House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AvidFan

I've Wanted To Ask This For A While

To what extend to people think that the rapid increase in knife attacks relates to an increasing sense of desperation amongst young people for some or all of the following reasons:

1. No ability whatsoever to afford a house, i.e. the lifestyle that they are force-fed in music and on TV?

2. An increase in the “wealth gap” between the haves and have-nots?

3. A lack of sense of direction, either because of overwhelming despair or because conditions in the UK have been benign for so long, there’s a sense of boredom and malaise?

4. A reaction to the pressure on young people to achieve, with those that fall between the cracks simply lashing out to equal up the score?

5. Association with knife and gun culture in popular culture, clearly the wrong message to be sending out.

I've felt for a long time that the world is lacking a youth culture that was all involving but mostly harmless. Today we have the opposite - something uninventive but devastating - taking someone else's life.

Do we need the punk era back, or something similar, as an outlet for all the frustration before it's too late?

To what extend to people think that the rapid increase in knife attacks relates to an increasing sense of desperation amongst young people for some or all of the following reasons:

1. No ability whatsoever to afford a house, i.e. the lifestyle that they are force-fed in music and on TV?

3. A lack of sense of direction, either because of overwhelming despair or because conditions in the UK have been benign for so long, there’s a sense of boredom and malaise?

4. A reaction to the pressure on young people to achieve, with those that fall between the cracks simply lashing out to equal up the score?

5. Association with knife and gun culture in popular culture, clearly the wrong message to be sending out.

I've felt for a long time that the world is lacking a youth culture that was all involving but mostly harmless. Today we have the opposite - something uninventive but devastating - taking someone else's life.

Do we need the punk era back, or something similar, as an outlet for all the frustration before it's too late?

Is it any particular group that is responsible for a majority of the stabbings? Eskimos from Iceland for example? Or Glaswegians after a night on the lager? Or is it randomly spread among all kinds of young people?

The News is deafeningly silent on the perps.

Do we need the punk era back

Skinhead era was good fun - and involved a lot of knives too -as per Teddy Boys during the 1950`s and we had National Service then -truth is the city of Naples had more stabbigs than the UK as a whole - the Daily Mail will move onto something else soon I suspect

Skinhead era was good fun - and involved a lot of knives too -as per Teddy Boys during the 1950`s and we had National Service then -truth is the city of Naples had more stabbigs than the UK as a whole - the Daily Mail will move onto something else soon I suspect

I don't think it's just the media. 5 stabbings in a single day this week and 2 overnight. It's an epidemic...

No punk was rubbish... what we need is to re-capture an environment where success can be achieved other than by winning the national lottery or inheriting a bundle. Why is anyone surprised at young people - deprived of credible long-term opportunities - when they decide that the only way they can establish respect is through violence.

I'm not talking about subsidies or 'doing things for these poor people' - I'm talking about establishing an honest system that can be trusted to reward hard work and success. As it stands, every policy I see is to undermine success and encourage failure.

I think it incredible that so many under-40s think it worth their while to pursue an education or career, for example. There are certainly no rewards for so doing.

I don't think it's just the media. 5 stabbings in a single day this week and 2 overnight. It's an epidemic...

The rational thing to do when you think that people around you are secretly armed is to secretly arm yourself.

The media reports of stabbings cause more people to carry knives.

The solution to the problem is to allow anyone to carry any weapon they want to in order to feel safe.

Guest happy?
The rational thing to do when you think that people around you are secretly armed is to secretly arm yourself.

The media reports of stabbings cause more people to carry knives.

The solution to the problem is to allow anyone to carry any weapon they want to in order to feel safe.

You are the NRA and I claim my five dollars.

Is it any particular group that is responsible for a majority of the stabbings? Eskimos from Iceland for example? Or Glaswegians after a night on the lager? Or is it randomly spread among all kinds of young people?

White polar bears IIRC..

No punk was rubbish... what we need is to re-capture an environment where success can be achieved other than by winning the national lottery or inheriting a bundle. Why is anyone surprised at young people - deprived of credible long-term opportunities - when they decide that the only way they can establish respect is through violence.

I'm not talking about subsidies or 'doing things for these poor people' - I'm talking about establishing an honest system that can be trusted to reward hard work and success. As it stands, every policy I see is to undermine success and encourage failure.

I think it incredible that so many under-40s think it worth their while to pursue an education or career, for example. There are certainly no rewards for so doing.

I think it's one of the manifestations of quick gain/disposable culture, initiated Ladies and Gentlemen, by Tory dogma in the 80s and early 90s!

I think it's all a fashion thing- carrying knives is sexy now. This is not really new- back in the sixties there were pitched battles between gangs using knives and cut throat razors.

One thing that does amuse me is that the imagery used by the authorities to discourage these trends is inevitably sombre, moody and dark- exactly the image those involved love to see. I remember an anti drug campaigner a few years ago saying that he had kids coming into his centre asking for copies of the anti drug posters to put on their bedroom walls!

I want to see a tv ad showing a young cool guy being stabbed and laying there crying for his mummy- these kids have no fear of death or injury, they are immortal. What would frighten them is the idea of losing face in front of their mates.

