House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rickybruce

Soldiers To Be Given Free University Education

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7503807.stm

What a disgusting move to get more of our young people to die to support our leaders political ambititions.

There was a time when if you were good enough you got to go to university. Now it doesn't matter what your academic ability, as long as you are willing to pay with debt or your life, then then you are in.

(I have no problem with members of the armed forces getting a free education, but i don't think its right for a government who abolished free higher education for the masses, and have enslaved a generation of young people to debt, should offer this carrot to the nations youth.)

I am sure the normal entry requirements would remain so I would not worry about academic standard.

I do think this is a bit rich coming from the government which introduced tution fees in the first place.

I am sure the normal entry requirements would remain so I would not worry about academic standard.

So making universities commercial entities has not affected entry standards at all? I cannot be sure.

So making universities commercial entities has not affected entry standards at all? I cannot be sure.

Ok. I suppose I should say that by normal I mean compared to everyone else. Remember that the government 'paying' for ex service people to do degrees may just be spin for telling the universities that they cannot charge them fees. In that case commercial factors actually act against them.

Guest anorthosite

Isn't this similar to the GI bill the US had after the second world war? I've heard a lot of US veterans speak very highly of that.

Guest Skint Academic

I do think this is a bit rich coming from the government which introduced tution fees in the first place.

Anyone remember the communal shower scene in Starship Troopers when they are all saying why they joined up? For example, one woman saying that she needed to become a citizen as she wanted babies.

Isn't this similar to the GI bill the US had after the second world war? I've heard a lot of US veterans speak very highly of that.

The difference being that in this country the ink has barely dried on the tuition fee introduction bill brought in by this government.

In the US AFAIK higher education has always been at a substantial cost so the GI bill would have offered something of real value. This government has taken with one hand, and given back with the other, but with massive and life threatening strings attached!

Please excuse my eric moment.

From the Soliders I have met, I think they would prefer the money to be spent on decent equiptment like body armour and troops carriers in the field, rather than spend on yet another Gordon Brown recommendation that never comes to fruition.

Gordon Brown has made more promises than a second hand car salesman, we are bored of it now.

The problem is that its very difficult leaving the services knowing you wish to become an international footballer when you are a monopede.

Why would anyone want an educated army? They have to be kept stupid so as not to see through the increasingly thin propaganda they government and media pumps out. Stupid or cowardly makes for a good soldier - stupid enough to think he can make a difference or cowardly enough not to leave. Everyone gets brave when their life is threatened so that won't be a problem.

More importantly why would you want anyone with a Phd to know how to fire a rifle