House Price Crash Forum

I've just come back after three weeks in France. I didn't read the papers while I was away so the return has been pretty shocking. But while I was away I did notice that despite all the gloom France seems pretty unaffected. They have inflation and retail is slowing but the general feeling is that other parts of the economy are doing very well. For one agriculture is booming because of soaring food prices and as France is a Net food exporter they are benefiting from this.

More importantly the French people are still very happy and content and this is reflected in every day life and the way in which local authorities provide ample amenities for families and sport. Coming back to the UK seems to be grey the moment I drove off the ferry in Portsmouth. This place is bloody grim, I'm sorry but it really is. We are worse off in many ways and our standard of living is way below our European neighbours. We might have more electronics but we certainly don't eat as well or have as much free time.

If Britain doesn't change soon I fear that we will become almost third world.

I've just come back after three weeks in France. I didn't read the papers while I was away so the return has been pretty shocking. But while I was away I did notice that despite all the gloom France seems pretty unaffected. They have inflation and retail is slowing but the general feeling is that other parts of the economy are doing very well. For one agriculture is booming because of soaring food prices and as France is a Net food exporter they are benefiting from this.

More importantly the French people are still very happy and content and this is reflected in every day life and the way in which local authorities provide ample amenities for families and sport. Coming back to the UK seems to be grey the moment I drove off the ferry in Portsmouth. This place is bloody grim, I'm sorry but it really is. We are worse off in many ways and our standard of living is way below our European neighbours. We might have more electronics but we certainly don't eat as well or have as much free time.

Dubsie

How are things looking in the central heating business? Care to report from the frontline?

KB

Guest happy?

Yeh, but that's the M275 for you.

Moribund Europe doing better than the UK- with their interventionist State economys - I don`t think so -and if the French are so happy why does the country seem to be on permanent strike ? :ph34r:

Edited by Wires 74

For one agriculture is booming because of soaring food prices and as France is a Net food exporter they are benefiting from this.

What you really mean to say is the French farmers are raking in £bns from other countries in the EU (like er.. the UK who contribute a net £3bn to foreign farmers).

Its easy to make money when you are being subsidised by the competition.

As much as I hate to say it: the French economy is relatively well run, and based on firm principles that they refuse to budge on.

We would do well to take a leaf out of their book.

Dubsie

How are things looking in the central heating business? Care to report from the frontline?

KB

I'm very busy but in general the outlook is very grim. You have to remember that most of my work is responsive work so there really isn't much choice whether the work is done or not. Those that are suffering are those in the installation and new build areas, people are not spending money unless they have to.

I really feel that what we are seeing is just the start of probably the biggest recession since the 1940s, how we come out of it will be determined by the decisions being made by Brown now.

Moribund Europe doing better than the UK- with their interventionist State economys - I don`t think so -and if the French are so happy why does the country seem to be on permanent strike ? :ph34r:

I'm only telling you what I have experienced and what people have told me over the last 3 weeks. French property is not crashing and in fact in many areas it is still rising at it's normal very slow pace.

It's because after the incident with John Law, the French became wary of dour Scotsmen boosting the money supply, getting them to invest their money in unsustainable investments, then abandoning them when it all turned to sh!t. Unfortunately we still have this lesson to learn!

Edited by Sinking Feeling

I'm very busy but in general the outlook is very grim. You have to remember that most of my work is responsive work so there really isn't much choice whether the work is done or not. Those that are suffering are those in the installation and new build areas, people are not spending money unless they have to.

I really feel that what we are seeing is just the start of probably the biggest recession since the 1940s, how we come out of it will be determined by the decisions being made by Brown now.

A degree of safety in that type of work, the risk is that the new build contract workers shift over to day to day jobbing/repair and create a glut of supply, not as easy as it first sounds though you need to be a lot more with it to organize daily routine/equipment/materials and be efficient to make money at it.

As for France - a fraction of the personal debt and I believe their productivity has been doing rather well in comparison with the UK and they haven;t relied on going on a spending binge to keep a artificial boom going - slow and steady and keeping as much of the industrial infrastructure in place, bravo, very sensible.

