House Price Crash Forum

The Polish Are Leaving - Stop Them !

HOLA441
Why do we not return "can't stay" asylum seekers to the country which is nearest theirs? Let them deal with it.

Because of the 1951 UN agreement on refugees - first safe country they apply for gets the person to process (as modified by EU Dublin convention more recently, which state that the if the country processing the application can find evidence of another EU country which the applicant passed through to reach the final one, they can return them there). In my day we used to search them thoroughly for evidence of Italian lire, other EU ID etc, but nowadays all EU countries take their prints and put them on a superb EU asylum seeker fingerprint database. I imagine that makes it impossible for Joe Somali or Fred Albanian to claim that it was not them who claimed asylum in France first

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
The polish people i work with dont use the bank rate, they use how many zlotys does an ordinary person get, they used to get 7.50 to the pound, they said to me they get 4.09 zlotys to the pound on friday.

That is a major change, but britain is still economically better off than poland, not sure if that will still be the case 10 years from now.

Yes, but wages have doubled in Poland over the last five years too.

I've been to Poland dozens of times, I drove to Gdansk just last autumn, it's a lovely country and apart from in the cities, it's a far more law-abiding and safe country to be than the UK.

HOLA443
Poland has a major problem with neo-nazis too, as does the Czech Republic. V depressing.

If you're talkin about France and Belgium, I think the Poles will have fewer problems than in the UK - in terms of racism AND exploitation, for which Britain is renowned. I

I

What a load of rubbish - the British are one of the most tolerant nations on earth -hence the reason so many want to move here - far-right political partys are mainstream in European Countires -even the Norwegian equivalant of our BNP got 25% in their last general elections meanwhile the BNP is lucky to save it`s deposit in the UK -likewise with far-right partys in Switzerland ,Italy etc ,etc ...

HOLA444
We've been told for years that immigration is good. Big contribution to the economy. Hard working, decent, respectable blah blah. Which, for first generation immigrants is true.

Presumably emigration is, therefore, bad.

What if everyone who was an immigrant and, say, up to second generation immigrant - went 'home'?

Lots of houses on the market and empty houses to rent. So houses would become cheaper and people would have smaller mortgages. People with smaller mortgages have more money to spend on other things and this would create wealth in the economy.

Sounds good to me.

Incidentally, the inclusion of up to second generation immigrants, would have a quite dramatic effect. In my family alone it would mean about 50 of us heading home and, no doubt, causing a local housing crisis, in a small village in Ireland.

Nice theory, but it can't work - ethnic Brits are simply not breeding fast enough, their population is declining (along with emigration, but that will now stop as there will be no MEW or HPI equity to fuel foreign forays). We would be in danger of ending up like Japan, which is now bringing in immigrants to wipe the backsides of the elderly - you and I will one day treasure the Jamaican/Albanian/Nigerian/Polish girl who wipes your backside in the old folks' home, as no local ethnic Brit will be willing to do it - easier to sit on the dole with all rent paid by benefits.

The solution is a 2 pronged attack - slash benefits to make ethnic Brits get up and go to work (and also to deter immigrants with benefits in their sights); while simultaneously encouraging home breeding and savagely controlling inbound immigration on a skills-shortage basis. The reason this will never happen is the British democratic 5 year election system - no political party would risk imposing incentive-hardships onto millions of work-shy Brits, or risk alienating both their votes and those of the immigrant community, by imposing tough love medicine on the statute books. It is a shame, deep shame. Society is doomed to be a perverse mix of leeching benefits claimants and hard working immigrants (legal and illegal) because of the vanity of politicians who do not want to do what they know is required. Ask yourself this - is any member of your distant family on benefits? Would YOU vite for a party who would impose tough hardships on your family members? (Albeit for their own good long-term). IMO

HOLA445
Nice theory, but it can't work - ethnic Brits are simply not breeding fast enough, their population is declining (along with emigration, but that will now stop as there will be no MEW or HPI equity to fuel foreign forays). We would be in danger of ending up like Japan, which is now bringing in immigrants to wipe the backsides of the elderly - you and I will one day treasure the Jamaican/Albanian/Nigerian/Polish girl who wipes your backside in the old folks' home, as no local ethnic Brit will be willing to do it - easier to sit on the dole with all rent paid by benefits.

