfolio", she may we be in serious financial trouble.

I believe the technical term is '******ed'.

Asking rental prices are going up, they're just prices 'in the window' though, the vacancy rate is probably rocketing too. Lots of BTL players are playing the denial card to the bitter end, believing the hype re supply and demand they're putting rents up deluding themselves. An old HPC 'mantra' back in the early days still apllies; "If you can't afford to buy, why would you want to pay the landlord's BTL mortgage"? With sales falling by nearly half vis a vis last year there's no evidence that the surplus rental stock is being taken up by sellers wanting to cash out and stay out the property game...

Another point, mobility kinda gets lost in a recession, (which we're now in) no folk moving from job to job/town to town in vast numbers....only folk seeking work will be 'getting on their bike', they don't typically pay the landlords expensive BTL mortgage...

Yes, and I cant see the logic of some home movers saying they will rent AND move.

This means changing to a BTL for the property they cant sell, AND getting another mortgage. They then have two lot of falling equity and the risk of voids, repairs and agents fees.

Ive seen some of these locally, all nice houses but the rental price is HUGE. Course, they stay on rightmove for months.

Landlord B()LLSHIT ALERT!!! ALERT!

If there are some "oversupply" issues then HOW can rents be going up? This is about the eighth time in the last week that a VI has stated that rents are going up AT THE SAME TIME as supply is going up. THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE>

END OF ALERT!!!

VP

My rent came down recently, and to fully exploit my LL I explained that he would need to pay the council tax or I move in a month (That's 112 quid a month), as there are four empty flats in our block, all vacated in the last 6 weeks..and more to come.....

He agreed. He's lucky to have us, we pay on time and are no hassle, though I'll wait another couple of months, and if the economy go FPs way (I pray it does), I'll go for a bigger reduction or move.

Clearly, rents only go up.

I caught the article as well, was not as ontheball as Mr Allegro (the OP). I think the full quote is worth preserving. In Ms Pages own words, then;

"Apart from the Dulwich house, we have a number of buy-to-let properties worth about £1m in total. We usually buy in areas where there’s going to be lots of development so hopefully they will weather the downturn more than some other areas. Rentals are also going up — they cover the mortgages and we also have some money on top of that.

We have a new-build property in Crystal Palace which we bought two years ago and another one near the Olympic site which we bought about nine months ago. We also have an old terraced house on Lordship Lane in southeast London which is close to the new East London line extension.

We also have two apartments in Swansea which haven’t been built yet. They’re part of a new tower complex called Meridian Quay in the city centre. We also have a little bungalow in Swansea which we’ve been doing up.

This hasn’t done so well and we’re in the process of selling.

Outside Britain, we have a place in an up-and-coming ski resort, Bansko in Bulgaria.

We bought that about a year and a half ago and it’s not yet complete. I know there are some oversupply issues, but again, it’s a long-term investment.

Finally, we’ve just got involved in a development in Bahia in Brazil. It’s one of these resorts with a golf course and it’s right on the beach.

We were told about it by a friend who’s an estate agent. The health club owner David Lloyd bought up half the complex recently so that increased prices. "

Love the last sentence, too. And the whole extract almost perfectly encapsulates the idiot amateur investor...

Edited by dryrot

Joanna Page: "We set aside 30% of any income we make straight into the savings to pay for tax"
"How much did you earn last year? - A good six figures"

Er....does she need to pay the higher tax rate? I'd put away at least 40% for the tax man....I could be wrong? Or will the interest make it to 40%? (but some how doubt it).

Edit: Rubbishy grammar

Edited by SickofRenting