But the powers that be are too busy designing award winning mood pieces to consider this approach, so they go on producing material that reinforces the sexy image that leads to the carrying of weapons in the first place. They don't seem to understand that to a 16 year old death and it's associated icons are cool and not scarey.

A knife don't make you safe. Do you really think that if you stab someone who has a knife they will die before they can stab you back? :lol:

A knife, however, fuels ego and confidence - at least until confronted by someone with a gun. The point is the illusion of respect and the illusion of safety - which is, of course, why people who carry weapons tend to find themselves in more dangerous situations than those who don't.

I honestly believe that the key issue is that there are no other credible paths for many youngsters by which they could realistically gain approval by society... so, no matter how bad an idea it is, carrying weapons and feeling macho is the only game in town.

Is it any particular group that is responsible for a majority of the stabbings?

Yes, the black community.

Of course, the media would be racist if they highlighted this fact, just as I am racist for doing it here :rolleyes:

A knife doesn't make you safe. Do you really think that if you stab someone who has a knife they will die before they can stab you back? :lol:

You live in an area where there is a high chance of being attacked by people who might be armed with a knife.

Do you want to be

a) Totally disarmed

or

B) Have a knife or other object to hand

?

The one idiotic thing about knife murders is that it isn't an instant death. I assume, therefore, that the victim passes on their attacker's identity (they are statistically more likely to be known to them anyway) and more often than not, they don't get away with it.

One suggestion therefore is that a knife attack is an instantly self-destructive act as well as having the obvious consequences for other people.

I think it's more down to the fact that the media are now enjoying reporting this...

I think it's more down to the fact that the media are now enjoying reporting this...

If you mean they enjoy beating the government over the head with it, then I agree. But no-one actually wants this, I'd say.

If you mean they enjoy beating the government over the head with it, then I agree. But no-one actually wants this, I'd say.

The government love it.

Disarmed citizens are the ultimate goal of any asshole who lusts for political power. They also ar a great boon when you think food riots are in the near future.

People carry weapons so they can force their silly ego on others. If you are willing to be utterly humiliated, no one will kill you. There was an old story of a Zen master who, when challenged to fight, lay flat out on the floor and invited his opponent to jump up on his belly and strike a victory pose, so they could both save time. :lol:

The snag there, particularly where there are teenagers involved, is that the strategy assumes honourable and rational opponents. In many cases such a move would trigger violence since the intellectual superiority would likely trigger resentment... plus, if you are willing to be humiliated, you become the easiest target - and in an environment where people take out their frustrations on whoever seems weaker, it is a bad idea to be at the bottom of the pecking order.

My strategy would always be to minimise "information leak" - as while you remain an unknown quantity, you are unlikely to be considered either a particular threat or a soft target. The optimum outcome would be for no-one to know if you were armed - except yourself - and you should know that you are not... as that will help focus you on avoiding confrontation should there be a risk of red-mist.

I really think the key to understanding this is empathy - put yourself in these people's shoes and ask yourself if you'd be happy with realistic prospects. Thinking from a different perspective a lot can be learned...

Yes, the black community.

Of course, the media would be racist if they highlighted this fact, just as I am racist for doing it here :rolleyes:

When you look at the numbers i think it probably might be, it shouldn't be racist to point that out, in the same way it shouldn't be racist to point out that they probably suffer from making up the poorest element of society. Methinks the two are connected, if we had poor green people they'd be the ones doing the stabbing.

The number of increased attacks could be linked to the lack of upward mobility in our society, which is now greater under labour ( I mean labour ffs). I saw a documentary on C4 couple of weeks and it was all about 'respect innit' some of them on their saw it as the only way they could they could achieve anything.

Labour has been frantically ghettoising London since they came to power. The aim is to create an underclass who will make the environment so unpleasant that the middle class will leave. African asylum seekers are the shock troops of the fascist left.

The fact it's been on the increase in recent years represents, to me, anyway, that somewhere along the line there's

been a real breakdown in people trying to figure out where emotional value and material wealth cross over.

HPI has obviously been a part of this, but, day to day, it's a symptom of the problem, not the problem itself.

On another level, it's about territory, respect, pride, peer pressure, but also deep seated unease about your own standing

in life that trickles down to all of us at some point. And you might as well mix this in with the bigger problem that has it's

roots in the parents of those kids who get involved in this stuff. Their unable to give them both emotional discipline and a

sense of value in their own lives because they don't have it in their own. I think that's where a lot of the issues start.

And finally it's about people opting out of a system and way of life that used to bind society together, which in the long

run could be far more destructive than a measured level of credit expansion (not that what we've had recently has been measured!)

Everyone for themselves...

GT.

I was listening to a top police officer on radio 5 about this the other week and he stated that the statistics for wealthier areas of the South East, outside London are very very low nationaly, less than 1% of the national total. I must admit Aylesbury has a black and asian community but apart for the odd realated drug killing (very rare) I cant remember when we last had a stabbing in the local news.

So for me it is a mostly ethnic problem for the big citys like London, Liverpool, Birmingham, Manchester etc and doesn't happen around where I live. I have never known any kids who have carried knives or ever come accross knives involved in any trouble when out drinking.

M

When the French students story broke, the BBC made it very clear that the police were looking for a white man who had been seen leaving the building.

In most of the other stabbing incidents, the race of the suspects is simply not mentioned.

Hmmm....