House Price Crash Forum
gruffydd

Torygraph Encourages Speculation

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm...mfinances11.xml

12 Soft commodities. Everyone is raving about agricultural related assets, given the food shortages. Getting exposure to owning productive assets in soft commodities (like food and wood) is getting harder, but the long-term investment case looks just as strong. Options include Cambium Global Timberland IT and the forthcoming Schroder Agricultural Land IT.

30 Empty that jar of coppers. Two and one pence pieces made before 1992 are 97 per cent copper and given the high price of copper ($8,185 a tonne) they are technically worth around 3p.

SO I should melt down my coppers?

Edited by gruffydd

12 Soft commodities. Everyone is raving about agricultural related assets, given the food shortages. Getting exposure to owning productive assets in soft commodities (like food and wood) is getting harder, but the long-term investment case looks just as strong. Options include Cambium Global Timberland IT and the forthcoming Schroder Agricultural Land IT.

They should have just made the headline:

Invest in food today! Relish the results of your actions as you watch the fuzzy wuzzies dying from the comfort of your 3rd mansion!

Edited by DementedTuna

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm...mfinances11.xml

30 Empty that jar of coppers. Two and one pence pieces made before 1992 are 97 per cent copper and given the high price of copper ($8,185 a tonne) they are technically worth around 3p.

SO I should melt down my coppers?

It's illegal to melt the coppers as you are debasing the currency or something like that.

In this hour of quiet contemplation, the stillness of the dawning calms my mind.

I face the day with heartfelt exaltation, the light is both a promise and a sign.

In the darkness, we have lost the son of our sister, though the beauty of his spirit lingers still.

This was a child of love, a child of laughter, who cannot understand the way I feel.

Is it not the sun that gives the seasons? Is it not the sun that brings the rain?

Our throats are choked with dust, but we're still singing.

Our song will not be silenced by the pain.

All around the village I could hear the roosters crowing.

There was a time it was like music to my ears.

Now all I can hear is the sound of hungry babies crying.

I pray for rain to wash away their tears.

African sunrise, light of a brand new day. African sunrise, light of a brand new way.

With one who will be our brother, and one who will be our partner and teach us to know.

African sunrise, smile on my African home.

African sunrise, smile on my African home. African sunrise

John Denver, African Sunrise

so are you saying that, given food shortages, people with wealth should NOT invest in improved agricultural production for the third world - and your point is...?

They should have just made the headline:

Invest in food today! Relish the results of your actions as you watch the fuzzy wuzzies dying from the comfort of your 3rd mansion!

The recommended company's main activity seems to be investing in food production so it's not that clear-cut.

Around 75%-80% of the fund will invest in vehicles that own or are buying land and will benefit from capital appreciation.

The other 20% -25% will be in equities and commodities. Forestry investments will also be considered if target returns can be achieved.

Investment criteria includes targeting prime land where there is an opportunity to improve returns through modern farming practices.

Potential early investments include a Romanian product that is aggregating land from very small parcels into units that are commercially viable.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
so are you saying that, given food shortages, people with wealth should NOT invest in improved agricultural production for the third world - and your point is...?

Where do the profits come from?

Much of the third world is already farming, people with wealth are just skimming.

Sitting on their arses and skimming.

From the telegraph article originally cited:

"Getting exposure to owning productive assets in soft commodities (like food and wood) is getting harder, but the long-term investment case looks just as strong. Options include Cambium Global Timberland IT and the forthcoming Schroder Agricultural Land IT. "

ie investment in hard productive assets

from the Reuters release, regarding speculation in actual food

"The European Commission has so far played down the role of speculation in forcing up the price of oil and grains, saying it is more an issue of supply and demand. Many other experts agree."

I agree that speculation in food itself is abhorent, but that isn't what the originally railed-against telegraph article is saying, isn't it?

Where do the profits come from?

Much of the third world is already farming, people with wealth are just skimming.

Sitting on their arses and skimming.

which is why they have lower life expectancies than us. They have to work harder for less, they have less developed economies.

Jeez, this woolly minded nonsense winds me up.

Have the third world no right to incoming investment then and better lives?

Sorry - my mistake... - very strangely worded though. Almost nonsensical:

Everyone is raving about agricultural related assets, given the food shortages. Getting exposure to owning productive assets in soft commodities (like food and wood) is getting harder.

Mmmmmm. What does this actually mean? Is getting exposure to owning productive assets in soft commodities getting harder? Surely this isn't the case. Very odd indeed. What are they talkin about?

Edited by gruffydd

Sorry - my mistake... - very strangely worded though. Almost nonsensical:

Everyone is raving about agricultural related assets, given the food shortages. Getting exposure to owning productive assets in soft commodities (like food and wood) is getting harder.

Mmmmmm. What does this actually mean? Is getting exposure to owning productive assets in soft commodities getting harder? Surely this isn't the case. Very odd use of language.

fair enough :)

I am guessing that the assets in question are not, say, companies freely traded on stock markets, or as open ended investment vehicles of some kind. Hence hard to invest in. They could of course be cartels or nationalised businesses, which would strike me as more likely to be explotative rather than mutually beneficial. Particularly in the third world where commercial freedoms are more limited. I would hope, btu have no guarantee, that the opening of cracks into freer growth-oriented investment would make them fairer for the thrid world masses and less likely to support corruption.

edit to add:

perhaps 1st world involvement in Iraq, and the defensiveness from Zimbabwe and neighbouring nations is raising protectionism...? Laws of unintended (and if so, tragic) consequences.

Edited by Si1

It's illegal to melt the coppers as you are debasing the currency or something like that.

Something to do with defacing the portrait of Her Maj' I believe....

DISGRACE_copy.jpg

post-3117-1215895867_thumb.jpg