House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
blankster

Empty Restaurant

After discovering this afternoon that one of our EAs seems to have closed suddelny, another sign of the times:

We went out to a really nice Chinese restaurant this evening (Saturday) Whenever we've been before its been busy - more or less full. But tonight it was almost empty - by the time we'd finished we were the only diners left and it wasn't late. I was beginning to think I was in an estate agents!

Edited by blankster

After discovering this afternoon that one of our EAs seems to have closed suddelny, another sign of the times:

We went out to a really nice Chinese restaurant this evening (Saturday) Whenever we've been before its been busy - more or less full. But tonight it was almost empty - by the time we'd finished we were the only diners left and it wasn't late. I was beginning to think I was in an estate agents!

I heard that indian and chinese restaurants were in trouble even before the recession, from much cheaper competition with supermarket deli counter chinese banquet and indian feast meals for one/two etc. The recession will finish many off

I heard that indian and chinese restaurants were in trouble even before the recession, from much cheaper competition with supermarket deli counter chinese banquet and indian feast meals for one/two etc. The recession will finish many off

Difficult to mimic the 'Eastern experience' even if armed with the appropriate supermarket sourced feasts served up at home on a traditionally cold, damp and generally miserable July evening.

Difficult to mimic the 'Eastern experience' even if armed with the appropriate supermarket sourced feasts served up at home on a traditionally cold, damp and generally miserable July evening.

True, nobody could recreate the bizarre furry wallpaper and awful 1970's indian music of a trad curry house, at home. And ice-cold draft cobra beer is rather tasty! But, the supermarkets are getting better at copying the flavours, although their indian is better than the soggy chinese food they can create IMO. And it is much cheaper, and smokers can smoke at home, booze cheaper, no petrol etc etc...enjoy it while you can, if you like the restaurant scene. Good old cheap fish and chips is likely to retake its lost crown as the most numerous restaurants in UK, albeit mostly run by chinese and turks these days

True, nobody could recreate the bizarre furry wallpaper and awful 1970's indian music of a trad curry house, at home. And ice-cold draft cobra beer is rather tasty! But, the supermarkets are getting better at copying the flavours, although their indian is better than the soggy chinese food they can create IMO. And it is much cheaper, and smokers can smoke at home, booze cheaper, no petrol etc etc...enjoy it while you can, if you like the restaurant scene. Good old cheap fish and chips is likely to retake its lost crown as the most numerous restaurants in UK, albeit mostly run by chinese and turks these days

Bottled Cobra beer is rather good too, flavour and texture of supermarket 'Indian' superior to 'Chinese' only because the former travels particularly well.

Petrol required irrespective of choice, and no, restaurants ain't us.

Cheap fish 'n chips?... prepare yourselves for a bit of shock on your return!

But the Chinese restaurant I'm talking about not only has excellent food, but nice decor, and great ambience. Whenever we're been before it's been busy, yet yesterday, peak time - Saturday evening, it was deserted.

But the Chinese restaurant I'm talking about not only has excellent food, but nice decor, and great ambience. Whenever we're been before it's been busy, yet yesterday, peak time - Saturday evening, it was deserted.

Are you sure it's not just seasonal? It's always quieter at this time of year due to holidays and stuff.

Guest KingCharles1st

I must admit to a similar experience last night- we went to "Dragon Chav" in letchworth- took the boys after a swim, just wanted something I didn't have to cook or wash up after.

Fairly busy at 6, but by 7 as we were leaving, it really was looking thin.

My wife and I eat out a fair bit (no kids).

I must say I really haven't seen much evidence of a down turn in business recently, having said that we live in a relatively wealthy area and I think things would need to be pretty bad before the resturants in the area see a problem.

I have to agree; took my dad out to a fish and chip restaurant in Cleethorpes - yes Cleethorpes,

on Monday evening and at 7pm there was a queue! No name, no pack drill, the queue is long enough alrready!

I have to agree; took my dad out to a fish and chip restaurant in Cleethorpes - yes Cleethorpes,

on Monday evening and at 7pm there was a queue! No name, no pack drill, the queue is long enough alrready!

I don't know where else the chain of up market Chez Fred fish and chips shops operate, but the one in Westbourne, Bournemouth is never without a queue.

There is something more relaxing about eating out a sense of occassion (Mc Doanlds excluded of course). Home, however nice the food does not have the same atmosphere. You eat more slowly and enjoy the food more

The Chinese and Indian takeaways here (big village, south Surrey) have both been, compared to this time last year, dead as the proverbial dodos for a few months now. The missus was away over the weekend, so I kinda reset to Slobby Bloke mode and had a couple of takeouts from the (superb) Indian, and I had the place to myself on both occasions (Friday and Sunday nights, both usually busy times) which would never, ever have happened last year.

The supermarket competition thing is an interesting point, and when it comes to the crappier end of the Indian and Chinese markets, it makes a degree of sense, but I find it hard to believe it's hitting the better end of the market. There's absolutely no comparison between even the funkiest supermarket curry and the stuff you get from the better class of takeaway.