House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sheer Heart Attack

Hpc Insults - Linguistic Changes After The Crash

My good lady used the term "buy-to-let landlord" as a term of ridicule yesterday. I found this rather interesting as my degree was English Language & Linguistics (yes, I know it's as useful and needed as a degree in Sports and Leisure Management) and one of the modules I did all those years ago was how language changes to reflect the events of the time.

She was reading about Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and she made the comment that they had invested their funds as wisely as the said "buy-to-let landlord".

If this is going to be as big and gloomy as it looks, I wonder how it will be reflected in people's everyday language? Has your use of language changed to reflect the crunch/crash or membership of this place? Have you heard anyone else's choice of insult/ridicule change?

The BBC were explaning "Bear Market" as a phrase viewers would not understand. Not just the possible 20% definition but the idea of markets falling.

They are also the only ones visible, to use "quotation marks" around the term.

I found these two bits far more interesting than annoying as they didn't spin it any direction, it was put across as novel, exciting and intriguing.

My good lady used the term "buy-to-let landlord" as a term of ridicule yesterday. I found this rather interesting as my degree was English Language & Linguistics (yes, I know it's as useful and needed as a degree in Sports and Leisure Management) and one of the modules I did all those years ago was how language changes to reflect the events of the time.

She was reading about Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and she made the comment that they had invested their funds as wisely as the said "buy-to-let landlord".

If this is going to be as big and gloomy as it looks, I wonder how it will be reflected in people's everyday language? Has your use of language changed to reflect the crunch/crash or membership of this place? Have you heard anyone else's choice of insult/ridicule change?

PS

I am interested too in linguistics or more specifically the method of using language to reconstruct the public's thought on whatever issue is necessary. The transmission of these ideas is central to the success of political correctness for one thing. Referring to something someone said on here the other day (and coming to your example) about why they are not using the term "crash" but instead every other euphemism under the sun - slide, slump, slip, etc. they are even frightened to say correction. The point was made that they did last time round so why not now, but I am not sure they referred to the "crash" in the 1990s until towards the end at least. They need to modify the way people think about the crash by referring to it as a "slight blip" etc. This is probably a diktat from central government with the aim of limiting panic in the market.

As fir insults, estate agents have always been vilified, and rightly so, and I am sure buy-to-let landlord will catch on as a term of ridicule.

My personal current favourite is "loan drone" - I saw it on the forum for the first time the other day and I had a little chuckle to myself.

My language has changed because of this place. HPC.co.uk has opened my eyes to so many things. I got quite gloomy about everything a couple of months after I joined after learning the truth and a couple of members rightly took the michael and told me to cheer up - education, protection strategies and therapy in one handy place!

I wonder how long it will be before we see BTL support groups.

I was told that house prices could only go up, I'm homeless and penniless this wasn't what InsideTrack promised.....

They could all sit around and discuss there issues.

PS

I am interested too in linguistics or more specifically the method of using language to reconstruct the public's thought on whatever issue is necessary. The transmission of these ideas is central to the success of political correctness for one thing. Referring to something someone said on here the other day (and coming to your example) about why they are not using the term "crash" but instead every other euphemism under the sun - slide, slump, slip, etc. they are even frightened to say correction. The point was made that they did last time round so why not now, but I am not sure they referred to the "crash" in the 1990s until towards the end at least. They need to modify the way people think about the crash by referring to it as a "slight blip" etc. This is probably a diktat from central government with the aim of limiting panic in the market.

As fir insults, estate agents have always been vilified, and rightly so, and I am sure buy-to-let landlord will catch on as a term of ridicule.

Agreed. The effects of sleazy politicos and their churnalist chums on language is quite amazing.

Take drinking for example. A concerted attempt is now underway to victimise and demonise drinkers and party-goers. "Binge drinking" and "binge drinkers" now have lots of terms and attitudes projected towards them by the government and media. It's like lingusitic political correctness in reverse - trying to exclude from society rather than include.

There is, as you rightly say, a lot of "fear management" taking place in the media now regarding the crash. The recent announcement of a hugely disruptive financial event by Barclays, RBS, Fortis and BIS has been completely ignored by the mainstream meeja despite the fact it's coming and it's scary. I do believe that people's thoughts can be controlled by the words the media use to describe events and there is a concerted effort to play down the mess we're all in.

I have a suggestion for Buy To Let in sign language.

Buy- wave as in when some one is leaving

To- stick up two fingers Churchillian style

Let- join thumb and forefinger,.move hand up and down in vertical motion -as in the internationally recognised sign for w###er.

Let- join thumb and forefinger,.move hand up and down in vertical motion -as in the internationally recognised sign for w###er.

I like that and it works, although it did take me 20 mins to perfect the last move :lol::lol::lol:

That's good work.

I'd love to know what the sign language gestures for "estate agent" and "property flipper" are. :)

That's good work.

I'd love to know what the sign language gestures for "estate agent" and "property flipper" are. :)

Just use the sign for let but hold your nose and look disgusted

Take drinking for example. A concerted attempt is now underway to victimise and demonise drinkers and party-goers. "Binge drinking" and "binge drinkers" now have lots of terms and attitudes projected towards them by the government and media.

In my day we used to call that "the weekend"

I do believe that people's thoughts can be controlled by the words the media use to describe events and there is a concerted effort to play down the mess we're all in.

For sure. Thing is, people are easily controlled so long as they continue to think they're rich. While most never were and simply lived under this illusion thanks to credit, the game's up and they're starting to rumble it. Then there be trouble at mill.

join thumb and forefinger,.move hand up and down in vertical motion -as in the internationally recognised sign for w###er.

What, "waiter"? I'll try that the next time I'm eating out.