House Price Crash Forum
Now or never

Uk Economics - Where Do I Start?

I've always believed there was something wrong with the housing market when I was unable to purchase a house from my uncle at a discounted price in 2003 yet those around me were buying more expensive properties on a lesser income; the outcome of it all was that I was being honest! Anyway I stumbled across this site early this year and since have become a daily logger (no jokes please!). I'm an engineer and have had no real interest in economics, well not until now; since joining this site I've learnt so much and find it so fascinating that I would now like to self educate. I was wondering if anybody could kindly advise a good starting point or reference any books that could be easily digested by a beginner?

I've always believed there was something wrong with the housing market when I was unable to purchase a house from my uncle at a discounted price in 2003 yet those around me were buying more expensive properties on a lesser income; the outcome of it all was that I was being honest! Anyway I stumbled across this site early this year and since have become a daily logger (no jokes please!). I'm an engineer and have had no real interest in economics, well not until now; since joining this site I've learnt so much and find it so fascinating that I would now like to self educate. I was wondering if anybody could kindly advise a good starting point or reference any books that could be easily digested by a beginner?

http://www.chrismartenson.com/crashcourse

Is a good overview of our current situation from a very broad perspective.

Start with some general books on economics - I'd suggest avoiding the web to start with since there's a lot of crackpot stuff out there presenting itself as mainstream. Here's a couple that I've read that are ok:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Economist-Economic...327&sr=8-10

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Essentials-Economi...327&sr=8-16

After that, it gets harder to suggest since the only thing two economists seem to agree about is that they don't agree about anything very much. It's not like engineering sadly :(

Some of the best economists are engineers and scientists for the very reason that they are less affected by acceptable economic theory, and just stick to analysis of data.

One book I have written by someone with an engineering background is "The second great depression" by Warren Brussee.

Edited by Sinking Feeling

I got from pre GCSE to A-Level on books written by Somebodyoranother Stanlake. Would highly recommend them.

They left me with the impression that there's part of economics that everyone should have to study.

I got from pre GCSE to A-Level on books written by Somebodyoranother Stanlake. Would highly recommend them.

They left me with the impression that there's part of economics that everyone should have to study.

Yes, I still have a copy of that book myself after I forgot to return it to school!

I recently read J.K. Galbraith's A Short History of Financial Euphoria. Highly readable, witty and will reassure you that it's everyone else out there who's mad for having participated in the bubble - and not you for refusing to!