Edited by OnlyMe

Hi

I live in France and have enjoyed 4 years of the French way of life ~ stunning locations, excellent food, a family-orientated culture, little crime etc. But life here is not perfect ~ it can be slow to get things done & the French are not generally entreprenerial. And then there's the stikes and French drivers!

I currently have my house up for sale and though the market has not crashed it is certainly very sluggish. Prices are not dropping but the number of interested buyers has fallen particularly since the £/Euro exchange has altered.

But from here the UK "looks" very gloomy ~ every day the economic & social news seems to be full of woe. Crime in particular seems to be an issue with the number of knife incidents growing.

But the good news is the demise of the housing market and if some of the predictions are correct some of us could be buying next year at prices from 10% - 20% lower than they are now.

So ~ come on ~ don't be so glum!

It's because after the incident with John Law, the French became wary of dour Scotsmen boosting the money supply, getting them to invest their money in unsustainable investments, then abandoning them when it all turned to sh!t. Unfortunately we still have this lesson to learn!

Long memories those Frenchies!

edit:now I think about it, wasn't Law a bit of dandy?

Edited by tbatst2000

According to Mr. Paulson, 'other parts of the world are at different stages of the cycle' :lol: Check this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm...C-mostviewedbox and this http://www.expatica.com/nl/articles/news/H...-collapses.html. The ECB has just increased euro interest rates :lol:

Edit: clarity

Edited by blackbear

A degree of safety in that type of work, the risk is that the new build contract workers shift over to day to day jobbing/repair and create a glut of supply, not as easy as it first sounds though you need to be a lot more with it to organize daily routine/equipment/materials and be efficient to make money at it.

As for France - a fraction of the personal debt and I believe their productivity has been doing rather well in comparison with the UK and they haven;t relied on going on a spending binge to keep a artificial boom going - slow and steady and keeping as much of the industrial infrastructure in place, bravo, very sensible.

Responsive maintenance means working with all sorts of systems new and old so you need to know your stuff. Most customers simply won't buy "You need a new boiler mate at the moment" and have to fix and get on your way. Often means stocking a lot of kit which can be very costly. I would hate to guess the value of the contents of my van / stores. It also means doing business with the smaller more traditional merchants who will stock parts such as Fordham which the big merchants refuse to sell.

I fear that this recession will end the careers of many apprentice trades people as firms shed jobs, which the country desperately needs to fill the skills shortage.

The "tourist interface" to a country always looks rosier than the reality. I'm sure a Parisian sink estate is equally depressing and dangerous as the UK equivalent. The recent rioting in France serves to illustrate the growing worldwide dissatisfaction, particularly amongst the young.

..... the UK seems to be grey the moment I drove off the ferry in Portsmouth.

Entering the UK via Portsmouth would make anyone want to turn back and get back on the Ferry :-)

:lol:

I'm sure a Parisian sink estate is equally depressing and dangerous as the UK equivalent.

If anything, more so. Google for "Banlieue & riot" for examples.

Hi

I live in France and have enjoyed 4 years of the French way of life ~ stunning locations, excellent food, a family-orientated culture, little crime etc. But life here is not perfect ~ it can be slow to get things done & the French are not generally entreprenerial. And then there's the stikes and French drivers!

I currently have my house up for sale and though the market has not crashed it is certainly very sluggish. Prices are not dropping but the number of interested buyers has fallen particularly since the £/Euro exchange has altered.

But from here the UK "looks" very gloomy ~ every day the economic & social news seems to be full of woe. Crime in particular seems to be an issue with the number of knife incidents growing.

But the good news is the demise of the housing market and if some of the predictions are correct some of us could be buying next year at prices from 10% - 20% lower than they are now.

So ~ come on ~ don't be so glum!

the French are not generally entreprenerial Maybe not, but at least they have a word for it. :lol:

...or maybe the french are so happy because they strike so much?

Nothing wrong with striking. A decision not taken easily. The workers in this country used to strike sometimes. Now we roll over and have our tummies tickled.