House Price Crash Forum

Is A Housing Crash Possible Without A Recession?

HOLA441

So is a housing crash possible without a recession?

Reading the paper today, and noticing an unbelievable amount of economic gloom, I did wonder if we could ever have had the crash without the other negative events. I consider a housing crash as a positive of course.

But a cheap house will still be out of reach if you have no employment, or viable mortgage.

People such as myself will benefit. But many others will not. Prudent savers who invested in an ISA for example are about to discover some nasty surprises. Stocks are taking a real hiding. It's a bear market now. Pensions will be hit too of course.

Having never bought a house, never had a pension, and never acquired an ISA, I feel really vindicated for being so feckless haha

HOLA442

Reading the paper today, and noticing an unbelievable amount of economic gloom, I did wonder if we could ever have had the crash without the other negative events. I consider a housing crash as a positive of course.

But a cheap house will still be out of reach if you have no employment, or viable mortgage.

People such as myself will benefit. But many others will not. Prudent savers who invested in an ISA for example are about to discover some nasty surprises. Stocks are taking a real hiding. It's a bear market now. Pensions will be hit too of course.

Having never bought a house, never had a pension, and never acquired an ISA, I feel really vindicated for being so feckless haha

Yes, it would be possible for house prices to crash without a recession, but not after a bubble this big.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Unfortunately, the current government became so dependant on house price inflation from exposing it's rather weak economic policies that it actually started to create policy to keep the boom running as long as possible and we are now at the point where they are inseparable.

This will probably continue in the future unless there is some sort of shakedown and we start to balance out the economy by making things again firstly for domestic consumption and then for export. As emerging economies become richer and we become poorer the possibility of this happening grows -painful process however

HOLA448

Do you include Cash ISA's? I appreciate there are stocks/share type ISA's out there. But is there some reason to be worried about Cash ISA's?

Edit: I should add that I mean beyond the usual worries about bank failure and currency collapse that worries us all anyway.

Edited by Khayl

HOLA449
HOLA4410

It depends what you mean by 'crash' and 'recession' but personally I think not.

Firstly, houses are bought with borrowed money. Secondly, for them to reach a level where they can crash implies that much of that borrowing has been unwise. So either the borrowers are going to have to retrench, or the lenders are going to suffer default. Either way, there has to be pain in the wider economy.

If houses were not bought with borrowed money then it would be different ... debt-inflated bubbles wouldn't form, for a start.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Do you include Cash ISA's?

Well I was reading the Torygraph, and it mentioned Child Trust Funds, Individual Savings Accounts and pensions.

How do Cash ISAs make their money? That should give you the answer.

Here's a quote for you -

Someone whose cumulative investment in an ISA was worth 20K last summer, would now be 4.4K worse off

I should investigate all the areas a bear market hits. I suspect it's very far reaching.....

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Since the consumer boom was financed in large part by people remortgaging, the housing crash is causing consumption in general to plummet So, while it may in theory possible to have a housing crash without a recession, in practice, in this case, the two are inextricable.

Like love and marriage they go together like a horse and carriage.

Oh no, I think I'm about to burst into song. I'm beginning to feel cheerful. :lol:

HOLA4416

I believe it will create a recession, because of the multiplier effect of new money created through bank credit. Every time a mortgage is lent out, the bank gets to make new credit, which is redeposited into someone else's bank, creating more deposits. This is of course subject to capital adequacy limits (the bank can't create limitless money), but still creates a lot of economic activity with all the new money into the system. When this goes into reverse, money becomes scarce. There is a close link between drops in M4 and recessions. Plus the UK economy is too dependent on housing - white van man, builders, estate agents etc. etc. It isn't only housing causing problems - all the energy rises, food fuel and static wages are going to accelerate the problems as affordability drops through the floor.

HOLA4417

I think it is possible. A recession is 2 quarters of negative growth and the figures along with inflation figures are easily manipulated by the government stats office. So I don't think we will technically go into recession but effectively we will.

Also very like companies if you are used to growing at 2% then that becomes the baseline. The amount of times I have heard 'Company X' has had the worst year for 10 years only to read that the rate of growth has fallen from say 6% to say 2% i.e. it is their best year ever but the rate of growth is smaller that over the last 10 years.

When it comes to fake figures however the market eventually prices everything in so currently the banks, companies and most people realise inflation is really 10%. The market actually begins to behave like inflation is 10%. Libor is a good example of this, higher rates are need to mitigate risk the bank could now cut IR to 0% and the market would probably ignore.

• 8 months later...
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Yes a house is just a commodity and subject to the normal rules of supply and demand. So if you build so many 4 bed detached houses that everyone has one the price comes down.

This HPC is a side effect of the Credit Crunch, people still want houses, they are still envious of people with nice expensive houses, its just that they can't get the money to buy them at the price the seller wants.

Only when houses are at an affordable level will things move again. It was the obscene attitude of banks which drove house prices out of reach of only the very rich or very stupid i.e. those who thought 4x, 5x, 6x salary or 125% mortgage was a good idea.

HOLA4423
Since the consumer boom was financed in large part by people remortgaging, the housing crash is causing consumption in general to plummet So, while it may in theory possible to have a housing crash without a recession, in practice, in this case, the two are inextricable.

Like love and marriage they go together like a horse and carriage.

Oh no, I think I'm about to burst into song. I'm beginning to feel cheerful. :lol:

Yes, I agree with this. For the vast majority of people in the UK, home ownership is part of the DNA, so the the economy and house prices are linked. The link might not be as tight in the rest of Europe, but as with most assets they are still linked.