House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Badger

Bbc Hys

I love the comments (often) from people with phds who claim they can't get jobs because they're 'overqualified'.

My *rse, basically they're indicisive priviliged middle-class fools who have a chip on their shoulder putting the employer off, get real, a phd does NOT make you cleverer than the next man.

Rant over.

Edited by Si1

I love the comments (often) from people with phds who claim they can't get jobs because they're 'overqualified'.

My *rse, basically they're indicisive priviliged middle-class fools who have a chip on their shoulder putting the employer off, get real, a phd does NOT make you cleverer than the next man.

Rant over.

Yeah, unless you want to go and research particle physics or something, doing a PhD straight after being an undergrad actually makes you pretty unattractive to employers as you have no real work experience. Through work I know quite a lot of people with PhDs that have good jobs, but they worked for five to ten years first and the went back to education on a sabbatical. I'd like to do that one day, but I definitely didn't think going straight into graduate study after doing my BA would help my employment prospects.

Yeah, unless you want to go and research particle physics or something, doing a PhD straight after being an undergrad actually makes you pretty unattractive to employers as you have no real work experience. Through work I know quite a lot of people with PhDs that have good jobs, but they worked for five to ten years first and the went back to education on a sabbatical. I'd like to do that one day, but I definitely didn't think going straight into graduate study after doing my BA would help my employment prospects.

Higher education is pretty much a massive scam these days. At least 90% of undergraduates simply shouldn't be there, and even postgraduate courses have been devalued by the massive expansion of courses and inevitable decline in standards as universities admit the left half of the Bell Curve to make money.

Employers know this and that's why many "graduate" jobs these days are at levels around £12-15K. It's an enormous waste of time, energy and money which also has the consequence of luring gullible young people into serious debt before they've even left their parents' home.

Guest Bart of Darkness

I liked this one

Putting the wrong numbers on the lottery every week

At lot seem to be about falling in love with the wrong person, which isn't costly in the financial sense (unless you're a man of course).

Rant over.

Maybe not 'cleverer' but typically more qualified than the next man, and it is being 'overqualified' that they claim is a problem for them. They don't mention intelligence they mention qualifications.

And, 'cleverer', :lol: , that's pretty funny.

'You think you're better than me!?' :rolleyes: Chip on shoulder indeed.

"I once missed a plane coming home from western canada - $900 for another ticket... but ask me this question again in a year or so when house prices have done there thing...

Buying my present house and now finding that I can't sell it.

My costliest mistake was not selling my house last September, after telling every man and his dog that it was the right thing to do, because a crisis was nigh. I didnt take my own advice!

Not buying more property, when it was cheaper?

There are times I wish instead of going to Uni I'd got a job on leaving school, bought a house in the late 90s when they were still dirt cheap and stayed in my home town, but you know what they say about the best-laid plans, and I'm happy with my lot now.

About 10 years ago I was planning on buying a house (it was £38,000) but then work commitments meant I'd be away nearly 90% of the time (and paying a mortgage, rates etc for no apparent gain). For that reason I decided against it. Oh what a costly mistake that was - I'm still renting!

I once had the choice between keeping my flat or selling it when I bought a new house. I decided to sell it as I didn't want the hassle of renting to tenants. 18 months after I sold it for £56,500, the new owners sold it on for £185,000 without having done any work on it. If only I'd known the housing market in Hackney was going to go berserk... Oh well, hindsight is 20/20 vision and past mistakes make the present person so no point worrying about it.

not buying a house when i left uni in '97 - couldn't afford it as houses cost 3-4 times the pittance I got paid. Now earn 3 times as much and houses cost 4 times as much!

:lol: not thinking hard enough about a mortgage!!.

all i do is pay 450 a month and thats just dead money. if i had a mortgage i probably would of paid a few grand off by now.

kids, get a mortgage as soon as you can. :lol:

etc etc tons of 'getting marrieds' and 'going to university/getting a job' :(

I liked this one

At lot seem to be about falling in love with the wrong person, which isn't costly in the financial sense (unless you're a man of course).

Well, if you then support financially / lend loved one money that is never returned it is costly. Seems to have happened to a fair few I have met. Happened to me, couple of thousand lost. You live and learn.

Divorce must ruin some people as well?

Guest Bart of Darkness
etc etc tons of 'getting marrieds' and 'going to university/getting a job'

Never been married, never went to university.

Never bothered me much before, it bothers me even less after seeing some of those comments.

Well, if you then support financially / lend loved one money that is never returned it is costly.

I was thinking more along the lines of iniquitous divorce settlements.

Never been married, never went to university.

Never bothered me much before, it bothers me even less after seeing some of those comments.

I was thinking more along the lines of iniquitous divorce settlements.

never mind, some of your assistants would have made up for that.... some of them even had degrees, although some of them were boys, and where, may I ask, are the cloakrooms in the Tardis?

Guest Bart of Darkness
never mind, some of your assistants would have made up for that.... some of them even had degrees,

Zoe was very intelligent. I'm sure she had a degree in "Incredible cuteness".

zoe2.jpg

although some of them were boys

The Doctor did seem very attached to Jamie (Frazier Hines) didn't he?

hines.jpg

and where, may I ask, are the cloakrooms in the Tardis?

The Doctor's bladder is dimensionally transcendental (bigger on the inside).

Well, if you then support financially / lend loved one money that is never returned it is costly. Seems to have happened to a fair few I have met. Happened to me, couple of thousand lost. You live and learn.

Divorce must ruin some people as well?

Don't lend money if you are reliant on getting it back. ;)

Zoe was very intelligent. I'm sure she had a degree in "Incredible cuteness".

zoe2.jpg

The Doctor did seem very attached to Jamie (Frazier Hines) didn't he?

hines.jpg

The Doctor's bladder is dimensionally transcendental (bigger on the inside).

yep, two hearts, two of everything. luv to meet a female timelady!!

Edited by Bloo Loo

Very interesting article.

As a 21 year-old there are 2 regrets that apply to me in a negative way, but plenty more that apply in a positive way.

The amount of compliants about people's working environments are making me very glad I'm going down the self-employed route.

I don't consider university to be a waste... even if the person wastes it that's 3 years off where they get to have lots of fun!

I liked the "I didn't gie Bill Gates a 7k loan back into the 70's" one, although it's probably fake.

Edited by DementedTuna

Higher education is pretty much a massive scam these days. At least 90% of undergraduates simply shouldn't be there, and even postgraduate courses have been devalued by the massive expansion of courses and inevitable decline in standards as universities admit the left half of the Bell Curve to make money.

Employers know this and that's why many "graduate" jobs these days are at levels around £12-15K. It's an enormous waste of time, energy and money which also has the consequence of luring gullible young people into serious debt before they've even left their parents' home.

Agree. I needed a postgraduate degree for my job, so I had to go to University. My older boy is not very bright but could probably 'go to uni'. I won't be paying for it as it would be a waste of time and money for me and him. I will strongly advise him to leave school at 16 and get a trade.

Very interesting article.

As a 21 year-old there are 2 regrets that apply to me in a negative way, but plenty more that apply in a positive way.

The amount of compliants about people's working environments are making me very glad I'm going down the self-employed route.

I don't consider university to be a waste... even if the person wastes it that's 3 years off where they get to have lots of fun!

I liked the "I didn't gie Bill Gates a 7k loan back into the 70's" one, although it's probably fake.

sfunny that students either have money or need to get a loan to pay for their home away from home, yet MPs get an allowance not only to BUY a second home, but get allowance for furnishing it too.