House Price Crash Forum

Here's a dilema - would you have a relationship with someone with a relatively high loan to value mortgage that resets in the coming months? There must be a fair chance that at some point in the near future they are going to need financial assistance? This makes them a bit of a liability.

I find this dilema interesting because a year or so ago I remember speaking a conversation with a couple of women who wouldn't consider going out with someone who rents. Bit of a turnabout now.

Here's a dilema - would you have a relationship with someone with a relatively high loan to value mortgage that resets in the coming months? There must be a fair chance that at some point in the near future they are going to need financial assistance? This makes them a bit of a liability.

I find this dilema interesting because a year or so ago I remember speaking a conversation with a couple of women who wouldn't consider going out with someone who rents. Bit of a turnabout now.

Date?

Yes

Bail them out?

Probably not

Here's a dilema - would you have a relationship with someone with a relatively high loan to value mortgage that resets in the coming months?

Hmmm ... how big are her tits?

Here's a dilema - would you have a relationship with someone with a relatively high loan to value mortgage that resets in the coming months?

It depends how jealous you'd feel about her getting ^%$£* by the bank.

Guest Bart of Darkness
a couple of women who wouldn't consider going out with someone who rents.

Gold diggers.

(This is not a pretext for turning this into a gold thread BTW ;) )

I remember a conversation with a couple of women who wouldn't consider going out with someone who rents. Bit of a turnabout now.

I was given a bit of a rough time when I first joined HPC, simply because I (naively) made mention of a change in attitude from friends when we STR.

How things have changed over the last few months...'friends' now asking me for advice...the decision to sell our house last year was based purely on instinct and I really do not know what to say to them.

Date?

Yes

Bail them out?

Probably not

But if the relationship turns serious you are ultimately taking on his/her debts. Not too long ago my little brother and his girlfriend broke up after a couple of years together. My mum told me that as sorry as she was for my brother she couldn't help but be glad that his savings wouldn't ultimately get wiped out by her debts.

The Indians have it right, IMO, however unromantic their idea of courtship might be to Westerners. Debt = misery, so unless you're an eccentric millionaire, it just doesn't make sense to get into a situation where you'll be likely to be asked to absorb serious financial pain as the price of being involved with your partner. She is unlikely to be grateful either, people tend to end up resenting other people who bail them out, it's an unpleasant truth of human nature I'm afraid.

Geez, I'm a right misery guts, eh? :lol:

There are going to be a lot of 20 something women wondering about their futures with the boyfriend stuck in negative equity in some new build which is rapidly losing it's 'executive' status.

As 20 something women struggle to get by either with the wage slave partner or under their own steam the level of indebtedness of a potential partner is going to be right up there along with 'good sense of humour' when they're eyeing up the next victim. I think I'd pass the humour test by laughing at what their ex paid for their flat last year.

As for whether i'd be interested in a woman with a lot of debt, the answer is probably not. And not solely because I wouldn't want to lose my savings in the potential act of having to pay their debt off for them.

Mostly I wouldn't be interested because we wouldn't be compatible ; How did that person get in such a mess in the first place, I'd want someone with something upstairs outside of being easily led by aspirational magazines and a confusion with the concept of 'class' and self worth.

I've not met many.

OK, more of a personal comment about my dubious morals here. When I lived in London as a single I would actively go out in Clapham to do everything, food, clothes everything I bought there, always after 6pm. This was because I could meet females of clapham, credit card maxed out, studio flat on IO mortgage. A few 'hints' regarding a job in the city, retiring at 35 etc and they were how can one put it delicately? Enthusiastic to spend private times with me. If I wanted to change I would tell them what I really did and I had no intention of bailing out their 20k credit card bill, they were soon looking for another sucker.

Date no, financially do you want to be hooked to someone without a basic grasp of maths or understanding of debt.

I girl I used to know said that she would feel unhappy going out with anyone that rented. Unfortunately however, the girl in question's finanaces are a little lapse, NR mortgage that is due to reset soon and I'm sure there's been MEWing involved or at least some unsecured borrowing as the house was decribed as a 'goldmine'. My gut feeling is that if she isn't repossessed over the next five years she would have done extremely well. Its a shame because she's earnt some decent money over the past few years but wasted it on crap rather than saving or making inroads towards paying down the mortgage.

OK, more of a personal comment about my dubious morals here. When I lived in London as a single I would actively go out in Clapham to do everything, food, clothes everything I bought there, always after 6pm. This was because I could meet females of clapham, credit card maxed out, studio flat on IO mortgage. A few 'hints' regarding a job in the city, retiring at 35 etc and they were how can one put it delicately? Enthusiastic to spend private times with me. If I wanted to change I would tell them what I really did and I had no intention of bailing out their 20k credit card bill, they were soon looking for another sucker.

Date no, financially do you want to be hooked to someone without a basic grasp of maths or understanding of debt.

This would be my approach to if I were still young and single.

'Date' them no, but I'd give them a good seeing to if they were cute...

Mostly I wouldn't be interested because we wouldn't be compatible ; How did that person get in such a mess in the first place, I'd want someone with something upstairs outside of being easily led by aspirational magazines and a confusion with the concept of 'class' and self worth.

I've not met many.

Me neither, if you do happen to find out where they all are, do let me know...

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
By the hour :P

Hey. Don't knock it, fixed price liabilities can be reassuring.

Call me old fashined but I can remember when arranging dates didn't involve finding out LTV's and reset dates, where has romance gone?

If you weren't considering her finances I can assure you she was certainly considering yours. Guys are just a little less naive nowadays!

Gold diggers.

(This is not a pretext for turning this into a gold thread BTW ;) )

I went out on a date in January with a girl....and she couldn't understand why I was renting.

"You're just paying someone elses mortgage" she said.

I was trying to politely say that I thought it was a bad time to buy, but she couldnt understand it. It's worth mentioning that she bought a new build flat (part buy/rent) last year. Ohhh dear.

...we didn't go out again. :lol:

Dating in the modern age is almost crazy. There ARE genuine and nice women around. Don't get me wrong!

BUT .... there are a shocking number of women who only care for property, money, and status :ph34r:

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
Dating in the modern age is almost crazy. There ARE genuine and nice women around. Don't get me wrong!

BUT .... there are a shocking number of women who only care for property, money, and status :ph34r:

I just stay at home and masturbate. It's more fulfilling.

Then I cry. Then I get drunk.

And the cycle begins again.

Edited by DissipatedYouthIsValuable

I went out on a date in January with a girl....and she couldn't understand why I was renting.

"You're just paying someone elses mortgage" she said.

I was trying to politely say that I thought it was a bad time to buy, but she couldnt understand it. It's worth mentioning that she bought a new build flat (part buy/rent) last year. Ohhh dear.

...we didn't go out again. :lol:

She's a numpte debt slave.

Best rid.

Have to ask though, did you do the deed anyway?