House Price Crash Forum
tuggybear

Buyers’ Revenge On Estate Agents

DISGRUNTLED house buyers are trying to put estate agents out of business with a series of smear campaigns.

Police believe the culprits are people who have been left with huge debts after buying a property just before the slump in prices.

Estate agent Sarah Mains is being targeted by hoaxers claiming her firm has gone under thanks to the credit crunch.

“There’s a malicious rumour being spread that we are going into liquidation,” said Sarah, 39, who has five offices across the north-east of England. “We have called in the police. It’s serious because it’s putting people’s jobs at risk.”

Bosses at another estate agency in Oldham were horrified to discover that 500 firms they routinely deal with – including solicitors, surveyors and advertising agencies – had been sent a fax saying the company had been wound up.

Peter Bolton King, chief executive of the National Association of Estate Agents, revealed last night that he is being sent hate mail.

“I’ve been getting hate e-mails calling me ‘The scum of the earth’ and saying they hope every estate agent in the country goes out of business,” he said.

“It’s hard to believe that anyone would go to the trouble of researching who I am and what my e-mail address is to send me this stuff.

“Unfortunately, like politicians and journalists, estate agents are not always held in the highest regard, but it seems we can’t do anything right.

“Estate agents got the blame when house prices went up and some people said they could no longer afford to buy a home, now it’s our fault prices are coming down.

Continued : http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/52257/...n-estate-agents

Edited by tuggybear

I find that quite funny myself!

Looks like at least some people have hit the anger phase then, it would seem!

No doubt someone will come duly come along and tell me I should have some sympathy, be careful what I wish for, blah blah blah.

Whatever. I'm still laughing.

DISGRUNTLED house buyers are trying to put estate agents out of business with a series of smear campaigns.

Police believe the culprits are people who have been left with huge debts after buying a property just before the slump in prices.

Is this a surprise?

These hopeless hopefuls were truly fleeced. And they are *still* being fleeced.

It's called misselling. And there's bound to be some retaliation. I can't believe I can still see those "luxury flat" banners up telling buyers to "hurry because only 3 flats are left" etc.

“There’s a malicious rumour being spread that we are going into liquidation hiding,” said Sarah, 39, who has five offices massive overheads across the north-east of England. “We have called in the police liquidators. It’s serious because it’s putting people’s jobs at risk.”

Its pretty pathetic that such a non-story is front page on one of the best selling newspapers in UK ...

Still, I guess its a departure for the Sunday Express front page since its not about Princess Diana or immigrants :ph34r:

Estate agent Sarah Mains is being targeted by hoaxers claiming her firm has gone under thanks to the credit crunch.

“There’s a malicious rumour being spread that we are going into liquidation,” said Sarah, 39, who has five offices across the north-east of England. “We have called in the police. It’s serious because it’s putting people’s jobs at risk.”

And the charge would be..?

Sounds like the agent is wasting police time.

grrrr

“Estate agents got the blame when house prices went up and some people said they could no longer afford to buy a home

Yes, because most of them happily encouraged it, milking it for all it was worth, even if only out of nothing more sinister than good old honest, unfettered, ignorant greed.

.. now it’s our fault prices are coming down.

My heart bleeds.

It could be the banks wot's doing it - if there are no EAs then they won't have to bother sending letters of refusal to mortgage applicants.

I seem to remember there was retaliation in the 90s too but usually smashed windows rather than more subtle stuff like this.

Can't say I'm terribly sympathetic towards many EAs as a lot are lying scum (although I'm sure there are a few good eggs - just never actually met one!)

I find it distinctly rich that she is moaning; all people of her ilk (whether it be bankers, EAs or snake-oil salesmen) don a shirt and tie, before comprehensively f**king people right over, and I mean proper f**king. Just because what they are doing is done with a smile and legal sanction, doesn't make it alright.

I don't want to defend street scum either, but let's take two examples:

1) Mugger jumps you, beats you up and nicks your wallet. Result: some pain and discomfort as you recover, and you lose £50 and have to cancel all your cards.

2) EA missells you a disgracefully overpriced property in a market teetering on the edge of the abyss. Result: a lot of pain and discomfort as you struggle through 8 years negative equity, and you lose £80k and have to cancel your whole life.