The solution is a 2 pronged attack - slash benefits to make ethnic Brits get up and go to work (and also to deter immigrants with benefits in their sights); while simultaneously encouraging home breeding and savagely controlling inbound immigration on a skills-shortage basis. The reason this will never happen is the British democratic 5 year election system - no political party would risk imposing incentive-hardships onto millions of work-shy Brits, or risk alienating both their votes and those of the immigrant community, by imposing tough love medicine on the statute books. It is a shame, deep shame. Society is doomed to be a perverse mix of leeching benefits claimants and hard working immigrants (legal and illegal) because of the vanity of politicians who do not want to do what they know is required. Ask yourself this - is any member of your distant family on benefits? Would YOU vite for a party who would impose tough hardships on your family members? (Albeit for their own good long-term). IMO

As a non UK citizen, you sure are full of advice for the UK.

Any chance of putting a cake in it?

HOLA446
Ask yourself this - is any member of your distant family on benefits? Would YOU vite for a party who would impose tough hardships on your family members? (Albeit for their own good long-term). IMO

Yes, and yes. Blood may be thicker than water but if you let that change your notions of what's right and wrong, then you're a hypocrite. And as you say, benefit isn't good for the recipient in the long-term.

UK benefit culture is unsustainable; "if something is unsustainable, it won't be sustained."

HOLA447
HOLA448
As a non UK citizen, you sure are full of advice for the UK.

Any chance of putting a cake in it?

Sorry renterbob,I am British born and bred, an ex-UK public servant (what have you ever done for your country?) so I feel quite entitled to comment on UK business affairs. I presume your worthless reply to my post means that you are both a cretin, and/or at the same time agree with what I am saying.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Hmmmmmm - funniest thing I've seen in a while is Tesco's stocking Polish Mineral water. I mean FFS, the hight of pointlessness, it must cost more in fuel to ship than it's sold for!

Happily enough no-one was buying it and it's already 50% off :lol:

Mind you - those Polish cherry flavoured Jaffas Tesco stock are a bit tasy ;)

HOLA4412
Perhaps the population was healthier back then (as evidenced by disability figures ;)) and more able to do this demanding physical work.

Seriously, I grew up in a farming community in the 1970s and there certainly used to be British people doing manual farm work. Hell, I used to do it myself, unpaid, as a child/teenager (I wonder how many farm kids are in the labour force today?)

I'm pretty sure the farm labourers were on dismal wages though -- perhaps below minimum wage or what they could get on the dole today -- and had a very low standard of living.

Partly offset though by a tied cottage for life and half an acre to work.

HOLA4413
i personally liked them. polite. friendly. hard working.

but why would any self respecting pole come here, to the rain and racism for anything other than to save and leave ?

it was very pompous for us to assume they were here to 'escape' from polish poverty and induldge in our media driven 'lifestyle' haha.

poland is probably richer in life than here in slavebox land. less knifings. less snoopy local government. probably less tax.

overall, im happy for them. good luck fellas !!!

I currently rent out a room in my house to a polish engineer. I must say he is very courteous and well behaved.

He spent a number of years working in Germany and was treated like dirt. He said the english are far more accomodating and accepting of poles.

Edited by Kurt Barlow

HOLA4414
What a load of rubbish - the British are one of the most tolerant nations on earth -hence the reason so many want to move here - far-right political partys are mainstream in European Countires -even the Norwegian equivalant of our BNP got 25% in their last general elections meanwhile the BNP is lucky to save it`s deposit in the UK -likewise with far-right partys in Switzerland ,Italy etc ,etc ...

http://www.tribune.ie/news/home-news/artic...ooze-and-vomit/ :P

I was writing about the experiences of Polish family members in Belgium, the Netherlands, Norway and Sweden - you might care to notice that the Poles are not coloured - the BNP and their ilk tend to focus their ire on coloured people.

In terms of exploitation - the Poles suffer v badly from exploitation - largely through employment agencies and the like. There is little enforcement of the legal minimum standards here - there is generally more enforcement of minimum labour standards in much of mainland Europe through inspectorates, etc. Indeed, some MPs have raised this issue in the Commons. Several Polish political parties have been kicking up a stink about the exploitation of migrant workers in the UK.

