House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
manterik

Come On In The Waters Fine

Guest happy?

....Prices are plunging, markets are in turmoil - but, incredibly, now could be the time to put your money in property, writes Richard Dyson in the Mail on Sunday......

They were accurate in one respect:

Definition of Incredible

Not credible; surpassing belief; too extraordinary and improbable to admit of belief

(http://www.brainyquote.com/words/in/incredible177552.html)

"Buy low, sell high" is probably the most basic piece of investment advice one could give. But buying in the current market is probably 'buying medium'.

So the advice 'buy medium, sell high' would still be sound advice but one has to think about where 'low' might be and how to get past it first'!

Edited by blankster

Guest happy?
"Buy low, sell high" is probably the most basic piece of investment advice one could give. But buying in the current market is probably 'buying medium'.

So the advice 'buy medium, sell high' would still be sound advice but one has to think about where 'low' might be and how to get past it first'!

On the basis of this article alone I'm convinced that getting into BTL now is the thing to do. The important thing to remember is that though the market may yet decline a little further you need to take the long view.

Thanks to previous advice from the Mail's Where's My Money? section my shares in the Isle of Wight Steam Packet company happen to worth a bob or two now and very shortly they'll be in profit.

No, no! The new paradigm is "buy high, hope to Christ that it goes even higher."

Oh Gawd. Here we go again. Another VI website tells us that rents are going up. As the illustration above shows, this defies all logic. They are trying it on. If values are plummeting and there is an increase in properties available, for buying or renting, how can rents possibly go up, except through gullible fools falling for whatever hype they are told by agents? Why can't people simply do a nursery school sum? Sheesh!

VP

Edited by VacantPossession

WTF!!!!!!

Diving-boardtmos_470x680.jpg

Magnificent! A completely incomprehensible and unexplained graphic just bursting with irrelevancies. Why do some (but only some) of the divers have their hands up as they're being held at gunpoint? The underwater ones just appear to be sinking to the bottom with no hope of resurfacing. Why are they holding their legs open in that peculiar way? Where are the bubbles coming from? I'm fairly sure you're not supposed to be breathing while you're underwater.

Guest happy?
Magnificent! A completely incomprehensible and unexplained graphic just bursting with irrelevancies. Why do some (but only some) of the divers have their hands up as they're being held at gunpoint? The underwater ones just appear to be sinking to the bottom with no hope of resurfacing. Why are they holding their legs open in that peculiar way? Where are the bubbles coming from? I'm fairly sure you're not supposed to be breathing while you're underwater.

The bubbles are from BTL landlords crapping themselves as they realise they're underwater and have a long way further to go down. The ones with their hands-up in surrender are landlords realising it's game over.

Edited by happy?

More importantly what is the source for this data they present? There is no indication of this and every possibility that they just made it up to support an otherwise unsustainable line of argument. :angry:

Of course this is anecdotal, but from my experience 'rents are going up' is nonsense. I know three groups of friends, all renting large houses in pleasant parts of SW London, who have moved recently.

All three groups have 'traded up' in terms of quality, now renting recently done up houses which have either been BTLs trying to jump ship, or people who have bought another house then found it impossible to sell the first. All have managed to negotiate various decreases in rent (in one case really significant - three figures per month) because the landlords so needed to get some money in to cover the mortgage, let alone their recent costs.

It seems logical to me that as more property goes to rent, prices will go down.

WTF!!!!!!

I think they are confusing yield and cashflow.

As house prices fall, yields rise (even if the rent doesn't increase nominally)

But this won't help landlords struggling with large negative cashflows.

These muppets who bought ignoring cashflow with the expectation that HPI will bail them out are in for a painful lesson in economics.

It seems logical to me that as more property goes to rent, prices will go down.

Never underestimate Rent Up Demand

It's what LLs want but can only (sometimes) achieve by behaving like EAs

Edited by Laura

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
WTF!!!!!!

Chartjunk and made up figures

I've been in the UK now for eight months and where I live (Cheltenham), rents are definitely lower than when i arrived, with heaps and heaps of supply.

Haven't really got a handle on selling prices yet, but asking prices seem to have split in two across the county. Some are reasonable-ish and noticably lower than the deluded... making some hilarious viewing in estate agent windows.