House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NorthamptonBear

Boats / Static Caravans

Even though crash seems to be up to mach 3 and accelerating....

Now seems to be a good time to experience other kinds of living.

Boats, static caravans and yurts? Any other ideas, any specific places where you could get broadband (preferably, also have a rubbish 3G card) - especially if near Northampton / London.

Have signed up to a company who let you rent cheap, in unusual places (empty hotels etc) - but any other ideas?

Im thinking of buying a small narrowboat for living on at weekends, as i work away from home all week with paid for accommodation atm, i cant see the point in renting / paying council tax etc when im only ever there for 2 days a week.

Now's not the time to spend any kind of serious money on a boat. I see Walton Marine have just announced a "summer sale" with a hefty 15-20% off everything, the first cracks that will see probably half of all British yacht brokers, boat builders, chandlers, and marina operators go bust.

I saw it before in the 1989-95 crash. I had a boat sink on her moorings during the 1987 hurricane, by the time the insurance money came through we were into the crash and I ended up getting a boat that was twice the size for half the insurance money.

If you think house prices can fall fast wait until you see what happens around our coastline to the boating business. A guy moored near me, proudly told how he'd mew'd fifteen times in the last twelve years, that's more than once every year! When indebted bufoons like that get made redundant they have no resources to fall back on, but they've a £100k yacht that's eating up £10k a year in running costs. In other words they have to sell and sell quickly. Trouble is the boat builder that made their £100k boats are now desperate and selling them for £70k, that drives down the second hand price, and with yacht brokers stuffed with desperate sellers he'll struggle to get £15k for his pride and joy. No wonder so many end up running them onto the rocks and claiming an insurance write-off.

Edited by silver surfer

Camelot Guardians. Aimed at key workers who don't mind sharing and looking after empty premsies. Sometimes factories / hotels. You have to be in full time employment though <_<

Cheap, not rent exactly, but a weekly licence 'fee'. Less than £100 pw normally, INCLUDING utilities and council tax. Short notice to vacate is a downside as is the compulsory purchase of a first aid pack and possession of your own 3rd party insurance.

http://www.camelotproperty.com/home.php/b/gbr-en/faq/

Now's not the time to spend any kind of serious money on a boat. I see Walton Marine have just announced a "summer sale" with a hefty 15-20% off everything, the first cracks that will see probably half of all British yacht brokers, boat builders, chandlers, and marina operators go bust.

I saw it before in the 1989-95 crash. I had a boat sink on her moorings during the 1987 hurricane, by the time the insurance money came through we were into the crash and I ended up getting a boat that was twice the size for half the insurance money.

If you think house prices can fall fast wait until you see what happens around our coastline to the boating business. A guy moored near me, proudly told how he'd mew'd fifteen times in the last twelve years, that's more than once every year! When indebted bufoons like that get made redundant they have no resources to fall back on, but they've a £100k yacht that's eating up £10k a year in running costs. In other words they have to sell and sell quickly. Trouble is the boat builder that made their £100k boats are now desperate and selling them for £70k, that drives down the second hand price, and with yacht brokers stuffed with desperate sellers he'll struggle to get £15k for his pride and joy. No wonder so many end up running them onto the rocks and claiming an insurance write-off.

Fully aware, I was after renting!

Snail shell

What about one of these. Be ok on the floodplains.

Fantastic. I love the idea that you can hampsterwheel it around to move the thing.

Pile in now, prices for snailshell houseing solutions only ever go up.

It's happening again. I've been looking at yachts over the last couple of months. Prices are being smashed so hard it's hilarious. Looking forward to actually being serious about buying in a year or two's time.

It's happening again. I've been looking at yachts over the last couple of months. Prices are being smashed so hard it's hilarious. Looking forward to actually being serious about buying in a year or two's time.

Had I STRed in time - a 44ft Bavaria in the med might have been my home for the next 2-3 years :(

Guest Skint Academic
Snail shell

What about one of these. Be ok on the floodplains.

Why not just use a tent and if you need to travel on the water an inflatable kayak??

Why not just use a tent and if you need to travel on the water an inflatable kayak??

Good idea

I picked up a 2 man tent in Tesco's for £8 the other week. I go on quite a few diving weekends and to cut costs B&B and caravans are too expensive for us tight wads so £10 a night campsites are the order of the day.

I could happily live in a static caravan - they are bigger than some of the 'luxury' apartments that are being built nowadays! :lol:

I could happily live in a static caravan - they are bigger than some of the 'luxury' apartments that are being built nowadays! :lol:

With fantastic sea views ;)

caravan.jpg

post-12527-1215816741_thumb.jpg