House Price Crash Forum

The Polish Are Leaving - Stop Them !

HOLA441

This has gone beyond the joke. Over the past 3 years we have seen an approximate 2 million Polish migrants come and live amongst us. We have shared our lands, jobs even roads with their left handed cars on them and on the most part things have gone relatively smoothly. But now especially in the North West where nearly 500,000 of them have settled, their leaving. I dont mean one or two, but convoys this weekend are heading for France & Belgium. It appears were not offering what they want anymore and they feel its time to move on.

article-0-00DD8CAC0000044C-209_468x286.jpg

Stop them. They just cant leave like that, we'll miss them wont we.

Like rats leaving a sinking ship.

I only wish I could leave with them.

Edited by debt-free

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
This has gone beyond the joke. Over the past 3 years we have seen an approximate 2 million Polish migrants come and live amongst us. We have shared our lands, jobs even roads with their left handed cars on them and on the most part things have gone relatively smoothly. But now especially in the North West where nearly 500,000 of them have settled, their leaving. I dont mean one or two, but convoys this weekend are heading for France & Belgium. It appears were not offering what they want anymore and they feel its time to move on.

article-0-00DD8CAC0000044C-209_468x286.jpg

It's all very sad :(

How will we ever manage without them? It's not like this country has ever managed without uncontrolled immigration before is it?

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Surely this will have a major effect on GDP

Unlucky Gordon!

Edited by slurms mackenzie

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Does this mean farm owners will have to pay farm workers wages that actually reflect real British living costs now?

Not the slave wage, "living ten to a bedsit" wages the Polish were happy to earn, while still sending the occasional tenner back home which practically supported their whole family.

That means food prices will go up even more. But the good news is even less demand for homes/accomodation.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Does this mean farm owners will have to pay farm workers wages that actually reflect real British living costs now?

Eventually, yes, when the pound and UK living standards have declined sufficiently and the welfare system has been reformed. In the interim, UK crops will rot unharvested, with the shortfall being made up by imports.

HOLA4415
Guest pioneer31
But now especially in the North West where nearly 500,000 of them have settled, their leaving. I dont mean one or two, but convoys this weekend are heading for France & Belgium. It appears were not offering what they want anymore and they feel its time to move on.

Oops, there goes our pent up demand! :lol:

Edited by pioneer31

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Any evidence they are leaving?

Anyway, Trust in the Lords report.

This isn't selective quoting, it was in the press and everything.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/l...82/8211.htm#a32

15. The overall conclusion from existing evidence is that immigration has very small impacts on GDP per capita, whether these impacts are positive or negative. This conclusion is in line with findings of studies of the economic impacts of immigration in other countries including the US. The Government should initiate research in this area, in view of the paucity of evidence for the UK (para 66).

216. Although possible in theory, we found no systematic empirical evidence to suggest that net immigration creates significant dynamic benefits for the resident population in the UK. This does not necessarily mean that such effects do not exist but that there is currently no systematic evidence for them and it is possible that there are also negative dynamic and wider welfare effects (para 69).

217. The available evidence suggests that immigration has had a small negative impact on the lowest-paid workers in the UK, and a small positive impact on the earnings of higher-paid workers. Resident workers whose wages have been adversely affected by immigration are likely to include a significant proportion of previous immigrants and workers from ethnic minority groups (para 78).

228. We recognise that many public and private enterprises currently rely upon immigrants—from the NHS to City institutions, from the construction industry to residential care. We do not doubt the great value of this workforce from overseas to UK businesses and public services. Nevertheless, the argument that sustained net immigration is needed to fill vacancies, and that immigrants do the jobs that locals cannot or will not do, is fundamentally flawed. It ignores the potential alternatives to immigration for responding to labour shortages, including the price adjustments of a competitive labour market and the associated increase in local labour supply that can be expected to occur in the absence of immigration (para 122).

229. Immigration designed to address short term shortages may have the unintended consequence of creating the conditions that encourage shortages of local workers in the longer term (para 123).

Edited by maxwell

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Good luck to them. They got on their bike, found work, earned their families a better life and now that's no longer on offer in the UK they're going to find it somewhere else. It's difficult to have anything other than admiration for these people.

Edited by frozen_out

HOLA4422
How did we manage before the mass immigration

Perhaps the population was healthier back then (as evidenced by disability figures ;)) and more able to do this demanding physical work.

Seriously, I grew up in a farming community in the 1970s and there certainly used to be British people doing manual farm work. Hell, I used to do it myself, unpaid, as a child/teenager (I wonder how many farm kids are in the labour force today?)

I'm pretty sure the farm labourers were on dismal wages though -- perhaps below minimum wage or what they could get on the dole today -- and had a very low standard of living.

HOLA4423
How did we manage before the mass immigration

Eastern Europeans were entering legally each summer to harvest crops cheaply for many years before the 2004 EU expansion allowed them in for any purpose, under the immigration "vol-ag" scheme as we knew it, basically a simple and quick way to issue work permits for agircultural volunteer workers (sounds like they used to sweat in the fields out of the goodness of their heart and not for money!).

Surprisingly for those of us whose job it was to chase and removed them, very few vol-ags used to abscond from the terms of their summer only visas - because they used to work every summer then live like kings back in post-communism dead economies for the winter, they used to be careful not to blot their records.

I am guessing that if the NFU kicks up a stink about labour shortages, the vol-ag scheme will be widened to include Mongolians and even further east until we reach back to Wales! Of course there were always a healthy smattering of illegals amongst the legal vol-ags too, Farmer Giles types are not too fussy and would just blame the employment agencies anyway so would avoid prosecution

HOLA4424
HOLA4425