House Price Crash Forum

Why Are There No Riots Over New Road Tax Increases?

HOLA441

Let me spell it out to you....

"It's not just the typical gas-guzzlers or luxury cars that will take a hit. From 2009-2010, the new road tax reforms will cost drivers of popular cars like the Vauxhall Vectra an extra £90 a year, a 43% hike in their tax."

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/busin...send.4283167.jp

Theres going to be a crescendo of riots in the future, just like in the 90s over poll tax.

The British patience can stand only so much...

- Falling house prices

- Increases in tax

- Falling wages

- Increasing ultility bills

- Increasing fuel bills

- Increasing food bills

- Pensions clobbered

The MPs don't get what a financial tsunami that has hit us - this is no time to introduce green taxes now.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
Guest Mr Parry
Remember this is a retrospective tax increase - so if you own a 2002 Vectra, that tax applies to you!

Blood boiling yet?

Do what . . .eh? Retrospective . . . what? So you like get £90 x 6 years bill?

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Remember this is a retrospective tax increase - so if you own a 2002 Vectra, that tax applies to you!

Blood boiling yet?

I don't buy into this '[its] a retrospective tax'. You can simply defeat this argument by saying that all car tax is to rise to the highest level given by the bands and then offering tax rebates for less polluting cars. Of course, I doubt that will stop the riots!

HOLA4412

It's not in the British nature to riot just because their road tax has been increased.

The poll tax riots were started by the great unwashed who had never paid a single penny in tax anyway.

Edited by OLDFTB

HOLA4413

They were discussing the taxes about 20 mins ago on the politics show.

The Labour MP was virulently defending the green taxes, despite rising fuel prices being an inbuilt ceiling to fuel usage and thus pollution.

Retrospective - when you renew your car tax, even a secondhand car, the new rate applies to you. So its not just new cars. I think the UK public don't get this yet. Just like Gordon robbing pensions - no one knew the huge implications at the time until recently. E.g. the worker who'll be £30,000 or something worse off from his pension under the changes.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Reminds me of the abolition of the 10% tax band. It was announced and nobody said a thing - until it started to affect them earlier this year.

Agreed.v The new banding for VED was announced in the pre-budget report last October. The actual amounts were published in March after the budget. Its only when a fuss is kicked up that anyone notices. A spokesman for the AA on Radio 5 live this week said 'no-one knows the full amounts'. Errr, they've been on HMRC and parkers websites for months.

The big hikes for cars producing over 200g/km ish come in April 2010. I fully expect they'll be reduced before then. Probably only apply from March 2006, when the existing band G was created.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Do what . . .eh? Retrospective . . . what? So you like get £90 x 6 years bill?

No, what is happening is that the VED groups are being expanded from 7 bands up to 13 bands by splitting some of the existing CO2 emissions bands, as an example my 2005 car is in band F, form 2009 my car will fall into the new band J, so my annual car tax will go up from £210 this year to £260 next year, then it will go up to £270 in 2010, if i was to buy a new car that fell into band J from 2010, there is going to be a one off 'showroom tax' to pay, so my first years tax would be £425, then it will be whatever the standard rate is the next year and so on.

Cars that fall into the highest tax band M, which is 225+ CO2 will be £440 in 2009, in 2010 the first year tax will be £950, then the standard rate after that will be £455.

These new tax bands are being applied retrospectively to all cars registered from March 2001 onwards, what this means is, if your car was registered from March 2001, then your cars CO2 emmisions will fall into one of the new 13 bands and you will pay the new tax that corresponds to that band, you will not have to pay any 'back' tax.

HOLA4418
Yeah, they will be shouting at Gordon to resign, just like we did to Thatcher.

and with that the tax will still be introduced all be it in a disgised way.

People need to understand that the MP's are all in bed togeather and they are scheming to come up with new ways to keep taking and taking from us suckers.

Playing by the rules will not achive victory when several bankers are passing cards to each other under the table so it's time to smash the table and catch them at it.

HOLA4419

They will be no riots because we are not French ...

Seriously though I was reflecting whilst walking round the magnficient Albert Dock in Liverpool that without the Toxteth riots in 1981 the entire area would most likely have levelled and turned into a car park now - the civil unrest led to Michael Heseltine been appointed the Czar of Merseyside and huge funds been released for regeneration - you could use the same argument to say that the Poll Tax riots led directly to the abolition of the tax -so come on folks -man the barricades !

HOLA4420

I own a mint (black) low mileage 2002 Vectra SRi 2.2 petrol.

I love it and keep it well maintained and polished. However, I don't get it out of the garage much anymore. The problem is, I need a car like this because I have a wife and three children and we have family hundreds of miles away who we visit 3 times a year. That's what this car is for. It's our lifeline to family. Nothing more. Public transport sucks. The government suck. My protest will be to vote Conservative.

HOLA4421

You are all wrong :)

The average UK sheep is immersed in Reality TV shows, binge drinking, spending, and being profligate. Who cares about tax when the twats in the Big Brother house are discussing toast? :blink:. Who cares about the Final Reminders landing on your doormat, when a group of second-rate celebrities are dancing on ice? ;). Escapism, celebrity, and repetitive, mind-numbing music on the radio .... the Perfect Distraction :)

The UK is imploding. There is absolute silence ... nobody cares about the storm brewing on the horizon. UK Plc is dying on its feet :rolleyes:

Edited by Home_To_Roost

HOLA4422
I own a mint (black) low mileage 2002 Vectra SRi 2.2 petrol.

I love it and keep it well maintained and polished. However, I don't get it out of the garage much anymore. The problem is, I need a car like this because I have a wife and three children and we have family hundreds of miles away who we visit 3 times a year. That's what this car is for. It's our lifeline to family. Nothing more. Public transport sucks. The government suck. My protest will be to vote Conservative.

Wouldn't it make more sense and be a lot cheaper just to hire a car 3 times a year?

HOLA4423
Wouldn't it make more sense and be a lot cheaper just to hire a car 3 times a year?

Not really. If I sold it I'd only get 3.5k for it. If I did what you suggest then there's the hassle of needing transport in an emergency (I live in the sticks). I'll look after this car and can still see me owning it in 10 years time.

I see your point and if I lived in the town I'd do it without question.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425