Edited by gruffydd

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Sorry renterbob,I am British born and bred, an ex-UK public servant (what have you ever done for your country?) so I feel quite entitled to comment on UK business affairs. I presume your worthless reply to my post means that you are both a cretin, and/or at the same time agree with what I am saying.

CB - Renterbob is most likely to be the alter ego of Beefheart - whose offence and unecessary posts frequent these pages!

Cretin probably sums him / them up nicely

Edited by Kurt Barlow

HOLA4417

If you are British born and bred, why do you say you are from the West Indies? Are you not proud of being British???

HOLA4418

Actually, most of the Africans I have met in the UK are decent, hardworking people who are trying to make a better

life for themselves here. If you want to find the source of the problems how about looking at the homegrown morons.

The last thing we need is more Africans, look at all the murders/drug crime in London.

HOLA4419
If you are British born and bred, why do you say you are from the West Indies? Are you not proud of being British???

Yes, I am very proud of being British (although ethnic Irish/West Indian mixed parentage) - proud enough to sit and listed to a CD of Churchill's speeches and feel the hair stand on the back of my neck when processing (fewer and fewer) holiday bookings at my desk. But my desk happens to be located in the West Indies, and that is where I am posting "From" hence the location. I thought that would have been obvious.

But I would be eligible for 3 passports if I wanted to escape the economic collapse which I will experience when I return to UK in the autumn - including Irish and one of the Caribbean countries. But since the whole world is fooked, my plan is to head to the country with the best police and security forces to portect my family and I - and that is most definitely not to be found in this region (except Bermuda/The Caymans which have a healthy smattering of serving British plod).

Why don't more people state where they are posting "from", stating the town or city/country would be helpful for folks to comprehend anecdotes, but is mostly missing from posters' profiles. Maybe they fear Bruno or other nutters will track them down.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Loads of Welsh people, born and bred in 'Britain' do not see themselves as British...

If I was caught with a Churchill CD, my father in law would probably knock me out with a claw hammer - And he's born and bred in the Welsh part of Britain!

"Being born in a stable," the Duke of Wellington is supposed to have said, "does not make one a horse." Wellington, so the story goes, was rejecting the idea that the accident of his birth (in Dublin) would make him Irish...

Edited by gruffydd

HOLA4422
Loads of Welsh people, born and bred in 'Britain' do not see themselves as British...

If I was caught with a Churchill CD, my father in law would probably knock me out with a claw hammer - And he's born and bred in the Welsh part of Britain!

"Being born in a stable," the Duke of Wellington is supposed to have said, "does not make one a horse." Wellington, so the story goes, was rejecting the idea that the accident of his birth (in Dublin) would make him Irish...

I always remember meeting an ethnic Welshman from Patagonia in Argentina, who presented me with an Argentinian passport at Heathrow since he and his family had lived in Patagonia for many generations, since the 19th century. He still spoke Welsh, better than a Welsh colleague who had a little natter with him, and better than he spoke spanish.

It seems inevitable that there must have been ethnic Welsh fighting for the argies against the British during the Falklands War - would your father in law have been delighted if an argie-welshman had shot a Brit para?

HOLA4423

Thats sadly ironic as the Welsh are the only ones who can legitimately say that they are real Britons, racially I mean.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
I always remember meeting an ethnic Welshman from Patagonia in Argentina, who presented me with an Argentinian passport at Heathrow since he and his family had lived in Patagonia for many generations, since the 19th century. He still spoke Welsh, better than a Welsh colleague who had a little natter with him, and better than he spoke spanish.

It seems inevitable that there must have been ethnic Welsh fighting for the argies against the British during the Falklands War - would your father in law have been delighted if an argie-welshman had shot a Brit para?

I saw an interesting programme about this. The direct-descended Welsh Patagonians are quite a small group, but I think they 'officially' declared support of Argentina during the war. They're pretty integrated with those of Spanish descent I think (though they probably guessed it wouldn't be a good idea to be pro-British). I seem to recall they don't speak Welsh anymore apart from when they go to Chapel (as they are nonconformists as opposed to RC).