House Price Crash Forum
Chrysalis

Kitchen Window Been Bolted Shut

Ok so my kitchen has 1 window, the flat in general is poorly ventilated and the kitchen window is the only one that is full size. The boiler is in a stupid location under the sink which is under the window, during this years check it seems the exhaust for the boiler been below the window means its breaking regulation. To me the obvious solution is the boiler should be moved, the corgi guy who does lots of work for my landlord says no chance my landlord will do that and he forsees him simply bolting the window shut, I asked how much to move the boiler and he said approx £800 which to me dont sound that much, if it were my house I would move it but I am obviously not going to pay for it to be moved when it isnt my house.

So where do I stand in regards to the window been bolted shut, I am still waiting to hear what the landlord will propose to do but I know he is very tight and I be surprised if he does anything other than bolt the window shut.

Does a kitchen have to be ventilated? if yes does it have to have a window or simply a extractor fan like a bathroom.

Thanks

Hmm. Tricky one. The usual rule is that if there is a window it must be 1/10th of the floor area, and the opening bit must be 1/20th floor area.

However, kitchens (& bathrooms) CAN be interior, and then have to be ventilated to however many cu ft of air per hour (or whatever).

Here we've got a clash of regulations - bit like English Heritage & the Fire Brigade fighting it out over historic buildings. My instinct is that the Gas safety regulations will trump everything else in sight, so in the short term I suspect that's what the LL will do. (I had a similar situation relating to a bedroom window in a house we let - this was in fact checked out as safe, but it was smelly sometimes. Fortunately there was another window so we were able just to close that one off.)

Simply moving the boiler might only be £800 (though we were quoted well over £1000), but that may not take account of the possibility that the entire kitchen might have to be re-fitted (depending of course on layout) which might cost a lot more.

I'd suggest you get the Environmental Health Officer round - this is right up their street and they can can tell you exactly where you stand and can also tell your LL what he must do. They can impose interim solutions - like bolting up the window plus ventilation - pending a longer term solution, so it might not answer exactly what you want, but they would be my first port of call for help in solving the problem.

Hmm. Tricky one. The usual rule is that if there is a window it must be 1/10th of the floor area, and the opening bit must be 1/20th floor area.

However, kitchens (& bathrooms) CAN be interior, and then have to be ventilated to however many cu ft of air per hour (or whatever).

Here we've got a clash of regulations - bit like English Heritage & the Fire Brigade fighting it out over historic buildings. My instinct is that the Gas safety regulations will trump everything else in sight, so in the short term I suspect that's what the LL will do. (I had a similar situation relating to a bedroom window in a house we let - this was in fact checked out as safe, but it was smelly sometimes. Fortunately there was another window so we were able just to close that one off.)

Simply moving the boiler might only be £800 (though we were quoted well over £1000), but that may not take account of the possibility that the entire kitchen might have to be re-fitted (depending of course on layout) which might cost a lot more.

I'd suggest you get the Environmental Health Officer round - this is right up their street and they can can tell you exactly where you stand and can also tell your LL what he must do. They can impose interim solutions - like bolting up the window plus ventilation - pending a longer term solution, so it might not answer exactly what you want, but they would be my first port of call for help in solving the problem.

Fan flued appliances can vent underneath opening windows but there is a minum distance according to the British Standard - I have a copy at work but not here.

If its fan flued an extension pipe can be added to duct the flue gases and intake away from the window. That shouldn't be an issue at all.

I agree - call the local environmental health department. An adequate supply of fresh air into a room is a basic requirement under both the Housing Act 2004 and prior to that the Housing Act 1985. If there is already an evidential dampness problem then the EHO may be able to serve a Section 80 Environmental Protection Act 1990 improvement notice to remedy the problem on grounds that it is prejudicial to health.

I will do as both you guys said, in the light of the window been bolted shut tho I may have a proposal for my landlord. In the summer we turn the boiler of completely ie. no pilot light and I use the electric boiler for my water heating, and in the winter we turn the gas boiler back on and bolt the window shut, this would still be inconveniant for me but more acceptable.

First tho I will get environmental health to have a look and see what the LL proposes.

Edited by Chrysalis