I would throw both of them in prison for a loooong time. EAs should not be surprised that reprisals occur.

“It’s hard to believe that anyone would go to the trouble of researching who I am and what my e-mail address is to send me this stuff."

WTF?

Stable-Horse-Bolton-King has had his name in the papers every day for the last 5 years!! Peter, your name is IRREVOCABLY ASSOCIATED WITH HOUSE PRICES!! YOU ARE THE KING OF THE ESTATE AGENTS and Oliver HPCromwell is coming to put you on trial for treason against the people!

Whilst we've been discussing the issue above, there is a point that has been missed and which can be drawn from this story:

That is that the blame focus for HPC appears to have shifted.

If you read this board, we ourselves have been blaming Estate Agents and Bankers for causing rampant HPI, but it has only been us doing this not the general public. We as the resident HPC doom sayers have been worried that it is us that might come in for blame and the backlash as the market fell. Few have not publicly celebrated the coming of the crash for fear of upsetting colleagues and family and of course our spokesman maintains a balanced presentation by sticking to the facts and not rubbing noses in it for fear of being accused of talking the market down.

So what this story indicates to me is an awakening amongst members of the public as to who is to blame for the house price crash. Suddenly they realise the role of the estate agents, bankers, builders, mortgage brokers and surveyors had been to talk to the market up and ultimately to inflate it to ridiculous proportions. Whether these professions and individuals did this in a totally deliberate fashion is not clear, personally I believe most were blinkered to the overall picture and were simply spurred on by commission - ultimately it is the businesses concerned who are to blame as in effect they built a better system (the best ever) for parting fools from their money, but in the end all good times come to and end and it is clear theirs just has.

<edit corrected is to in>

Edited by mikelivingstone

If you read this board, we ourselves have been blaming Estate Agents and Bankers for causing rampant HPI

I don't.

It's the general public who bought houses, so it's our fault. So much for blame.

Estate agents have a higher than normal proportion of gits amongst them, but they are not responsible for HPI. The flaw in the mugger argument is that you have a choice about buying a house from an estate agent.

I don't.

It's the general public who bought houses, so it's our fault. So much for blame.

Estate agents have a higher than normal proportion of gits amongst them, but they are not responsible for HPI. The flaw in the mugger argument is that you have a choice about buying a house from an estate agent.

Chute, that's a fair point, though the thrust of my argument is that the public is now looking at where to apportion blame. For a while I think a lot of HPCers thought we'd take the blame for talking down the market, but actually the article shows that some people now realise they have overpaid - naturally they'll blame the EAs, though I guess vendors could also get stick.

I doubt that this is being done by disgruntled purchasers who bought at the top of the market.

It sounds more like the kind of trick that estate agents themselves would pull to me.

I would have thought that this was being done either by disgruntled staff who have recently been laid off by an estate agency or by rival estate agents, trying to get one over on their competitors.

It's just the kind of thing those scumbags would do. The police are looking in the wrong place.

Ok, this could get serious.

I believe it is very important that people don't get carried away with winding up estate agents.

I am guity of speaking to a couple of agents and saying they are wrong about their firm beliefs re: the housing market (in 2007). And of course making silly offers on properties. However, those offers were real in the sence that had they been accepted, as a cash buyer, I would have bought.

But there is a thin line between what could be classed as harassment and mear speculation here. Its important that all of us here on this ever more increasingly respected forum stay on the right side of the law.

The estate agents have tried to decieve me in the past, by saying things like 'property will always go up..' - this was wrong to say, as they are not financial advisers - but it is for this reason that their own bad karma will return to haunt them. What goes around comes around in my opinion, and their greed and some dodgy practises will affect them now as many will loose their jobs.

Keep us the good people as we are and stay on the right side of the law, dont harass them, they have already sown their own seeds.

Regards,

Andrew

Guest pioneer31
“Estate agents got the blame when house prices went up and some people said they could no longer afford to buy a home, now it’s our fault prices are coming down.

Continued : http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/52257/...n-estate-agents

Answer is simple

Get yourself a proper job - one which doesn't involve creaming off the fat, of the sale of someone else's assets.

I don't.

Ah, the calm voice of reason. Go away, your kind aren't welcome around these parts. :)

I agree with you btw, there's collective responsibility here - bankers lent, EAs ramped and the public bought.