House Price Crash Forum

No More Cheap Clothes For Uk - More Inflation Coming Your Way Soon

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
Damm are those Indian children demanding a pay price???? Same on them putting up our inflation.

no, the exchange rate is adjusting reflecting the ascendency and strength of these up and coming thrid world economies, meaning things they sell to us cost more in £ despite rupees amount being the same, and they can afford more cheaply to buy things from us instead and improve their own existences. Globalisation and floating currencies and trade at its best.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
Debenhams are virtually giving stuff away at the moment in there 70% sale!! Unfortunately I dont need anything at the moment

'Unfortunately I don't need to spend money at the moment'

Why is not spending money unfortunate? Buying nothing is always cheaper than buying something at 70% discount!

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
But shirts at Asda are £3 each. :o

No more demand now they're laying off estate agents??

Seriously though, the morality of buying these products knowing that they are made by child slaves is dubious. Clothes should never have been made this way and I for one am happy to pay a correct price for a product as long as it isn't just the same child slave made product with a massive markup that is, how can anyone be sure? :o :angry:

HOLA4412

Seriously though, the morality of buying these products knowing that they are made by child slaves is dubious. Clothes should never have been made this way and I for one am happy to pay a correct price for a product as long as it isn't just the same child slave made product with a massive markup that is, how can anyone be sure? :o :angry:

Well, rest assured, the child slaves will be out of a job and starve freely instead, whilst we will put hundreds of EA's to work in local sweatshop to sew up our rags with a less massive markup for the correct price(which you will still find very expensive). Happy now? :)

HOLA4413
Well, rest assured, the child slaves will be out of a job and starve freely instead, whilst we will put hundreds of EA's to work in local sweatshop to sew up our rags with a less massive markup for the correct price(which you will still find very expensive). Happy now? :)

If they no longer have to work the cotton fields/ sweatshops for a pittence and go back to school it will be best for them in the long term. And I still won't buy any cheap stuff made by no estate agent - I need to feel clean ;)

HOLA4414
Guest absolutezero
If they no longer have to work the cotton fields/ sweatshops for a pittence and go back to school it will be best for them in the long term. And I still won't buy any cheap stuff made by no estate agent - I need to feel clean ;)

What do you mean "BACK to school"?

This is the mistake people make with this debate?

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
no, the exchange rate is adjusting reflecting the ascendency and strength of these up and coming thrid world economies, meaning things they sell to us cost more in £ despite rupees amount being the same, and they can afford more cheaply to buy things from us instead and improve their own existences. Globalisation and floating currencies and trade at its best.

I have seen a few if your posts tonight Si1. It is nice to see someone with a proper understanding of what is going on.

HOLA4417
What do you mean "BACK to school"?

This is the mistake people make with this debate?

Didn't you know about the abandoned schools?

I bet all those teachers will be glad to have something to do, they must be getting quite bored by now.

HOLA4418

Well, they won't be going to school, most likely their parents will have to sell them because without work, they cannot afford to feed them. There is no social security in those parts of the world, nor free schooling either. Not saying you *should* buy their stuff (and if you don't someone somewhere will), but the reality is that having work nearby their family is one of the less nasty things that can happen to poor kids in that part of the world.

HOLA4419
Guest Mr Parry
My old t shirts out lived my new ones, quality these days is shocking.

Get all my shirts from the same guy on Beach Road, Pattaya. Stock up every year. Amazing quality, last forever. £4.00 each.

HOLA4420
Get all my shirts from the same guy on Beach Road, Pattaya. Stock up every year. Amazing quality, last forever. £4.00 each.

The Thai must know a thing or two about shirts..most CK shirts I picked up in NYC recently (£ 12 each as opposed to £ 50 upwards in the UK) are made in Thailand...

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
Make do, and mend....charity shop, e bay...it is only inflation if you buy it an inflationery price. ;)

Second hand stuff is only what people have bought. Pricing primark/cheapy supermarket stuff is really difficult as it was never dear to start with. A lot of the cheaper stuff is only fit for rags.

HOLA4423

Agreed, but there is a middle way between the ludicrous £3 of Asda and the equally ludicrous £40 quoted elsewhere. How about £15? Seems fair. But only if the slaves get at least 3 times the pay. That's the trouble: if Asda put up the price of a shirt, there is no guarantee that will pay child labourers a dime more, let alone the fact they shouldn't be labouring in the first place.

VP

Edited by VacantPossession

HOLA4424
Damm are those Indian children demanding a pay price???? Same on them putting up our inflation.

You mean the clothes you're probably wearing?

Doubtless you own something that was made by kids in India or China, like pretty much everybody else in western Europe. Don't try to make out you're different, because you're not.

HOLA4425
Agreed, but there is a middle way between the ludicrous £3 of Asda and the equally ludicrous £40 quoted elsewhere. How about £15? Seems fair. But only if the slaves get at least 3 times the pay. That's the trouble: if Asda put up the price of a shirt, there is no guarantee that will pay child labourers a dime more, let alone the fact they shouldn't be labouring in the first place.

VP

Yes, it's all very well saying that, but how do you know where the stuff you bought was made? These are all just token statements. We all buy s*it made in these countries. Their children are working in conditions that we were working in back in Victorian times. It's not nice. But it's happening, and let's face it, despite some comments on a discussion forum, you're not doing anything to change it, are you?